X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • msimplay
    • Feb 2003
    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Apokalupsis
    Photopost has that too. As far as themes, it uses vb's header and footer, the rest is easily edited in the options. The point is, what you are speaking of is "ease". The same 100% integrated look can be achieved by simple edits with vb/photopost. For those who don't want to take the few minutes to do so, they can select premade themes that still use the forums original header/footer.
    lol u completely missed the point, I'm talking about intergration beyond just theming. The Ipgallery is much further intergrated into the Ip board than Photopost ever will be or can be since its not designed to just intergrate with vBulletin

It's not completely different. It's very similar to vb's. I have it installed on my board. And for those wanting minor tweaks and edits, that can be done as well.

IMO, that there are very, very minor default differences in the postbit between the gallery and forum, is not a significant reason to choose one over the other (all things being equal).
    Nope there are major differences in the postbit Photopost doesn't have multi moderation and doesn't have the dhtml drop downs the vbulletin postbit does and further more when adding modifications the modifications done to the Vbulletin postbit will not show up in the Photopost gallery.
    Since Photopost is a seperate gallery not a Product for vbulletin.
    Also its not a significant reason for you to choose one over the other but it was for me because Ip Gallery showed a greater level of intergration that Photopost doesn't come close to

Which I have yet to see. I see people making that claim, but thus far, I've not seen any specific examples. I guess that's what we are needing to understand the pro-IPB side.

I use Photopost. I've seen the IPB gallery on IPB boards. The big hoopla that IPB supporters are trying to make it out to be, simply doesn't exist.
    It seems you haven't used Ip gallery as an admin because the difference is there.
    For example the way that it integrates into Ip Board in the Admin Cp and multi moderation.

This probably won't be done on Photopost Gallery since the aim of Photopost isn't to integrate with vBulletin to the greatest degree since it also supports other message boards.
    That task is left to Photopost Vbgallery but then again while Vbgallery has the integration it is missing the features of Photopost.
    As for whether or not its a good enough reason to use one message board system over the other that depends on how important the gallery is to your community and what you want out of the product you are using for your community.

My personal opinion on this is that Ip gallery integrates far better with Ip Board than either Photopost or Photopost vBGallery or even the latest gallery into the addon scene Photoplog does with vBulletin
    rugs|cheap rugs|modern rugs|shaggy rugs|traditional rugs

Comment

• msimplay
      • Feb 2003
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by chaselafon
      After reading Kitebu's post, my opinion has greatly changed.

After reading, I looked at IPB's modification community, Invisionize. It's horrible compared to vBulletin.org. No comments, no pictures, and the modifications are in categories. When I want a modification, I don't know what category it's going to be in. I just like looking at popular modifications and picking one that suits my interest.

Long live vBulletin!
      I have to agree here I don't like Invisions Modding scene it seems like it is disorganised compared to Vbulletin.orgs where i can find mods easy and keep track of what modifications I have installed and downloaded plus near most every single modification has at least a preview of what the modification looks like.

This seems absent from both of the IPB mod sites IPS Beyond and Invisionise. The option for a demo or picture is usually there but seldom used by their hackers except for some of the more professional hackers.

Most times I've installed a mod on Invision Power Board I have had to install it on my test board to even see what it's like
      rugs|cheap rugs|modern rugs|shaggy rugs|traditional rugs

Comment

• andiez
        • Jan 2005

Six of one and half a dozen of the other, I'd say. All depends on what is preferred although 3.7 will kill off other bb systems in community sites if they don't respond by upgrading their own systems in competition. Pricing is similar for the vBulletin owned license but vBulletin has a cheaper annual license which gives new vBulletin users a chance to try it for a year before they upgrade to an owned license. Personally, I stay with vBulletin because of its active development and fast response to security issues.

Comment

• gfc
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by andiez
          Six of one and half a dozen of the other, I'd say. All depends on what is preferred although 3.7 will kill off other bb systems in community sites if they don't respond by upgrading their own systems in competition.
          Sorry, that's childish fanboy-talk.

None of the new features added in 3.7 is a "killer". Most of the users won't use them and additionally most of them - like tagging, personal gallery etc. - have been available for a long time as mods..
          parkrocker.net - The Rock im Park Festival Community

Comment

• l SKN l CHRIS
            • Mar 2007
            • 3.6.x

i just want vbulletin to look nice, which seems impossible at the moment

i could care less about new features that ill never use like social networking and blogs

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by l SKN l CHRIS
              i just want vbulletin to look nice, which seems impossible at the moment

i could care less about new features that ill never use like social networking and blogs
              vBulletin already "looks nice".

Comment

• querk
                • Nov 2007

Personally I agree that vBulletin desperately needs to up the looks and admin panel. Even the free forum software (wont name it but sure you know what one) has taken a leap forward and upped both the looks and the admin panel.

Comment

• Comtech
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2004
                  • 3.6.x

Originally posted by querk
                  Personally I agree that vBulletin desperately needs to up the looks and admin panel. Even the free forum software (wont name it but sure you know what one) has taken a leap forward and upped both the looks and the admin panel.

This should come with vBulletin 4.0.0

Comment

• WJPM
                    • Dec 2007
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Discussions
                    This should come with vBulletin 4.0.0
                    By the end of 2008 they will have it. I'm 99.9% sure.

Comment

• WJPM
                      • Dec 2007
                      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by msimplay
                      I have to agree here I don't like Invisions Modding scene it seems like it is disorganised compared to Vbulletin.orgs where i can find mods easy and keep track of what modifications I have installed and downloaded plus near most every single modification has at least a preview of what the modification looks like.

This seems absent from both of the IPB mod sites IPS Beyond and Invisionise. The option for a demo or picture is usually there but seldom used by their hackers except for some of the more professional hackers.

Most times I've installed a mod on Invision Power Board I have had to install it on my test board to even see what it's like
                      Also agree.

Comment

• Chazel
                        • Nov 2007

vBulletin doesn't look nice compared to IPB. I love the ACP, but the default style is heavily lacking.

Comment

• Comtech
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2004
                          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by chaselafon
                          vBulletin doesn't look nice compared to IPB. I love the ACP, but the default style is heavily lacking.

IPB's default style is horrible, but their administrator control panel is very nice, as is the profile system.

vBulletin does have a better default style than the next major competitor..but the style needs to be changed & updated for web 2.0. vBulletin's admincp lacks in the looks department. The new profile system will need some tweaking by the great group of coders at vBulletin.org, but with time it will exceed what IPB has done with their profile system.

Comment

• Chazel
                            • Nov 2007

I'd have to disagree.

I absolutely love IPB's default black style. The blue one is ugly, but the black one is much better than vBulletins. IPB's ACP is complicated for me to use. I don't like weaving in and out of categories trying to find what I'm looking for. In vBulletin, I can scroll down and see what I want, then get instant access to it.

Comment

• x-kgb
                              • May 2006
                              • 3.0.10+

Originally posted by WJPM
                              By the end of 2008 they will have it. I'm 99.9% sure.
                              Where do you all get the info about 4.0? Speculating?

Comment

• Chazel
                                • Nov 2007

The most I've heard about 4.0 is that it's including a new default style and new administrator control panel. I doubt it will take more than a year to do all of this, so before 2009 would be a good estimate.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...