X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • minesota
    • Jan 2008

Enquiry on vbulletin's social networking features

I got reference from some forum about vbulletin's social networking
    features. What specifically I am looking for ( these features are somewhat provided by xoops-yogurt/drupal-OG/elgg or paid ones like phpfox/agriya but not fully done )

User to user Messaging

- if user b posts message on/for user a, user a should see a reply button below user b's comment - this should open a reply box, and when replied the message should get deposited at user b's page, without user a having to leave his page. One can see orkut ( how it handles scrap) to see what I mean.

- conversation type of display of comments between two users : thus when I see a message in my page it should have 3 options below it
    -- reply -- delete -- 1:1
    the last one opening a page that enlists exchanges between myself and that person only

Groups or Communities
    By default and out-of-box groups should have ability
    - to have their own uploadable icon or logo
    - to have their own simple forum ( not to be mixed with site forum )
    - group album, group event calendar and group poll

Apparently, "Social Groups" on vbulletin cannot do any group discussion ( simple forum ) or post group event. Also the profile page do not show the group icons.

Another thing which would be nice, where we can input tags for any and all content (eg tag in profile ) and set privacy levels centrally like who can see profile, album, blog etc . These can be perhaps be done in the present beta but they do not appear to be coherent from one content ( eg.blog ) to another (eg. album )

Thanks and regards
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

- if user b posts message on/for user a, user a should see a reply button below user b's comment - this should open a reply box, and when replied the message should get deposited at user b's page, without user a having to leave his page. One can see orkut ( how it handles scrap) to see what I mean.
    No, when you go to someone's profile page and want to leave a msg, you can do it there using a msg form.

If the user then reads that and wants to reply, they have the choice to do so on their own profile, or by going to the profile of the user who posted. It won't push the msg to the other users' profile via a reply.

- conversation type of display of comments between two users : thus when I see a message in my page it should have 3 options below it
    -- reply -- delete -- 1:1
    the last one opening a page that enlists exchanges between myself and that person only
    You can reply to a msg, but they're not threaded.
    You can edit your own msgs, and as staff you can edit msgs by others.
    You can delete your own msgs, and per usergroup I believe you can also set it to allow the user to delete all msgs on his own profile. and staff of course can delete all msgs.

There's no overview between individual conversations.

vBulletin has the option for a user to use the forum in order to have a topic with replies, to make things specific. There's also the option in vB to use the privmsg system which makes private msgs between 2 users possible. Using reply / use quote in reply you can build up a response system yeah.

You can't get a list of just a stream of msgs between 2 users.

By default and out-of-box groups should have ability
    - to have their own uploadable icon or logo
    - to have their own simple forum ( not to be mixed with site forum )
    - group album, group event calendar and group poll
    A user can upload an image to his album, and use the image as a social group image (if I am not mistaken, i remember doing this)

A social group is not a forum, so you won't get a forum. Leaving msgs to a social group is already possible.

You can already add pictures to a social group, no need for a separate album, though I must say this would be a nice option to have as group owner (allow users to submit msgs to group album).
    You can't create group calendar events or polls. These are all features that better fit a full fledged forum.

If a social group is big enough to be it's own forum, the site admin is better of making a forum for it instead. So individual threads, polls, and calendars can be created.

Apparently, "Social Groups" on vbulletin cannot do any group discussion ( simple forum ) or post group event. Also the profile page do not show the group icons.
    You can leave msgs to social groups.

The profile page doesn't show the icons to avoid clutter.

Another thing which would be nice, where we can input tags for any and all content (eg tag in profile ) and set privacy levels centrally like who can see profile, album, blog etc . These can be perhaps be done in the present beta but they do not appear to be coherent from one content ( eg.blog ) to another (eg. album )
    Thank you for the feature suggestion, I agree, it would be nice if the tag feature expands throughout the forum, including albums, social groups, and profiles. And one could search through these categories for tags or global.
    Last edited by Floris; Thu 10 Jan '08, 1:00pm.

Comment

• minesota
      • Jan 2008

Thanks for the clarifications.
      That somewhat makes purchase of vbb worth reconsidering at present for social networking addages
      currently.

User to user messaging becomes less attractive unless I can reply to it from my own page either by staying in my own page or going to the other by a direct link.

Social groups by default means each group can have a simple forum even if it be 1 message. This is how all Groups are designed and made useful by actual sites like orkut, myspace etc and this is how even paid or free scripts have it ( paid like phpfox, dzoic, agriya or free ones like drupal-og etc ). Social group without basic forum plus/minus event calendar, poll is nothing but just a photo or a post where you are subscrbing and adding comments.

Thanks again for the informations.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...