Clear All
  • MRGTB
    • May 2005

Here we go, the tables v's web2 again

Comment

• MRGTB
      • May 2005

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      It's also controlled by usergroup permissions.
      I see a huge problem with that though, if Tags are controlled by "usergroup permissions", that means if you allow the "members group" to use tags. You still have the same problem where any member can add tags to any thread they didn't start. Because usergroup permissions are not based on single users - and will not single out the "thread starter" as being the only person who can add tags to his thread. All members will still be able too!

And I don't see how usergroup permissions helps really with tags, let say you setup the permissions so only certain staff usergroups can post tags. That means you would have to go into every thread a member creates and add tags for them (thats a lot of work for a large board that nobody wants too do). Not even the thread starter could post them himself to save you the trouble of doing it for him, becuase you just excluded him when you excluded the "members group", and setup the permissions to only allow certain staff usergroups to post them.
      Last edited by MRGTB; Thu 29 Nov '07, 8:59am.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

Originally posted by MRGTB
        You still have the same problem where any member can add tags to any thread they didn't start.
        Actually no. These are the Usergroup options for tags:

Can Tag Own Threads - Yes/No
        Can Tag Others' Threads - Yes/No
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• MRGTB
          • May 2005

Oh well that different then. That would be like having extended permissions in a members group settings, like if you setup if a member can use animated or static avatars.

I see what you mean now

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

Originally posted by NoDRaC
            is it true? I dont believe my eyes. if it is true. Please use css div and web 2.0 graphics i dont want to see tables its disgusting.

And also vbulletin company have to make new diffrent things. new featueres on 3.7 have been done before.with zoints tag system. is profile system etc...

I think there can be an option to connect vbulletin board each other...
            I can ensure you it is not the Zoints Tag System that's in 3.7.

Comment

• Nov 2007

My Opinion

I've used IPB since I started using bulletin boards, I have to say I do prefer it over vB, however, I cannot say much for the IPB community. Though some of the staff are helpful and nice there are still allot of "know it alls" in the IP.Board community (not just the staff), they're rude.

As for the softwares themselves I am inclined to say IP.Board is the better of the two. But vB is slowly growing on me, I just don't like the basicness to it

Conclusion: Software = IPB | Community = vB

IPB: Is more graphical and that to me makes the interface easy to navigate around.
              vB: I like the AJAX 'Fast Reply', that's about it.

Comment

• l SKN l CHRIS
                • Mar 2007
                • 3.6.x

i like vbulletin far over ipb but i do agree that almost every ipb forum is more visually appealing than vbulletin and i want to see that change in 4.0!

Comment

• MRGTB
                  • May 2005

Yeah, the default skin is looking rather bland and old fashioned now

Comment

• whitetigergrowl
                    • Jun 2004
                    • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Floris
                    whitegrowl: this is a pre-sales thread about vb vs ipb, not about specific features.
                    And somehow the people talking about VB's skins and such relate to the topic at hand even though none of them are talking about or comparing VB and IPB? There are quite a few others you may wanna tell this to in this thread as well then.

Comment

• Quillz
                      • Nov 2004
                      • 5.0.X

Originally posted by GHOwner
                      That is not true. More uses in AJAX and their recent moves show innovation. I personally hate IPB Profile templates and template system in general...
                      And I personally hate the vB profile in general, does this make vB worse than IPB?
                      Forums

Comment

• Ba$im
                        • Mar 2007

social network it will take vbulletin on amazing homepage design

I belive vbulletin now can with small coder make homepage as myspace
                        without hurt any thing on your forum
                        so this will be have good design with web 2

and sure who want it just as forum he didn’t need change thing

other way IPB also good software for who just looking for forum

Comment

• Apokalupsis
                          • Feb 2002
                          • 3.6.x

I have both VB and IPB. I love features of both.

However, VB > IPB merely because of the fact that it has a much larger support community. There are more styles, more mods/hacks, more sites that can support modding for vb than there are for IPB. The IPB community doesn't even come close.

Given time, who knows. But as of right now...if someone is on the fence between the two, this IMO, is a very, very important variable to consider. Who cares about individual default features and styles (which are comparable to one another anyway) when the modding community behind one can provide you with a seemingly endless supply of features and looks for your community.

If someone doesn't plan on doing much to their forum, or want to customize it, perhaps it's a toss up. If someone enjoys flexibility, support, variety of looks, VB...hands down.

Comment

• gfc
                            • Nov 2007

I' currently in the same situation: Looking of replacement of my phpbb and seems that only vb or ipb is capable to fulfill most of my wishes.

