Love to convert to VB, but no proper import possible!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sat4all
    • Feb 2008
    • 3.6.x

Love to convert to VB, but no proper import possible!

Hi,

We have a rather large community (approx. 40.000 members, 237.132 threads and 1.466.529 posts). www.sat4all.com
    A friend of ours is a licenced vbulletin user and was kind enough to make his server (dual xeon 2.8 with 8GB of RAM) available for a test import using IMPEX 1.88.
    We are running IMPEX standalone and followed all instructions for large imports.
    User import is fine. Threads import takes 21 hours and the post import is bound to take a few days.
    This is not acceptable for us. This would mean we would have to close our forums for at least a few days.
    Is there any way to get this done (much) faster?
    Is there also a way to import the PM's?
    We would like to get ridd of UBB.threads 7.2.2. and convert to vbulletin, but at this point this just doesn't seem to be possible.
    We would love to buy a vbulletin license and are also prepared to do all we can to help create a proper import function for large UBB.Threads communities.

Kind regards,

Ron
  • Sat4all
    • Feb 2008
    • 3.6.x

FYI,

We did take following messures:

1. We dropped indexes before import
    2. Dupe check is off
    3. The ubb.threads threads table had a FULLTEXT index. We dropped it
    4. We did do a 'alter table thread disable key'
    5. Importing 20.000 records at a time.
    6. We run impex stand-alone.

The Threads table starts importing at 1150 records at a time, but sinks back to 250 at a time after a while and takes about 21 hours to import.

I guess you can emagine how long our 1.5 million posts will take to import:-)

Ron
    Last edited by Sat4all; Mon 25 Feb '08, 2:45am.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
      • Jun 2002

Please see http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116494. If you've done that, could you post in the Impex forum please?
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Sat4all
        • Feb 2008
        • 3.6.x

Sounds great, but before we spensd $$$ on a license, it would be nice to know if it's going to do any good.
        Without a proper importing system for large UBB.Threads communities, there is no point in purchasing one.

Hence our pre-sales question:-)

Ron

Comment

• Jerry
          • Dec 2002
          • 1.1.x

I regularly do and assist with imports of that size, and it doesn't take that long.

The Threads table starts importing at 1150 records at a time, but sinks back to 250 at a time after a while and takes about 21 hours to import.
          There is no way ImpEx will do that.

As you are unlicensed I can only assume you are running a pirated copy and will not answer your questions as to what you are doing wrong.
          I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• Sat4all
            • Feb 2008
            • 3.6.x

Hi Jerry,

It's not a nice thing to do to simple assume we are using a pirated copy.
            As I explained in my first post, a friend of ours has a licenced copy and helped us do a test import on his vbulletin/server.
            We just wanted to know if it's possible to import our rather large ubb.threads community to vb before spending $$$ as it would be a waste of money if that would not work.
            We just found out that you do a 'SELECT importthreadid FROM thread
            WHERE importthreadid=XXX, AND importforumid=1', without an index on importthreadid and importforumid.
            After creating those indexes we tried a thread table import and succeeded in less then 4 minutes. (before it took 21 hours).
            We will now complete the full import on our "pirated copy" and when we are happy about the result, get ourselfs a licenced version and convert.
            I think it's better to work together and not against each other. I don't mind spending a few $$$ on your software, but I do need to know if it will meet our requirements.
            Last question: Will you support ubb.threads PM import on your next impex version?
            Can we help you with that in any way?

Kind regards,

Ron
            Last edited by Sat4all; Mon 25 Feb '08, 1:54pm.

