• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Comtech
    Banned
    • Nov 2004
    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by LuckyMe
    I never bothered to look into it, but I heard it was due to the massive amount of javascript that IPB uses. I read somewhere once that idolforums.com had huge issues with this after an "upgrade" a while back. I don't remember where I read about it honestly. It was probably on the customer forums and got deleted like everything else, but they were pretty upset about it at the time.
    That sounds about right. I noticed the slow down when I switched to IPB and imported all the database information. Then when I upgraded from 2.3.1 to 2.3.2 - I really noticed a huge difference, even with the default skin and this is on a $100 per month dedicated virtual server (minus a discount to bring my total per month to $85).

I'll just return to purchase vBulletin on my next payday and spend some money to have a custom skin and some custom modifications. This will be a wise investment.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
      • Jun 2002

I don't know if DirectPixel is doing any work, but a shameless plug for him if you want a custom skin
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• c4gamerz
        • Oct 2007
        • 3.6.x

I am enjoying this debate very much well i have many php experts friends they recommend me to use vb instead of ipb i didnt listen to them and i choosed ipb 2.3.1 coz of its available skins and u know guyz it got hacked after few months :O i was really shocked as i didnt had a backup. So now i have launched my forum again based on vb!!

So security wise as programmers recommends vb and phpbb are the most securest forum system available on the net but one thing lacks among them is its styles/skins i think ipb has the best styles/skins available on the net while vb and phpbb sucks in this catogery!! they shud work on it!!

Overall feature wise vb is the best and its plugins/hook system save ur precious time so i will recommend vb on anyother forum system coz of its security and features which are far better than any other forum system!!

You know guyz when i launched my forum again based on vb those hackers attacked my forum again but this time they failed miserably lolz they were doing some sql injection attacks and i was getting every database error messages through mail.

I am really satisfied with vb right now

Comment

• class101
          • Sep 2007
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Discussions
          What I posted was not knowingly incorrect and I stand behind what I said.

Nasa uses Invision.

nVidia uses Invision.

Yahoo uses Invision.

I can't think of any Multi-Million / Billion dollar companies that use vBulletin.

Again, this is not a debate area for Vb-fanboys to spin things around. This is to answer questions. I gave my 100% honest and personal opinion. With facts.

If you or anyone has an issue with what I said, then post a huge company that uses vBulletin - one that can match up with either of the above three.

I bet vBulletin a far much users than IPB, these great boards are the biggest they have and exceptions, you don't know about vbulletin, while I love gaming forums, I see them 1st on this topic, never seen an IPB gaming forum for example mounted by developpers.
          security community

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

Originally posted by c4gamerz
            I am enjoying this debate very much well i have many php experts friends they recommend me to use vb instead of ipb i didnt listen to them and i choosed ipb 2.3.1 coz of its available skins and u know guyz it got hacked after few months :O i was really shocked as i didnt had a backup. So now i have launched my forum again based on vb!!

So security wise as programmers recommends vb and phpbb are the most securest forum system available on the net but one thing lacks among them is its styles/skins i think ipb has the best styles/skins available on the net while vb and phpbb sucks in this catogery!! they shud work on it!!

Overall feature wise vb is the best and its plugins/hook system save ur precious time so i will recommend vb on anyother forum system coz of its security and features which are far better than any other forum system!!

You know guyz when i launched my forum again based on vb those hackers attacked my forum again but this time they failed miserably lolz they were doing some sql injection attacks and i was getting every database error messages through mail.

I am really satisfied with vb right now
            You mention you run vBulletin, but you're currently showing up as unlicensed. I see you're new to this site so I request kindly to go to the members' area and set yourself up for priority support. This way our staff can see you're a licensed customer. Thank you.

Comment

• Floris
              • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Discussions
              That sounds about right. I noticed the slow down when I switched to IPB and imported all the database information. Then when I upgraded from 2.3.1 to 2.3.2 - I really noticed a huge difference, even with the default skin and this is on a $100 per month dedicated virtual server (minus a discount to bring my total per month to $85).

I'll just return to purchase vBulletin on my next payday and spend some money to have a custom skin and some custom modifications. This will be a wise investment.
              We're looking forward having you as a question, if you have any pre-sales questions feel free to post them in the appropriate forum.

