X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheAdlerian
    • Feb 2008

Guide to Install and Upload?

Hi,

I'd like to create a forum aimed at raising charity money in my local community, and I've read that vBulletin has a very good rep as a product, so I'd like to go with it.

In the past I've created some sites with dreamweaver, so I have some experience, but not a lot. I've never added a forum but would love to. I've read that dreamweaver, older versions, can cause problems with vBulletin, but I don't know an alternate way to do it.

So, I'm looking for a well done guide about how to install and upload the program in the the easiest possible manner. It would be great if someone could direct me to such a thing, as I'm excited but inexperienced and want to get moving on the project.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
  • marcjd
    • Jan 2003
    • 3.8.x

You will want to check out this thread. It will answer all of your questions. It includes a FAQ, minimum system requirements, etc. Non-vb pages can still be edited with Dreamweaver. No real reason to edit vb pages with Dreamweaver.
    Marc

U.S. Politics Online

Comment

• TheAdlerian
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by marcjd
      You will want to check out this thread. It will answer all of your questions. It includes a FAQ, minimum system requirements, etc. Non-vb pages can still be edited with Dreamweaver. No real reason to edit vb pages with Dreamweaver.
      Thanks, the info about database space is useful.

Comment

• TheAdlerian
        • Feb 2008

Of course, after posting this I found an online manual for the program.

However, that doesn't mean I entirely get it.

On this page it seems to imply that there's no program needed upload vBulletin, rather you just drag it from your c drive onto the folder of your hosts site.

Is that correct, because it seems too easy.

Edit: It looks like you have to download the program Smart FTP to get the job done, yes?

Comment

• marcjd
          • Jan 2003
          • 3.8.x

You need to use an FTP client. ...but it is pretty much that simple after you make the changes in the config file and have a db in place.
          Marc

U.S. Politics Online

Comment

• TheAdlerian
            • Feb 2008

Well, that sounds frighteningly easy.

So, when the program is unloaded to the server, does it just start functioning?

Comment

• marcjd
              • Jan 2003
              • 3.8.x

You follow the manual and run the install script for the first time. The install script is quite easy. You set up your forums in the admin control panel, how you want your layout to look, etc. Pretty easy. Read the manual for a new install and that will give you an indication of how easy it is...pretty easy.

It only gets a little tricky on a board already up and running with a lot of modifications on it.
              Marc

U.S. Politics Online

Comment

• TheAdlerian
                • Feb 2008

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...