X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • msimplay
    • Feb 2003
    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Apokalupsis
    Agreed. While phpbb has a decent community, the fact that it is free makes the quality less than desirable IMO. Also, I don't think I've ever seen a really, really good phpbb skin.

Even w/ all the mods, the security and features available IMO, just cannot compare to the better, professional boards such as IPB and VB.

How so? I use Photopost and it is quite feature rich. What do you mean "usability of the forum system"? What other features are desired besides the ones offered by the big names you mention there?

In theory it may sound good, but in practical terms, I don't see it as an issue. The integration of these galleries into vb is superb.

It sounds as if you place a lot of value on a photo gallery. What does ip.gallery do that Photopost cannot do? In Photopost there are plenty of features (random, feature, layouts, full permissions, front page blocks that work with both vb forum and vba, discussion threads for each image, gallery customization, ratings, photo editing, statistics, etc...).

Looking at the features here: http://www.invisionpower.com/communi.../features.html, there is nothing different than any other gallery available that I'm aware of.

What I don't like about IPB as a company, is that they "hide" their systems that they sell from the public. You have to take a chance on them. There is no demo available. No screenshots, so trials. Essentially, just text description and a "trust me" mentality. While it is true that they are quality products, I just find the policy asinine.

This is the message that has been on their demo site for almost 12 months now (at least):
    Note: IP.Blog, IP.Gallery, and IP.Downloads are not currently enabled on our online demo. These demo additions will be coming soon.
    At least 10-12 months, and the additions are still considered to be coming soon. It's simply untrue (or they define "coming soon" to be something completely different than the rest of the English Speaking community to be).

Compare that to vb which offers a demo. Compare that to Photopost which offers a demo as well as links to several communities that use their gallery. That gives potential buyers ideas as to what can be done with the system.

In short, IPB support and community are sub-par, their pricing is too high as a result. If IPB were to lower their pricing by perhaps 50% or so, IPB may be "worth" it. They are trying to play with the big boys, but using little boy tools. The support and community for VB are just on a completely different playing level. There are plenty of free styles and mods that are of high quality by professional coders who actually maintain what they offer. There are plenty of professional services, mods, and styles for VB as well.

NO OTHER forum system community comes close. So for those who are wanting a very, very specific mod or look, sure...perhaps they will be better off getting what they want by using phpbb, SMF, or IPB. But for the vast majority of community admins who prefer sheer flexibility, support, and a large community...VB stands out, completely unchallenged.

Try out the galleries for yourself the difference is apparent.
    The Ip Gallery Platform is completely intergrated with Ip Board and I mean not just in terms of themes but also in terms of using the Ip Boards templating system and the same multi moderation and posting features that the forum has.
    Where as Photopost is not as well intergrated for example the postbit is completely different to vbulletins as it is not only designed for vbulletin since it suppports other forum boards too even Invision Power Board itself.
    There is Photopost Vbgallery which attempts to intergrate with Vbulletin in terms of being a plugin but still doesn't have the kind of intergration that Ip Gallery does.

I personally tested the galleries out myself
    rugs|cheap rugs|modern rugs|shaggy rugs|traditional rugs

Comment

• Apokalupsis
      • Feb 2002
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by msimplay
      Try out the galleries for yourself the difference is apparent.
      The Ip Gallery Platform is completely intergrated with Ip Board and I mean not just in terms of themes but also in terms of using the Ip Boards templating system and the same multi moderation and posting features that the forum has.
      Photopost has that too. As far as themes, it uses vb's header and footer, the rest is easily edited in the options. The point is, what you are speaking of is "ease". The same 100% integrated look can be achieved by simple edits with vb/photopost. For those who don't want to take the few minutes to do so, they can select premade themes that still use the forums original header/footer.

Where as Photopost is not as well intergrated for example the postbit is completely different to vbulletins as it is not only designed for vbulletin since it suppports other forum boards too even Invision Power Board itself.
      It's not completely different. It's very similar to vb's. I have it installed on my board. And for those wanting minor tweaks and edits, that can be done as well.

IMO, that there are very, very minor default differences in the postbit between the gallery and forum, is not a significant reason to choose one over the other (all things being equal).

There is Photopost Vbgallery which attempts to intergrate with Vbulletin in terms of being a plugin but still doesn't have the kind of intergration that Ip Gallery does.
      Which I have yet to see. I see people making that claim, but thus far, I've not seen any specific examples. I guess that's what we are needing to understand the pro-IPB side.

I personally tested the galleries out myself
      I use Photopost. I've seen the IPB gallery on IPB boards. The big hoopla that IPB supporters are trying to make it out to be, simply doesn't exist.
      Last edited by Apokalupsis; Sat 1 Dec '07, 2:36pm.

