X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dimitrio
    • Sep 2006
    • 3.6.x

Be smart don't buy this crap....

well to be honest vbulletin as software is excellent, unfurtanely as you know whenever a small god company sells out to a big company something like this happens. Today I got my site removed due a resquest for using a "nulled version" of vbulletin (by the way where I get one?), Funny my notebook has 12 personal licenses registered with jelfsoft for me and my clients in different accounts.

I lost valuable information because Jelsoft didn't took a time to try defend their software and contact this bastard who "have been stealing their work". At least is what I would have done if someone were doing a bad used or stealing my works. In the other hand they contacted my hosting provider (byet) and told them to shutdown my site, when I even have my damm 12 well paid customer #, well most of them paid by clients who wanted a reliable system.

However from now on I'm taking my own license, checking that all the sites are up and do general back ups before Jelsoft makes the same mistake on those site as well. However I highly recommend everybody to try free alternatives that could suit better for your needs instead of vbulletin. Is better not CS than a bad CS. What piss me off is not really what they did, because I admit that they have the right to defend their product much as I have to protect mine, but I recommend a better investigation before enforcing companies to shutoff websites, today I lost all my data and today you lost a good client and maybe good recommendations.

Peace and feel free to delete this account, as I will request to erase the others when the licenses expires, because I won't be working with this product or recommending it again.

Hoping that the new Jelfsoft go deep in their investigation before requesting the shutdown of a site, I might be contacting you guys directly as soon as possible, just to ask for a refound for recent bought lincenses.

Peace...

A vbulletin lover, a hater of the new jelsoft.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

I checked your support tickets and see nothing about this anywhere. Could you please fill out a support ticket with all the relevant deatials so we can investigate what happened? Thanks, and sorry for any inconvenience.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Odysseus
      • May 2001

Originally posted by Dimitrio
      I lost valuable information because Jelsoft didn't took a time to try defend their software and contact this bastard who "have been stealing their work".
      So, your hosting company DELETED your data from their servers, just because of the possibility you might use unlicensed software?
      Despite using possibly unlicensed software, destroying your data was simply illegal - you should really do something about that.

Comment

• nexialys
        • May 2004
        • 1.1.x

... and this is not related to the way Jelsoft protect their software but how YOU protect the content of your site... Jelsoft is not managing your web account.
        oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• Antonio_424
          • May 2006

I guess in a way it was both vBulletin's fault and the hosting's fault. (Mostly vBulletin)

vBulletin contacted the host and said it was a nulled copy (although he says he had it licensed). The host did what it had to do and deleted it off the server since they believed it was truly illegal (since Jelsoft told them it was.)

Maybe next time instead of just messaging the host about it, why not just try and email the board Admin about it first so they can explain their side of the story and see what'll happen from there... ?

Comment

• Fusion
            • Aug 2001
            • 3.8.x

Technically, this was most likely carried out by the licensing enforcer, not Jelsoft directly.
            Granted, the enforcer acts on behalf of Jelsoft so it might be prudent to go over the different scenarios and what the different actions are. Something like this should never, ever happen without some interaction with the license-holder first before the hosting company is contacted.

All IMO, but this approach makes sense.
            Toddler from Hell

Comment

• MRGTB
              • May 2005

Well I'm a little suprised, as I always thought the policy was to try and contact the site owner first to clear things up and also give him the option (if he is indeed running a pirated version), to purchase a licence.

Comment

• Sysop9001
                • Jul 2005
                • 3.8.x

I'm sorry for what happen, but thanks for this info Dimitrio if all what you say is true...just shocked
                I'm thinking too that Jelsoft contact first the site Admin before contact site host to shutdown forums, very bad..very bad..

Comment

• Fusion
                  • Aug 2001
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by MRGTB
                  Well I'm a little suprised, as I always thought the policy was to try and contact the site owner first to clear things up and also give him the option (if he is indeed running a pirated version), to purchase a licence.
                  Indeed. This was the case a few years ago, but perhaps something has made the policy change to a far more aggressive stance.
                  Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Kiwi76
                    • May 2006
                    • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Odysseus
                    So, your hosting company DELETED your data from their servers, just because of the possibility you might use unlicensed software?
                    Despite using possibly unlicensed software, destroying your data was simply illegal - you should really do something about that.
                    I think this is the real issue. Even if you're displeased with what the enforcement did by not contacting you first, they're only responsible for the removal the vBulletin files from the server and nothing more. If your host also decided to destroy the database, this is an issue to be taken up with them, not Jelsoft. If you're licensed and this happened to you, I hope and am sure it'll get worked out between you and Jelsoft, but they really aren't the ones to blame for your loss of data. Your webhost it.

Comment

• Sysop9001
                      • Jul 2005
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Kiwi76
                      I think this is the real issue. Even if you're displeased with what the enforcement did by not contacting you first, they're only responsible for the removal the vBulletin files from the server and nothing more. If your host also decided to destroy the database, this is an issue to be taken up with them, not Jelsoft. If you're licensed and this happened to you, I hope and am sure it'll get worked out between you and Jelsoft, but they really aren't the ones to blame for your loss of data. Your webhost it.
                      What you say it is true and I share it to 100%, but how do they the webhost to know that he is use a pirate copy pirate of the software if nobody informed them? Or they go to look at the code of every individual file? I think that this story can explain it the interested alone Jelsoft and User and WebHost. I hope it end in the better one manners and to see how it goes that story end.

Peace and Love

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        Former Customer Support Manager
                        • Jul 2000

Honesly we don't know what the exact facts are because the thread starter never contacted us as I requested.

The offer still stands but I see no need to leave this thread open since even the thread starter is not interested in helping us investigate this further.
                        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...