X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • badmaash
    • Feb 2008
    • 3.6.x

Hoping to purchase vBulletin

I am cuurently using an osCommerce website and would like to add a forum to a sub-domain on the same domain.

Is it possible for users to use the same username & password to access the forum that they used to register on my website, therefore not having to register twice?

I take it that vBulletin can be reskinned to anyones liking, there is no limitation?

I would like to pull say the top 5 posts from the forum on my website, is this posiible?

I would also like pull products from my website and have them automativally appear on the forum, can this be done?

Thanks
  • nexialys
    • May 2004
    • 1.1.x

1- you may require a "bridge" to be coded to interact between your two engines, as the two authentication process are not actually compatible... but i'm sure someone at http://vbulletin.org is available for such job.

you can reskin vBulletin without a problem, the templates system is flexible.

you can pull any number of posts to be displayed externally with some tweaks available at vbulletin.org... to your taste.

to appear on the forum, the content of your osCommerce need another tweak that is actually available at vbulletin.org, that would do the same as pulling posts from the forum...
    oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• badmaash
      • Feb 2008
      • 3.6.x

Okay..

..Thanks for your help.

The most important part is to have the forum username password integration to be done, how big of a job is this?

What programming language knowledge is required since I can program and may do it myself. WHat is resources do you have so that I can achieve creating the bridge
      ?

Thanks

Comment

• Balthasorus
        • Oct 2007
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by badmaash
        ..Thanks for your help.

The most important part is to have the forum username password integration to be done, how big of a job is this?

What programming language knowledge is required since I can program and may do it myself. WHat is resources do you have so that I can achieve creating the bridge
        ?

Thanks

It's a pretty big job and its most likely gonna be done in PHP

Comment

• badmaash
          • Feb 2008
          • 3.6.x

Is it possible....

.....to get the latest vBulletin and then after the two have been integrated get the licence?

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

Originally posted by badmaash
            .....to get the latest vBulletin and then after the two have been integrated get the licence?
            Sorry I don't understand the question.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Floris
              • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Balthasorus
              It's a pretty big job and its most likely gonna be done in PHP
              Yes it requires using a plugin or a bridge addon, but it is not that hard to do. vBulletin offers an extended manual and API, data managers and is easy to customize using the builtin style, language, and hook system. We get customers daily who do this and seem to integrate their site properly with their new online social community such as vBulletin.

If you have no experience with PHP I don't recommend to do this all yourself, and to find someone who has the experience.

For information about vBulletin and what it can do, check out our manual, etc.

If you're interested in vBulletin integration check out our resource community vBulletin.org and perhaps inquire with osCommerse and the other third party software you're integrating it into to see if they perhaps already offer such modules.

Please note that vBulletin can't support code they they didn't write or customized forums, so always make a backup before you customize it. (as with any software)

Comment

• badmaash
                • Feb 2008
                • 3.6.x

Hi

...my other question was, is it possible to get a copy of VBulletin, do the integration and then pay for it. Or do you have to purchase vBulletin first?

Comment

• Floris
                  • Dec 2001

No, a license is required to run vBulletin. Without buying a license you can't get the files.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...