Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shadowlt
    • Feb 2008

Spam Control?

My forum is for a small online gaming community. We've been using PHPBB for a long time, and the spambot issue has gotten completely out of control. PHPBB does have an image verification system built in, but it doesn't seem to be worth much. While the many advanced features of vBulletin are attractive, spending the money/time to make the switch would be useless in the end if I can't keep the spambots out of my forums. What can vBulletin do for me?
  • TomJames
    • Feb 2006
    • 3.8.x

I haven't had any issue with spam bots on 3.6.8, in 3.7 it seems to have even better spam control features.
    - TomJames

Comment

• Onimua
      • Apr 2005

vBulletin's CAPTCHA should be able to keep most spammers away, and in 3.7 there are even more robust anti-spam features that will further keep spammers away from your site. It won't stop all of them (like human spammers registering), but overall it should stop most.

I'm not sure about phpBB, but with vBulletin you can moderate new members, create usergroups with permissions in which you have to approve their first few posts/threads and after a certain amount of posts (which you can set) they can be moves to a new usergroup with no restrictions (meaning they've proven to not be a spammer).

There's various ways to prevent spammers on your site.
      Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

• beishe8
        • Oct 2005
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Shadowlt
        ...spending the money/time to make the switch would be useless in the end if I can't keep the spambots out of my forums. What can vBulletin do for me?
        "Questions and answers" built in vB 3.7
        "Is Bot" from vB.org

0 bots.(zero)

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Makc666
          • Jan 2005
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Shadowlt
          My forum is for a small online gaming community. We've been using PHPBB for a long time, and the spambot issue has gotten completely out of control. PHPBB does have an image verification system built in, but it doesn't seem to be worth much.
          There is already a thread on this forum about captcha and spamers:
          ->> CAPTCHA / Spam problems

You can use "Advanced Visual Confirmation" for phpBB 2.0.*
          You can get it here -> http://www.amigalink.de/phpbb2/downl...=detail&id=101

## Mod Title: Advanced Visual Confirmation
          ## Mod Author: AmigaLink < [email protected] > (Markus Schmidt) http://www.EssenMitFreude.info
          ##
          ## Mod Description: This MOD replaces the original CAPTCHA of the phpBB Visual Confirmation.
          ##
          ## Mod Version: 1.2.1
          phpBB 3 has new captcha and it works ok.
          ...... sigpic ...... "А стукачков мы не любим!"

My Modification: Quote Post in PM - passes to new personal message (PM) post's text, username, etc.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...