Comment

• x-kgb
        • May 2006
        • 3.0.10+

I prefer VB. Given a lot of people talking about 4.0. When? In 2009?

4.0 is not an argument. Where is the info about it?

Comment

• Comtech
          Banned
          • Nov 2004
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by x-kgb
          I prefer VB. Given a lot of people talking about 4.0. When? In 2009?

4.0 is not an argument. Where is the info about it?
          There really isn't much information about vBulletin 4.0.0 beyond a few hints here & there from the developers and other staff members.

Development of vBulletin 4.0.0 to my knowledge hasn't even begun. I am sure they have a huge list of things to change already, just from the hints they have passed around. Once the development of 3.7.0 has completed, that is when they will begin working 100% on vBulletin 4.0.0 - at least that is from what I've heard on these boards.

Comment

• Tanax
            • Feb 2006

To add to whoever who posted that wall of text on page 4~ .
            The use of AJAX is just much better in vBulletin.

When you click for example, the quick links, a list nicely rolls out.
            If you click the username i a post, a list rolls out.

When you click the username in a post on IPB, it just pops out.
            Fast and ugly.

I love the way vB does this. If I ever get my community running, I will 110% go with vB. And now after reading the 3.7 features, I can't even begin to think what features vB will get when 4.0 gets release. And this makes me even more interested in choosing vBulletin.

GO JELSOFT! Keep the good work up
            Luv ya <3

Comment

• l SKN l CHRIS
              • Mar 2007
              • 3.6.x

i like the vBulletin product more overall but ipb wins in visual looks

almost every vB board i go to SCREAMS vBulletin, also vBulletin is just ugly compared to ipb

even with custom skins

Comment

• Chazel
                • Nov 2007

I have to agree with Chris. If vBulletin's default style isn't what I find 'appealing', I'll seriously consider choosing IPB for my second forum.

Comment

• SbyD_Salient
                  • Nov 2007
                  • 3.6.x

Originally posted by apentz
                  As someone trying to decide between the two, it didn't escape m notice that vb actually uses its software on its website and ipb doesn't from what i can tell.
                  What you are seeing on the IPS site is the new nexus software currently in beta release, so they do actually use their own software.

Own licenses to both products and each has it's own benefits and disadvantages depending on what you want. We're (that's a royal we btw) currently trying to convert a custom skin over to vBulletin and besides the odd "blue word" it's not proving to be a major issue at all. Having to create a few classes but what the heck do that for Invision anyways

If I can get a site up running a portal (vbadvantage has one), an integrated shopping cart, and a download manager connected to the subscription system then will be moving our main site to vBulletin. Still waiting on access to .org to see what is available.

Invision seem to be moving more toward the business market and away from the SOHO and hobby markets, that doesn't bode well for the future imho.

As stated happy with both products, am still getting my mind around vBulletin, but it's pretty much horses for courses.

In terms of support raised a ticket and that darn Steve guy answered it before I could grab a cup of coffee. So no complaints with Jelsoft's help desk, was lightening fast.

So far the only criticism I would have of vBulletin and it's minor, is the editing of the config file is slightly old hat and may cause real newbies an issue. Invision allows you to set that stuff up via the installer.

Other than that am pretty happy, vBulletin is a very intuitive product, and easy enough to work with.

A couple of final points.

Don't like the vBulletin smilies, but what the hey time to fire up photochop and make a series, will of course share with the wider vBulletin community.

plugins are called components in Invision, works pretty much the same way but in saying that haven't had the time to start converting mine over to vBulletin yet so have no idea if either system is superior or not.

The equiv of vbulletin.org is invisionize.com, so both products have 100s of modifications available for those wanting that extra something.

End of day like both packages and they are currently the best on the market in terms of php offerings. The debate about which is better is pretty meaningless imho

Comment

• Anthony89
                    • Nov 2006
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by l SKN l CHRIS
                    i like the vBulletin product more overall but ipb wins in visual looks

almost every vB board i go to SCREAMS vBulletin, also vBulletin is just ugly compared to ipb

even with custom skins
                    Originally posted by chaselafon
                    I have to agree with Chris. If vBulletin's default style isn't what I find 'appealing', I'll seriously consider choosing IPB for my second forum.
                    Visual looks is just opinions. Part of what I like about vBuletin is its style. I use the default style on forums as a member if its available. And I hate IPBs style. Its just all about personal taste.

If its not what you like then get IPB.

Comment

• briansol
                      • Apr 2006
                      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by BamaStangGuy
                      Wow, I just want to say that on 1920x1200 resolution I still had to scroll down to get all of that lol.

