Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris1234
    • Jan 2008

Please help me I'm a newb.

If i wanted to make a forums website how much would it cost me besides the $160? This includes all the software that I may need and all the other things required to make a good website.
  • Onimua
    • Apr 2005

You'd need to purchase a domain (from GoDaddy or Namecheap I think is two of the more preferred companies), and then purchase a server to host your site on (if you're just starting, then I would suggest going for a simple Shared Hosting package unless you're expecting a large amount of traffic in a short amount of time).
    Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

• Chris1234
      • Jan 2008

Thanks for the quick reply, if i get a simple shared hosting package and my forums grow will i be able to change to a different server?

Comment

• Onimua
        • Apr 2005

Of course. You might need to backup your database, and upload it onto the new server/transfer files, or your host could do it for you; in any case, you can move to a new server or host when you need to.

Comment

• Chris1234
          • Jan 2008

Ok so from what I understand I need to get a domain name, then I need to get a webhoster, then I need to buy the lisence to vbulletin and then I will have everything I need? If I'm wrong please tell me what all I need to do.

Comment

• Onimua
            • Apr 2005

Pretty much; just make sure that the host has PHP and MySQL installed and you should be set.

Comment

• Chazel
              • Nov 2007

If you're a beginner, I'd recommend using a company like SiteGround to avoid the hassle of pointing your domain to your server, etc. It's really quite easy if you use a company that includes both the domain and hosting in the same package.

Comment

• Chris1234
                • Jan 2008

I'm pretty sure site5 has PHP and MySQL. Am I right?

Comment

• Onimua
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by chaselafon
                  If you're a beginner, I'd recommend using a company like SiteGround to avoid the hassle of pointing your domain to your server, etc. It's really quite easy if you use a company that includes both the domain and hosting in the same package.
                  To be honest, that's not really the best of advice; it's not difficult at all to just make your domain point to nameservers. In case something goes bad with your host (it's happened), then they'd have control of both your server AND domain (and that has had bad results in some a few cases).

Comment

• Chris1234
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by chaselafon
                    That would make more sence I'll check that out.

Comment

• Chris1234
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Onimua
                      To be honest, that's not really the best of advice; it's not difficult at all to just make your domain point to nameservers. In case something goes bad with your host (it's happened), then they'd have control of both your server AND domain (and that has had bad results in some a few cases).
                      Oh so your saying they could lock you in to webhosting forever?

Comment

• Onimua
                        • Apr 2005

Not exactly (although it depends on their terms of service), but if you forget to pay a bill or wish to change servers to another company (or transfer a domain), it could prove much harder to accomplish (and might incorporate extra fees you might not otherwise pay). There's also been a few stories about companies taking over both the domain and server from someone.

Comment

• Chris1234
                          • Jan 2008

So I should probably just get a domain name from GoDaddy and the host from Site5 or another webhoster?

Comment

• Onimua
                            • Apr 2005

That would be my recommendation.

Comment

• Chris1234
                              • Jan 2008

Ok I'm beginning to understand this thank you very much for all your help.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...