X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Darkblade
    • Jul 2004
    • 3.6.x

License transfer problem

I think this is kind of ridiculous that the vBulletin license can't be transfered at this time because it was already transfered once in the past 12 months. What kind of policy is this, huh? Just tell me. What if someone has sold his site including his license to some other guy and then wants to buy it back? He gotta wait for another 12 months just so he could have his license back when he's the original holder of that license? Yes, I'm talking about myself here. I'm having this needless problem and I just don't get it all. I sold the site to a friend of mine, but now I've bought it back from him including the license, of course, so now I've to wait for like another 12 months? That's not fair! He's just giving it back to me, to the original license holder. He's not planning on transferring it to some other guy or anything like that. Do you understand what I'm saying?

My friend has already submitted a ticket so I can give you the link to it, if that's what you want. Whatever it is, I'm not willing to wait for 12 months just so I could have my license back!
    Metal Gear Forums - Discussion on the popular series of computer and console stealth-based games.

My Mods: Coming Soon | My Tutorials: Coming Soon
  • peterska2
    • Oct 2003
    • 3.7.x

Licenses cannot be transferred within 12 months of a transfer. This is detailed in our license agreement which can be found here:

It is also stated in the communications from ourselves to the new owner and the old owner is instructed that they must be absolutely sure that they want to transfer the license as transfers will not be rescinded.

If you have any further questions regarding this, please feel free to submit a support ticket.

Comment

• Darkblade
      • Jul 2004
      • 3.6.x

Like I said, the losing owner is transferring the license BACK to me, not to some other fellow. Doesn't that sound a bit different to you? I'm sure Jelsoft will make an exception towards this situation.
      Metal Gear Forums - Discussion on the popular series of computer and console stealth-based games.

Comment

• nexialys
        • May 2004
        • 1.1.x

I think they protected themselves by adding this part in the license, so other guys are not playing the ownership ring...

the wording behind this is " why in hell did you transfer your license at the first place if you're to transfer it back to you again "... " think twice before acting like a thumb "...

(i translated here, not related to you.. lol)
        oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• Darkblade
          • Jul 2004
          • 3.6.x

What? English please. I had to transfer the license to him because at that time, I sold the site to him including the license and all since he was the new owner of the site, you see.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Transferring licenses used to be one of the largest issues of fraud we faced. Licenses would be purchased, transferred and then charged back. Or a license would be "transferred" continually and end up powering dozens of websites. This fraud resulted in thousands of dollars of losses on a regular basis and a lot of man-hours to handle. This is why the transfer policy is set up the way it is now, to prevent this fraud. We are sorry that the policy had to be put into place in the first place but a decision had to be made to impact the few license holders doing legitimate transfers, stop transfers altogether or increase the prices of the products to cover our losses.

At this time the policy is not up for review.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Darkblade
              • Jul 2004
              • 3.6.x

So what now? Wait for a whole year in order to get my license back? In that case, then I won't be able to download the latest files and update the license details on my new site such as the site name and URL.

I understand about the fraud that has been going on in the past and I totally respect the policy of license transfers, but could you make an exception this time only, please? I've been a long-time vBulletin customer so a little treat would be real nice of you.

By the way, my friend has paid for one year of licensing, just to let you know that.
              Last edited by Darkblade; Tue 16 Oct '07, 7:51am.

Comment

• Sysop9001
                • Jul 2005
                • 3.8.x

This sounds like a ping pong game...

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  Former Customer Support Manager
                  • Jul 2000

This policy was completely explained to both partiess prior to the transfer and both parties had to agree to it before we would complete the transfer. As Wayne said this policy was instituted because on massive fraud problems with transferred licenses. You and the new owner accepted this when the transfer was made. At this time you will have to wait.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Darkblade
                    • Jul 2004
                    • 3.6.x

Fine then. I guess I haven't got a choice left but to wait.

Thanks anyway!

Comment

• nexialys
                      • May 2004
                      • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Darkblade
                      "but could you make an exception this time only, please? I've been a long-time vBulletin customer so a little treat would be real nice of you."
                      That is the part where any company will not follow... you ask them to break the rules just for you ?!... if all the good customers ask the same, why apply rules then...

"The murderer said "it's only my first murder, please let me go, i was a good citizen until that night, come on, i'm cool, i will not do it again" ...
                      oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                        • Aug 2000

I am closing this because the issue is handled.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...