Comment

• msimplay
                • Feb 2003
                • 3.6.x

I actually currently use IPB for my forums but there has never been any doubt that Vbulletin is the better forum software.

I mean I thought I would give IPB a try and see how it all works by actually spending time in a live environment and seeing where IPB comes short.

What I actually found was besides forum features IPB generally tends to have more major annoying bugs with each release I mean if one bug gets fixed another 10 or so popup. I'm not saying Vbulletin doesn't have bugs but they have all been so minor that in all the years I was using vbulletin I never actually experienced a major bug.

Currently while using Invision 2.3.2 I've had to deal with 3 really annoying bugs and some major cutbacks in the way I used to administrate the forums.
                • 1st annoying bug was that I couldn't quote messages in the Invision Gallery ok thats not really related to the board but to me the coherency and official addons was one of the reasons why i moved over in the first place.
                • 2nd bug was and is the fact that new post markers got seriously messed up in the 2.3.2 release.
                • 3rd and last bug still not really fixed is when I'm using their post editor urls seem to get messed up when editing because they appear as html and then html doesn't get parsed.

The major cutbacks I suffered was firstly that due to their philosophies on editing members I wasn't able to edit their avatars or profile pictures.
                They said that they don't believe that its right to do so but the thing is if the administrator isn't allowed to edit such things then why allow the admin to edit signatures or anything else to do with member accounts.
                I remember that I used to regularly upload member avatars for them simply because they didn't know how themselves.
                I guess it was minor but its still annoying when I know I could do this in Vbulletin.

The other annoying factor is their post editor when you put smilies next to any txt for example like as opposed to using a direct space the smilie will be unparsed and also you can't use special characters like otherwise the editor will end up with problems.
                I guess this would also be minor if I had started off using IPB as my forum at first however the problem now is that I converted over from Vbulletin where a lot of my members used to just put the smilies next to txt like normal.

Another annoying factor for me is the fact that you just can't reorder smilies in the admincp or add new post icons.

Also I find editing members a little easier on vbulletin as you can just click on their profile and there is a direct link in their profile to their admincp editing page

Skin editing is a lot easier on vbulletin in my experience

There are other little things that just make vbulletin better but those are some of the things that annoyed me as I was administrating IPB at first.

So with all that I personally feel that vbulletin is just a more solid product however the reason I use IPB currently is because they have official addons and seems to be more user centric where vbulletin is more of an administrator tool.
                My members are currently really liking the social networking type features of IPB and the features that made me move over to IPB vbulletin still doesn't have.
                rugs|cheap rugs|modern rugs|shaggy rugs|traditional rugs

Comment

• l SKN l CHRIS
                  • Mar 2007
                  • 3.6.x

i like vBulletin lots but i think it needs a facelift, and i would also love a converge system

Comment

• Comtech
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2004
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Floris
                    We're looking forward having you as a question, if you have any pre-sales questions feel free to post them in the appropriate forum.
                    So, floris is looking forward to having me as a question.....

Maybe I should start to be scared

And no, no questions. I've been a vBulletin customer since November of 2004 until a few months back. So, I really wouldn't have any questions beyond what everyone else is wondering and that deals with when the improvements will be implemented and how far out until we see them. But I know Jelsoft doesn't supply a roadmap the way AMD or Intel does.

Comment

• Floris
                      • Dec 2001

I am sure we will continue to please people with the upcoming versions. 3.7 is obviously in development, and will push vBulletin forward as a marketleader in bbs.

Comment

• l SKN l CHRIS
                        • Mar 2007
                        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Floris
                        I am sure we will continue to please people with the upcoming versions. 3.7 is obviously in development, and will push vBulletin forward as a marketleader in bbs.
                        glad to hear it and, I'm really hoping that Jelsoft has a major release before 2008

Comment

• Floris
                          • Dec 2001

I wish I was allowed by my boss to give you more details. (stupid NDA! )

Comment

• l SKN l CHRIS
                            • Mar 2007
                            • 3.6.x

If I make sexy time with your boss will you be able to share more secret info?

Comment

• Floris
                              • Dec 2001

Originally posted by l SKN l CHRIS
                              If I make sexy time with your boss will you be able to share more secret info?
                              I expect it to have the opposite effect.

Comment

• l SKN l CHRIS
                                • Mar 2007
                                • 3.6.x

ahh, well at least you could say i tried lmao

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...