Why is there no social networking in profile?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Breakaway
    • Apr 2007

Why is there no social networking in profile?

In other forums I've seen the option that people can save friends, profile comments etc. Is there anything like that on VB?
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

It will be in Version 3.7 which is under heavy development right now. Keep an eye on the Announcement forum for future news.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• alme
      • Oct 2007
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      It will be in Version 3.7 which is under heavy development right now. Keep an eye on the Announcement forum for future news.
      I'm also very interested in this. It would be nice to have some kind of estimated release date because if it's "too" far away I'm considering installing som kind of hack for this functionality now already. However, if 3.7 is realeased within a few months, it's probably not worth the hassle.

Comment

• alme
        • Oct 2007
        • 3.6.x

After reading more about 3.7 around the forum, I realize you don't estimate realease dates. But maybe you could just estimate wether we should expect it closer to 2 months, 6 months or a year? It would help in decision making for our community.

Comment

• derfy
          • Jul 2005
          • 3.8.x

Just a WAG here, but I would say 6 months. Probably a little less. This is not based on anything factual or any rumors. Just a gut feeling.

Comment

• Breakaway
            • Apr 2007

So has there been any word about how long this will take?

Comment

• Dilly
              • Mar 2005

No.

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                • Sep 2001

Social networking is not a current feature in vbulletin and there is no ETA on when it will be added. I wouldn't factor my plans around its potential availability.
                Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• alme
                  • Oct 2007
                  • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
                  Social networking is not a current feature in vbulletin and there is no ETA on when it will be added. I wouldn't factor my plans around its potential availability.
                  "It will be in Version 3.7 which is under heavy development right now. Keep an eye on the Announcement forum for future news."

Hence our requests for an ETA. I wouldn't be too happy if I built SN functionality around a plugin and then 2 months later 3.7 was released with my SN being incompatible with 3.7's which makes me unable to upgrade vB.

Comment

• MRGTB
                    • May 2005

Can vBulletin not even say if they think were talking within 3 or 6 months, or if it will be later than 6 months away.

Comment

• john2k
                      • Jul 2000

I don't think we're going to have any luck with getting tentative release dates from Jelsoft. I'm guessing it will be somewhere near the end of 2007 and beginning of 2008, simply based on the first version of the blog plugin being released 5 months after it was announced. The blog was released at the end of August, so 5 months after that to finish the SNS... maybe...
                      ...john2k...

Comment

• ---MAD---
                        • Jun 2005
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by alme
                        "It will be in Version 3.7 which is under heavy development right now. Keep an eye on the Announcement forum for future news."

Hence our requests for an ETA. I wouldn't be too happy if I built SN functionality around a plugin and then 2 months later 3.7 was released with my SN being incompatible with 3.7's which makes me unable to upgrade vB.
                        I suggest waiting. 3.7 beta should be out within November/December I am predicting.

Comment

• zglows
                          • Oct 2007
                          • 3.6.x

maybe its out this month!

Comment

• TWTCommish
                            • Jul 2000

vBulletin hasn't ever, to my memory, given away any information or estimates about future release dates. I can certainly understand the policy, but it puts developers like myself in an awkward situation. I'm capable of programming a degree of social networking into my own forum, and was planning to do so before learning that it would be included in the next release. So, if I do do the work, I run the risk of wasting my time if and when the next version is released.

An estimate, in this case, would allow me to decide whether or not the trouble is worthwhile. IE: if it won't be out for several months, it's probably worth my time to program a stop-gap in myself. If not, I should wait.

Moreover, because we've been given next to no information about what the social networking will entail, I can't even determine whether or not it will do what I need. So, I also run the risk of waiting months for the release, only to find out that it doesn't do what I need it to.

As you can see, it's a difficult situation for someone like me. And others, too, I would imagine.
                            Movie Forums - Now With 28% More Bruce Willis

Comment

• alme
                              • Oct 2007
                              • 3.6.x

TWTCommish: Agreed! Some kind of developer blog would be awesome for us customers, who rely on the technology being developed by the vB team.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...