That was a great post and does highlight a lot that vBulletin does better and some things it def. needs to improve on.
                      even on 2056x1600 i had to scroll.. lol

back on topic

I used to use IPB
                      i left when they starting having security issues and everyone was getting hacked (2.0.1 ish)

everything i've started since then has gone on vB as well.

Comment

• Chazel
                        • Nov 2007

After reading Kitebu's post, my opinion has greatly changed.

After reading, I looked at IPB's modification community, Invisionize. It's horrible compared to vBulletin.org. No comments, no pictures, and the modifications are in categories. When I want a modification, I don't know what category it's going to be in. I just like looking at popular modifications and picking one that suits my interest.

Long live vBulletin!

Comment

• SbyD_Salient
                          • Nov 2007
                          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by chaselafon
                          After reading Kitebu's post, my opinion has greatly changed.

After reading, I looked at IPB's modification community, Invisionize. It's horrible compared to vBulletin.org. No comments, no pictures, and the modifications are in categories. When I want a modification, I don't know what category it's going to be in. I just like looking at popular modifications and picking one that suits my interest.

Long live vBulletin!
                          Clearly you didn't spend a lot of time checking ize out. Go to the forum supporting your version of the product, and you pretty much have what you have stated you want

Should add ipsbeyond.com is the official modification site, but personally think that one has become pretty much an exercise in ego gratification. You'll need an IPS license to access that one.

briansol yeah got cracked a couple of times on 2.2 as well

Comment

• Chazel
                            • Nov 2007

Invisionize is exactly what I stated in my opinion. IPS Beyond is alright, but the file numbers don't come close to vB.org.

Comment

• Noraa
                              • Aug 2006
                              • 3.6.x

I love both.. IPB is easier to work with but VB just gives you way more options.
                              The rep system is the main reason why I prefer VB

Comment

• gfc
                                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Apokalupsis
                                Even w/ all the mods, the security and features available IMO, just cannot compare to the better, professional boards such as IPB and VB.
                                Really? I've got another opinion while browsing the modding section / modding sites. There are a lot of not abandonned and not maintained mods available for vb. As usual.

You're might right for commercial modifications / plugins (vbSEO, Photopost etc), but that's the absolute minority in numbers..

How so? I use Photopost and it is quite feature rich. What do you mean "usability of the forum system"? What other features are desired besides the ones offered by the big names you mention there?

In theory it may sound good, but in practical terms, I don't see it as an issue. The integration of these galleries into vb is superb.
                                Sure, it's feature rich. Sure, it shares the user-database. But that's not what I call "fully integrated". Not by far. Photopost is just another product than vb and you feel it while using, e.g. the workflows are different, it's not reacting the way you're used by browsing through the forums etc.

Photopost is not even technically fully integrated. As Admin of such a site I have to maintain two templates: one for photopost, one for vb. And call me lazy, but if I'm spending hundrets of dollars I'm expecting to have less work in maintining than to have more.

It sounds as if you place a lot of value on a photo gallery. What does ip.gallery do that Photopost cannot do?
                                As far as I see: nothing. It's the same thing about vb vs. ipb. vB has more features, but that's interesting for the "techies". At the end of the day you just want to have a package which fullfill you're requirements best. You're not interested in the "potentially features you might can use in far future..".

I give you another example: vB allows you to set the permissions for the signature on group basis, right? Nice feature, but I do not need that, really. So if you comparing the features, vB wins that point, but in reality it's not something that counts for the personal decision.

What I don't like about IPB as a company, is that they "hide" their systems that they sell from the public. You have to take a chance on them. There is no demo available. No screenshots, so trials. Essentially, just text description and a "trust me" mentality. While it is true that they are quality products, I just find the policy asinine.
                                Well, the official support forums ( http://forums.invisionpower.com/ ) use the IP.Blog and IP.Gallery. That's enough demo isn't it?

But you're right: I appreciate the openness of Jelsoft. For example I do not like the absence of a pre-sales forum on Invisions Supportforums or that I have to be a registered client for browsing IPBeyond.

But if you contact the sales hotline, they are quite fast, friendly and open to requests. For example I have requested the hotline 3 days ago if it would be possible to get a Database Structure Dump of IP.Gallery just to see if I'm capable to write a conversion script for my phpbb gallery. And guess what: I've got it!

There are plenty of free styles and mods that are of high quality by professional coders who actually maintain what they offer. There are plenty of professional services, mods, and styles for VB as well.
                                Oh, I haven't found much free styles which are worth trying. Do you have me some links as examples? I just wanna take a look at.
                                parkrocker.net - The Rock im Park Festival Community

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...