X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CMarkham
    • Jan 2008
    • 3.6.x

MySQL Database size...250 MB

First off I am interested in starting a Forum and I am concerned about the maximum number of members/threads/posts/attachments etc. I was looking at Brinkster web hosting and the maximum MySQL database size is 250MB. According to vBulletin they gave an example of like 5,800+ members, 40,000 threads, 662,000 posts, 70,000 private messages and 8,000 attachments. The total MySQL database size was 940MB. I dont want to go ahead with this domain and then be limited for what I can have. Is there another web hosting site? I know there is host gator with unlimited, but it uses Linux, I dont know anything about Linux but do I really have to know anything about the operating system of the hosting site?
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

I wouldn't go with a hosting provider that put a limit on the size of the database. I feel that such limits are artificial and simply a way for them to get more money from you than out of any real concern for resource usage or providing the best service to their customers.

vBulletin requires a web server that includes PHP (minimum version 4.3.3) and MySQL (minimum 4.0.16) installed. As long as you choose a host that meets these requirements you will be able to install and run our software.

Most credible hosts now support both php and MySQL, and can run our software. We do not make official recommendations, but we do have a hosting review forum here:
    Discuss PHP and MySQL hosting here. Find out which hosts people like, and which to stay well clear of.

You can also look at http://www.webhostingtalk.com, an independent review site. Sometimes you will find hosting specials there that aren't available elsewhere on the web.

As far as the operating system is concerned, on a shared hosting environment your hosting provider will maintain that. You do not need to know how to operate it. Most hosting providers will give you a control panel to access your site's settings through a web browser.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Jefff
      • Jun 2005
      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      I wouldn't go with a hosting provider that put a limit on the size of the database.
      I wouldn't go with a hosting provider that claims something is "unlimited". Better to shop around and find a host with a good reputation and sensible limits that will give you space to grow.

Comment

• Dilly
        • Mar 2005

There's a difference between claiming unlimited mysql space, and not limiting mysql space.

The latter means that you are given a set amount of space for your site, and this includes both files and database.

Comment

• Martin
          • Apr 2000
          • 3.5.x

I have:
          Threads: 303,904, Posts: 5,427,033, Members: 36,283

I store all attachments, sig pics, avatars and user uploaded content in the file system rather than the database. My database size is 3.2 Gb, including the blog. By the time your forum reaches this size you will be on a dedicated server, so the size won't matter.
          Webmaster:
          @forumz

Comment

• vengefuldeath87
            • Apr 2006
            • 3.5.x

my advice is to get a web host who offers cpanel, which runs on top of linux. this gives you a nice web based portal to manage your website, and is dead easy to use.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...