• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ---MAD---
    • Jun 2005
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Discussions
    I am not an IPB fanboy.

I've owned vBulletin since 2004 and hated IPB.

IPB just recently has more to offer versus vBulletin. I'll switch back once vBulletin can get back up to par - my par.
    Just cause you owned one, doesnt mean you can't be an IPB fanboy. To me you seem to be an IPB fanboy because you don't seem to support anything vBulletin has to offer and make IPB seem the best out of the best which really is not the case.
    Originally posted by whitetigergrowl
    That statement is true. However I also find many that are buggy and unsupported (basically they quickly make it, throw it out there, and let the masses work out the bugs), or eat up quite a few queries.

So, just because there are more, doesn't mean they are better. (This applies to many things.) Some of them have real potential. Sadly they get supported horribly.
    I havent run into any trouble some plugins. Obviously if your crazy and install hundreds of plugins, you are asking for trouble .

I myself, think some IPB staff seriously need sorting out because they are very unprofessional with their competition. Its a bit like apple making microsoft look fat while apple is the fit teenager able to do everything in seconds.

Comment

• AleinBEEN
      • Aug 2007

Does the homepage for your forums come with the vBulletin, or do you have to instal it?

Comment

• ---MAD---
        • Jun 2005
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by AleinBEEN
        Does the homepage for your forums come with the vBulletin, or do you have to instal it?
        Are you talking about vbulletin.com's home page? No, thats not included at all.

Comment

• martynjd
          • Mar 2004

Don't get what you mean.. your homepage an be the forums e.g www.resellerclubtalk.com

or you can have a portal, vbadvanced.com have a free one, and is used the most imo, check vbulletin.org aswell for more info about it, also im sure theres more addons for these..

Comment

• AleinBEEN
            • Aug 2007

Yes the portal is what I meant thanks.

Comment

• Ranger375
              • Aug 2006
              • 4.0.x

You also have a year of upgrades included in VB's price, as opposed to IP's 6 month upgrade plan.

Comment

• Quillz
                • Nov 2004
                • 5.0.X

This thread comes up a lot, and my answer has always been the same: they are both equal, and well worth the money. Simply try out both (you can demo both systems online) and go with the one you like better. Perhaps you'll like IPB's admin control panel better, or perhaps you'd prefer the way vBulletin handles styles and templates.
                Forums

Comment

• Comtech
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2004
                  • 3.6.x

Originally posted by ---MAD---
                  Just cause you owned one, doesnt mean you can't be an IPB fanboy. To me you seem to be an IPB fanboy because you don't seem to support anything vBulletin has to offer and make IPB seem the best out of the best which really is not the case.
                  I am not a "fan boy" of any product. I am a grown man who believes the product should speak for itself, as should development of the product. Is it wrong to state truths on another companies' board?

I've actually had good words for both products.

You can't go wrong with either.

Comment

• Comtech
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2004
                    • 3.6.x

Yes the portal is what I meant thanks.
                    vBAdvanced

That is the portal you may be looking for. Though there are different types of CMS's that integrate with vBulletin and look much better, offering more powerful features when compared to vBAdvanced.

There is Drupal, Joomla, Storyteller, among others that offer some sort of integration with vB.

Comment

• Quillz
                      • Nov 2004
                      • 5.0.X

Originally posted by Ranger375
                      You also have a year of upgrades included in VB's price, as opposed to IP's 6 month upgrade plan.
                      But the new pricing scheme of IPS makes semi-annual upgrades ($25) cheaper in the long run for all license holders of the old pricing scheme.
                      Forums

Comment

• Martin
                        • Apr 2000
                        • 3.5.x

Stable Price
                        Both have this. Invision did raise their prices, mainly because they are the #1 community software of professional Businesses. Including nVidia, Nasa - among others. I've yet to see a large percentage of multi-million / Billion dollar companies using vBulletin.

Why is that?

On the other hand, vBulletin has remained the same price since day one.

Professional attitude
                        Both have this

A very good collection of plugins/addons (vbulletin.org)
                        vBulletin does have the largest collection of great plugins and other modifications.
                        I'm paying several coders to recreate some of the plugins / modifications I used while on vBulletin.

I hope that we are helping you make a choice. I am Pro both software companies, as you really can't go wrong with either. I simply grew tired of the same ole, same ole.
                        This thread is not for debates.
                        It was for answering questions and he made his mind up to purchase a license.
                        If this thread is not for debates, then perhaps it would be best to not make statements that are debatable.

Let's look at a few of your points:

Stable Price

vBulletin:
                        $160 since day 1 (with lifetime ticket support)
                        IPB:
                        Free > $199 > $150/$300 (with 6 months ticket support)

At a glance, which pricing history appears more stable to you?

Big Companies:

Already addressed.

If you really want to have this debate:
                        Which software appears to be more popular amongst large board owners?

I also find it a tad amusing that you say IPB are the innovators, and in the same post go on to point out that they will have a feature soon that vBulletin has had for the last 2 major versions. Quite innovative of them...

Both boards have their good and bad points, and each board appeals to different people for different reasons. It's not as much a question of "which is better?" as much as it is "which is better for you?"
                        Webmaster:
                        @forumz

Comment

• AleinBEEN
                          • Aug 2007

To add a background image on a skin what type of image does it have to be, .jpg, .gif, .png, or something else?

Comment

• Andy Huang
                            • Feb 2004

Any image type will work for as long as the visitor can use it. So, in simpler words, jpg, gif, and png will all work. Even bmp would if you feel like you have a large excessive amount of bandwidth and no one minds the wait
                            Best Regards,
                            Andy Huang

Comment

• Zachery
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • Jul 2002

Martin you mised several pricing and licenses structure changes with invision.
                              Last edited by Zachery; Thu 16 Aug '07, 4:22pm.

Comment

• Sysop9001
                                • Jul 2005
                                • 3.8.x

I've read to some above post's that the IPB have introduced some new innovation, please, explain what are, just a curious.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...