Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NYU02
    • Aug 2004

MyBB Vs. vbulletin

Before I buy vbulletin I just was curious what the main advantages/disadvantages were between the two?

Thanks,
    NYU02
  • Ace
    • Apr 2004
    • 4.2.X

vBulletin/Jelsoft - Original. Professional Support. Strong company.

myBB - Didn't they just copy Jelsoft's code?
    My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
    vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• whitetigergrowl
      • Jun 2004
      • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Ace

No. Not that I'm aware of. Or bad things would have happened to them by now. They can have the same or similar features as long as the coding is not an exact copy and paste of pieces of code. Although for some things that is unavoidable and is shared between companies/forums.

Comment

• Comtech
        Banned
        • Nov 2004
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by NYU02
        Before I buy vbulletin I just was curious what the main advantages/disadvantages were between the two?

Thanks,
        NYU02
        They are both powerful pieces of software. MyBB is practically a free version of vBulletin. A new version with extra features will be coming out, perhaps before the end of this year.

Almost everything vBulletin has, MyBB has.

vBulletin is the professional software - MyBB is "vBulletin light" - yet much better than any other free community software available to date.

Originally posted by Ace

That was the case years ago. Since then, MyBB has come into its own creation and while resembling vBulletin in many ways - I can assure you that the code is at least 90%-95% original. I believe they used vBulletin code in their first few editions and were threatened with a lawsuit.

Comment

• Asvin
          • Jul 2007

I have used MyBB.. It doesn't look professional or has good features like vbulletin. Also, vbulletin is a professionalized paid software company. Anybody can understand how lazy the free software companies are.. Not all of them, but that is the general attitude I guess..

Comment

• Cyber Smoke
            • Aug 2004
            • 4.2.X

Heh, it's not about laziness, rather the way they generate their income =)
            The specifics of custom design

Comment

• Quillz
              • Nov 2004
              • 5.0.X

They are both good systems, try them both out and go with the one you like better.
              Forums

Comment

• Sysop9001
                • Jul 2005
                • 3.8.x

An alone choice: vBulletin

If u need a Professional Board and Support your choice only one: vBulletin

1) Best security code
                2) Best support, fast and very professional, response in some minutes by Ticket system and community
                3) The frontend and backend structure very clear and ordered, all to advantage of the user, the opposite one of IPB for example (to my personal opinion)
                4) Release some very swift updatings for the bug fix
                5) Best integration modification system without touch any code, just install/uninstall.
                6) Other it you vBulletin software and Team are simple the best!

Comment

• ---MAD---
                  • Jun 2005
                  • 3.8.x

I just checked out their site and I am impressed with their home page. Much better than vbulletin.com's but then again most forum software have a better home page that vbulletin.

I however dislike the default mybb skin, that makes me want to close the window.

Why choose vBulletin you ask?
                  1. Fast, professional support.
                  2. Great community of members that will love to help with any problems you with your forum have here at vbulletin.com/forum/
                  3. Stable and secure board.
                  4. Easily customisable.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...