Originally posted by Apokalupsis
                            I
                            Given time, who knows. But as of right now...if someone is on the fence between the two, this IMO, is a very, very important variable to consider. Who cares about individual default features and styles (which are comparable to one another anyway) when the modding community behind one can provide you with a seemingly endless supply of features and looks for your community.
                            phpbb has a huge community and thousends of mods as well. Same for most other popular php-Solutions at all. But IMO 95% of all Mods (doesn't matter for which php-solution) are of either poor quality or not maintained, security issues, does not have the same usability-feeling etc.

I give you an example: I really appreciate the usability of a vb (as well as ipb), but I do need a powerful gallery for my users. Now you'll say: "Take Photopost, Photoplog, vBi-gallery etc.". But to be honest: None of them is coming close to the usability of the forum system...

On the other hand ip.gallery fits perfect in the concept of ipb. I just wanted to made the point, that a huge modding community does not ensure that you'll find what you want. Sometimes it's just better to have everything from the same source..

In the end it's a useless to compare features that you don't need or don't want or that doesn't fit for you.

But actually I'm still struggling with my decision. I love the hooks system of vb, but as well ip.gallery. Pro's and Con's as other already mentioned...
                            parkrocker.net - The Rock im Park Festival Community

Comment

• gfc
                              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by RvG
                              Want more???

Figures had spoken out!

I got the answer here when I was deciding which one have to buy... IPB or vB.
                              So you're saying windows have to be the better system than linux or mac os, just because more people are using it? IMO the number of installation can be an indicator for quality, but is not a "fact" as you called it.
                              parkrocker.net - The Rock im Park Festival Community

Comment

• Apokalupsis
                                • Feb 2002
                                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by gfc
                                phpbb has a huge community and thousends of mods as well. Same for most other popular php-Solutions at all. But IMO 95% of all Mods (doesn't matter for which php-solution) are of either poor quality or not maintained, security issues, does not have the same usability-feeling etc.
                                Agreed. While phpbb has a decent community, the fact that it is free makes the quality less than desirable IMO. Also, I don't think I've ever seen a really, really good phpbb skin.

Even w/ all the mods, the security and features available IMO, just cannot compare to the better, professional boards such as IPB and VB.

I give you an example: I really appreciate the usability of a vb (as well as ipb), but I do need a powerful gallery for my users. Now you'll say: "Take Photopost, Photoplog, vBi-gallery etc.". But to be honest: None of them is coming close to the usability of the forum system...
                                How so? I use Photopost and it is quite feature rich. What do you mean "usability of the forum system"? What other features are desired besides the ones offered by the big names you mention there?

On the other hand ip.gallery fits perfect in the concept of ipb. I just wanted to made the point, that a huge modding community does not ensure that you'll find what you want. Sometimes it's just better to have everything from the same source..
                                In theory it may sound good, but in practical terms, I don't see it as an issue. The integration of these galleries into vb is superb.

In the end it's a useless to compare features that you don't need or don't want or that doesn't fit for you.

But actually I'm still struggling with my decision. I love the hooks system of vb, but as well ip.gallery. Pro's and Con's as other already mentioned...
                                It sounds as if you place a lot of value on a photo gallery. What does ip.gallery do that Photopost cannot do? In Photopost there are plenty of features (random, feature, layouts, full permissions, front page blocks that work with both vb forum and vba, discussion threads for each image, gallery customization, ratings, photo editing, statistics, etc...).

Looking at the features here: http://www.invisionpower.com/communi.../features.html, there is nothing different than any other gallery available that I'm aware of.

What I don't like about IPB as a company, is that they "hide" their systems that they sell from the public. You have to take a chance on them. There is no demo available. No screenshots, so trials. Essentially, just text description and a "trust me" mentality. While it is true that they are quality products, I just find the policy asinine.

This is the message that has been on their demo site for almost 12 months now (at least):
                                Note: IP.Blog, IP.Gallery, and IP.Downloads are not currently enabled on our online demo. These demo additions will be coming soon.
                                At least 10-12 months, and the additions are still considered to be coming soon. It's simply untrue (or they define "coming soon" to be something completely different than the rest of the English Speaking community to be).

Compare that to vb which offers a demo. Compare that to Photopost which offers a demo as well as links to several communities that use their gallery. That gives potential buyers ideas as to what can be done with the system.

In short, IPB support and community are sub-par, their pricing is too high as a result. If IPB were to lower their pricing by perhaps 50% or so, IPB may be "worth" it. They are trying to play with the big boys, but using little boy tools. The support and community for VB are just on a completely different playing level. There are plenty of free styles and mods that are of high quality by professional coders who actually maintain what they offer. There are plenty of professional services, mods, and styles for VB as well.

NO OTHER forum system community comes close. So for those who are wanting a very, very specific mod or look, sure...perhaps they will be better off getting what they want by using phpbb, SMF, or IPB. But for the vast majority of community admins who prefer sheer flexibility, support, and a large community...VB stands out, completely unchallenged.
                                Last edited by Apokalupsis; Sat 1 Dec '07, 11:23am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...