X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WaterFall
    • Jan 2008

how popular is this forum software?

Hi,

How popular is this forum software? Any idea how many live sites are running version 3.0+?

Is it more popular than phpbb?
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

I'd say vBulletin is considerably popular, however due to the nature of phpBB and vBulletin chances are there are more phpBB sites than there are vBulletin sites.

Comment

• nexialys
      • May 2004
      • 1.1.x

simple to know... search for vbulletin on google...:

about 7,220,000 English pages for vbulletin

about 8,400,000 English pages for phpbb

the goal is not the number of pages, but the efficiency of the engine... phpBB is free, so there is a chance it is more flooded across the net... you can compare with the most popular blog system on the net:

about 13,600,000 English pages for wordpress

.. the reason why we have more pages here is that Wordpress have a good SEO system from the start, making google indexing a LOAD of pages compared to a forum.
      oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• Chazel
        • Nov 2007

Obviously, phpBB is going to be the software with the most users. It's not because it's better, it's because it's free. Any Joe and Jane who run a website will say "Hey, let's put a forum on our website, just for the hell of it! After all, it is free.", and then end up not using it.

Popularity isn't really something to consider when choosing a forum software, though. With phpBB, keep in mind you'll be in line with the tens of thousands of other phpBB users waiting for official support from only a handful of volunteers.

Comment

• WaterFall
          • Jan 2008

yeah true, just wanted an idea on the # of live sites using version 3.x+.

doing a google search is not accurate at all.

I'm really liking the directiong 3.7 has gone though.

Comment

• Zaiaku
            • Jul 2007
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by chaselafon
            Obviously, phpBB is going to be the software with the most users. It's not because it's better, it's because it's free. Any Joe and Jane who run a website will say "Hey, let's put a forum on our website, just for the hell of it! After all, it is free.", and then end up not using it.
            This is a very true statement.
            zaiaku|umkz

Comment

• StarShaper
              • Nov 2005
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Zaiaku
              This is a very true statement.
              There are a lot of people driving a ford.

And there are some people out there with a Porsche.

Which one is better?

Comment

• bderen
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by StarShaper
                There are a lot of people driving a ford.

And there are some people out there with a Porsche.

Which one is better?

well one is more expensive than other therefore is less popular not necessarily better. Better is relative.

What is better? Faster or Bigger?

ask an average folk who needs a family car and FORD is a better choice.

ask a self-indulging prick with no kids and money to waste and PORSHE is a better choice.

see the point?

Comment

• StarShaper
                  • Nov 2005
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by bderen
                  well one is more expensive than other therefore is less popular not necessarily better. Better is relative.

What is better? Faster or Bigger?

ask an average folk who needs a family car and FORD is a better choice.

ask a self-indulging prick with no kids and money to waste and PORSHE is a better choice.

see the point?
                  Nope! Better means faster, less bugs and significantly more features.

see the point?

Comment

• Alteran Ancient
                    • May 2005
                    • 3.8.x

Guys, last time I checked the top of the forum, it said "Pre-Sales Questions", not all-out debating.

If there's something for free on the street, like a sample for a new drink or alcogel handwash, I'd take it without hesitation. This is exactly what people are doing on the internet; taking whatever is free and using it. Sometimes it's better to pay for something because it's good quality. VFM. Value for Money. What are you getting?

Some people don't think this way, becasue they want something for nothing. Everyone wants something for nothing. That's why they resort to "Warez", or whatever they call it now. Of course, the smarter amongt us know that being cheap and resorting to "Warez" can have dire and legal consequences.

To any vB team member: you might want to suggest a "Debating" sub-forum if this keeps happening.
                    -- David.

If I spend much more time browsing these forums, I could be subjected to: 1. Burnt retinas, 2. Angry customers, 3. Lack of moderation, 4. Arguments.
                    This used to be a nice place; what the hell's gone wrong?

Comment

• John F.
                      • Jan 2008

vB is worth the check cut. Buy the 160 license and cherish it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...