Comment

• Vtec44
              • Jan 2005
              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Jerry
              I regularly do and assist with imports of that size, and it doesn't take that long.
              The answer is yes, regularly.
              So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

• Sat4all
                • Feb 2008
                • 3.6.x

I'm not sure what you mean by your responce, but we tried using IMPEX on our UBB.threads 7.2.2 and importing the threads table (237176 records) DID take 21 hours.
                After modification it does the same thing in less then 4 minutes.
                I just can't understand why impex does a SELECT (maybe to support resume after time-outs??).
                The SELECT significantly slows down the import and makes IMPEX useless for an import of this size. As the table size increases, performance of the import decreases (exactly what we experianced at our first attempt without our modification)
                As I'm going to bed now, I won't be able to check if we have a full working import now, but I'll check in again tomorrow.
                And again. I'm just trying to help and get ridd of UBB.threads :-)

Ron

Comment

• SNN
                  • Jul 2006

Ron, according to Jerry, you are showing up as unlicensed, so, I suppose a staff member would post this soon:
                  To get vB support on these forums you first need to be a licensed customer and register for Priority Forum Support. To do this, please go here:

...and enter your email address in one of the boxes. You'll need to have your customer number and password to access the page.

Once you've done this, please post in the appropriate support forum for your version.
                  You can't get support until the staff knows you're not running a pirated copy of vBulletin.

Comment

• Jerry
                    • Dec 2002
                    • 1.1.x

Will you support ubb.threads PM import on your next impex version?
                    That is supported in the current version.

Originally posted by SNN
                    You can't get support until the staff knows you're not running a pirated copy of vBulletin.
                    Indeed.
                    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• KW802
                      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by SNN
                      Ron, according to Jerry, you are showing up as unlicensed, so, I suppose a staff member would post this soon:
                      ... or, at the very least, the "friend" should be posting these questions under his/her confirmed account.
                      [URL="http://coolscifi.com"]Cool Sci-Fi[/URL="http://coolscifi.com"] | [URL="http://awalkerbit.me"]Walking Dead[/URL="awalkerbit.me"]

Comment

• Sat4all
                        • Feb 2008
                        • 3.6.x

You know what i'll do. I just take my chances and get the VB license first thing after a good night sleep.
                        Just prepare youselves to assist us getting ridd of ubb.threads and get sat4all running on VB then:-)

Kind regards,

Ron

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                          • Jun 2002

We're more than happy to help out when we can. But we don't like to help out people who pirate vBulletin. We as users don't have the ability to know who's licensed or not. Only Jelsoft Team members, which is why we direct people to a particular forum.

Oh and we're prepared. Try to do your worse
                          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Sat4all
                            • Feb 2008
                            • 3.6.x

Hi,

Licence has been paid for. Email adresses have been entered.
                            Thx,

Ron

Comment

• Sat4all
                              • Feb 2008
                              • 3.6.x

I do need to get back to this.
                              BEFORE buying the official vbulletin license we had a small test on a friends server who is runnig vb 3.6.8 officially and was kind enough to help us test the ubb.threads 7.2.2 import using his IMPEX version 1.88
                              BEFORE buying a VB license we wanted to know if it was possible to do a proper import since we did not succeed on our friends server.
                              We did NOT get an answer. What we did get was a few people of vbulletin staff poiting out the fact that we needed to buy a license before we could get ANY support.
                              We did not ask for support though. We just wanted an answer to a fair pre-sales question.
                              Now we have bougth the license and run the import on our own server using VB 3.6.8 and IMPEX 1.88 we noticed that really nothing much works and is is NOT possible to do a proper import.
                              1. Without modifications import takes a few days. (due to SELECT queries who are not supposed the be there).
                              2. Usergroups are not imported. Groups are, but they simply are empty and therefor useless.
                              * Edit. This works. A typical case of RTFM == 3. All users are standard banned. ==
                              4. Passwords are NOT imported (code is incomplete and commented out in the IMPEX script). We fixed that ourselves.
                              5. PM's are NOT imported, though some staff member told us that would work
                              6. Tons of smaller problems that make converting a nightmare!

As I wrote above, my pre-sales question has been responded to fast enough, but our support questions and first bug report, do seem to be forgotten. (posted by ronaldd).

As mentioned numerous times we would like to convert to VB and have even offered to help fixing these bugs and shortcommings.

As we Dutch people say: Could we hit some bold-headed nails please?
                              I think the english phrase is: Could we kick it into the fifth gear please?

Kind regards,

Ron
                              Last edited by Sat4all; Fri 29 Feb '08, 12:00pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...