Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seattle_Mike
    • Feb 2008

Newbie Basic Questions

I am familar with building web pages etc. but have never set up a web bulletin board. I frequent another site that runs off v Bulletin and like the format, reliability etc., and have been asked if I could set up a site of my own.

The only ISP I have is Comcast and permission for personal web pages, so not sure if I can run the board s/w on their site or not...question one. Is this possible or desireable? I would anticipate maybe 50 people accessing the board I am thinking of doing, so traffic would not be very heavy.

They have a domain name already, so I won't need to acquire one.

If I need to seek out an ISP server where I can run the board, what is the best way to do this? What kind of ballpark costs would something like this run? I don't think I'll have any issues of installing s/w and maintaining the board s/w but I'm totally in the dark as far as where to get started to get server space etc.
    Thanks
  • helnick
    • Feb 2008

hostgator.com 5 bucks a month or so, you dont need a dedicated server for 50 peeps so th lowest pachage should do fine. gl

Comment

• beishe8
      • Oct 2005
      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Seattle_Mike
      If I need to seek out an ISP server where I can run the board, what is the best way to do this? What kind of ballpark costs would something like this run? I don't think I'll have any issues of installing s/w and maintaining the board s/w but I'm totally in the dark as far as where to get started to get server space etc.
      Install phpbb3 for testing purposes.How is it going? Good? You may start thinking about vBulletin.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...