X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mazinger
    • Jul 2005
    • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Discussions
    If you or anyone has an issue with what I said, then post a huge company that uses vBulletin - one that can match up with either of the above three.
    Nokia and SONY.
    $post[signature]

Comment

• Dilly
      • Mar 2005

Again, this is not a debate area for Vb-fanboys to spin things around.
      Nice try buddy.

What you're trying to say is you want to be able to say whatever you like promoting IPB, but that anyone who promotes vBulletin is a fanboy.

I'm as much a vBulletin fanboy as you are an IPB fanboy.

Comment

• Comtech
        Banned
        • Nov 2004
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Zachery
        There are some, though we don't like to spoil our customers privacy

I will take your word for it Zach!

I just have never seen one, nor heard of one.

Comment

• Comtech
          Banned
          • Nov 2004
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Dilly
          Nice try buddy.

What you're trying to say is you want to be able to say whatever you like promoting IPB, but that anyone who promotes vBulletin is a fanboy.

I'm as much a vBulletin fanboy as you are an IPB fanboy.
          I am not an IPB fanboy.

I've owned vBulletin since 2004 and hated IPB.

IPB just recently has more to offer versus vBulletin. I'll switch back once vBulletin can get back up to par - my par.

Comment

• Queen
            • Feb 2005

Vbulletin is great, but yes I must say IPB keeps coming with new features, whereas vbulletin does not.

Vbulletin earns thousands of US pr months, I think they should add more features to vb like IPB does every now and then.

Comment

• whitetigergrowl
              • Jun 2004
              • 5.1.x

A very good collection of plugins/addons (vbulletin.org)
              vBulletin does have the largest collection of great plugins and other modifications.
              I'm paying several coders to recreate some of the plugins / modifications I used while on vBulletin.

I hope that we are helping you make a choice. I am Pro both software companies, as you really can't go wrong with either. I simply grew tired of the same ole, same ole.
              That statement is true. However I also find many that are buggy and unsupported (basically they quickly make it, throw it out there, and let the masses work out the bugs), or eat up quite a few queries.

So, just because there are more, doesn't mean they are better. (This applies to many things.) Some of them have real potential. Sadly they get supported horribly.

Comment

• AleinBEEN
                • Aug 2007

Is it possible to transfer all the posts from my IPB to a new vBulletin? I already was told yes I'd just like to make sure!

Comment

• Mazinger
                  • Jul 2005
                  • 3.7.x

Originally posted by AleinBEEN
                  Is it possible to transfer all the posts from my IPB to a new vBulletin? I already was told yes I'd just like to make sure!
                  Yes. There's a converting script 'ImpEx' that would convert all the data to vB.

Licensed customers can download ImpEx for free, to learn more about it from here: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/impex
                  $post[signature]

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    Former Customer Support Manager
                    • Jul 2000

What I posted was not knowingly incorrect and I stand behind what I said.

Nasa uses Invision.

nVidia uses Invision.

Yahoo uses Invision.

I can't think of any Multi-Million / Billion dollar companies that use vBulletin.
                    There are quite a few, but if a company purchases the branding free option or decides not to list on our links page, then we do not feel it is within our rights to use them in this way. You can, of course, choose not to believe me if you want.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Dilly
                      • Mar 2005

Bump

Comment

• Chousho
                        • Jan 2004
                        • 3.8.x

Stable Price
                        Both have this. Invision did raise their prices, mainly because they are the #1 community software of professional Businesses. Including nVidia, Nasa - among others. I've yet to see a large percentage of multi-million / Billion dollar companies using vBulletin.

Why is that?

On the other hand, vBulletin has remained the same price since day one.

Professional attitude
                        Both have this

A very good collection of plugins/addons (vbulletin.org)
                        vBulletin does have the largest collection of great plugins and other modifications.
                        I'm paying several coders to recreate some of the plugins / modifications I used while on vBulletin.

I hope that we are helping you make a choice. I am Pro both software companies, as you really can't go wrong with either. I simply grew tired of the same ole, same ole.
                        Thanks for breaking my post down piece by piece to counter-point what ever came to your mind. Very clever ;D

It's interesting how me mentioning "stable price" as a benefit warrants you to mention "multi-million / Billion dollar companies" using IPB. I don't see the correlation, since your claim that IPB is the #1 community software is an opinion. There doesn't appear to be one clear leader, as both companies, as mentioned, compliment each other's weaknesses with their abilities.

Professional attitude was mentioned because I've witnessed several times where, frankly, those chosen to represent IPB have come across as being jerks. Do I have links so I could back up claims for any disbelief I'm sure there would be? I'm sure I could find them, but, quite frankly, I have better things to do -- such as cut my toe nails.
                        Besides, the point of this thread was "what are benefits of VBulletin compared with IPB", not "can sombody try to counterpoint every other post in a thread they didn't create".

VB is great. IPB is great. Try out the demo of each and see which you like the most. If need be, ask a friend who has a license for whichever if he can give you admin to his test board, so you can try it out how you would like.

Comment

• Eagle Eyes
                          • Oct 2006
                          • 3.8.x

IPB is the best, it has left the Vbulletin way par. It has the best board to create a largest community (social networking helped a lot), while with Vbulletin you still have to wait for updates. Frankly speaking. IPB is one year ahead of VBulletin.

Comment

• Comtech
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2004
                            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                            There are quite a few, but if a company purchases the branding free option or decides not to list on our links page, then we do not feel it is within our rights to use them in this way. You can, of course, choose not to believe me if you want.

Why would I not believe you steve?

We've always been on good terms. And looking back on a few things (after suggestions), I now see several companies using vBulletin that I would consider large companies. I have just personally never spotted one.

The weird thing is, I've seen Billion dollar companies using PhpBB

I am not against vBulletin nor am I for Invision.
                            I am for the software that brings something unique to the table and I expect version 4.0.0 of vBulletin will be bringing me back to the vBulletin stable. I hope I am not proven wrong.

Both softwares are of the same variety, only subtle differences determine which is better at what. No one can go wrong purchasing vBulletin, nor could they go wrong with purchasing Invision. Both are on Par with what community software should be - and that includes customer service.

vBulletin doesn't brag about who uses their software.
                            Invision does.

I guess it is a matter of one company wanting to feel bigger through association - even when their product should do that by its own merit.

Just puchase what feels right for you and your community. Once the day is over, you will not regret your decision.

Comment

• Onimua
                              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Eagle Eyes
                              IPB is the best, it has left the Vbulletin way par. It has the best board to create a largest community (social networking helped a lot), while with Vbulletin you still have to wait for updates. Frankly speaking. IPB is one year ahead of VBulletin.
                              What do you mean wait for updates? You have to wait for both sides for something new. Should I mention how long (and I mean an eternity) for things that IPS has been working on certain products that they announced and have yet to truly see the light of day?

Not to mention you seem to want a product right away without any sufficient testing to make sure it actually works; you just want it to have it be made and sent out (in other words, rushed).
                              Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

• zhaoke
                                • Nov 2004
                                • 3.6.x

I think VB have better performance than IP board. so i only select VB.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...