This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chazel
    • Nov 2007

That opinion was from a forum stand point. vBulletin has developed Project Tools and their blog and are releasing a feature filled new version before expected.

Comment

• MRGTB
      • May 2005

I'm not arguing with you, I just thought I would point that fact out. As I've been download the products as they were updated from there site, as I own all the licenses for them all. I just thought it was a tad unfair to say they have been slow.

I'm not comparing them to vBulletin. I'm not interested in the vB v's IPB thing. As I've said before, they both have there plus and minus points.

Comment

• whitetigergrowl
        • Jun 2004
        • 5.1.x

Personally things like the 'Bookmarks' for VB 3.7 should not be a part of the forum software by default but rather kept as an add-on OPTION. Not just a reason to add bloat. And allowing users to add tags to a thread...whats the point. You'll get so many stupid, useless and pointless tags it's not even funny. Thus defeating the purpose of them. Like some of the ones in this thread that say 'Vbulletin it's best' or 'Woltlab'. Etc. Even though its a VB vs. IPB thread. Useless at this point.

I would say from what I have seen with 3.7, just as many of the features should have been kept as plug-in only as those that will do well. So far, while it looks like a decent release, some of the options should have stayed as plug-ins as they don't enhance the user or forum experience overall. But rather, the admins.

The social networking side I'm still on the fence about as its still early and looks...blah at this point until the modders get ahold of it.

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

Bad tags are easily delt with.

Comment

• Chazel
            • Nov 2007

I'm personally not going to allow registered users to add tags to post that aren't their own.

Comment

• GHOwner
              • Jun 2007
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Discussions
              There are no true benefits from switching from IPB to vBulletin and that is my honest opinion. I've owned a vBulletin license since 2004 and recently sold my license and went to IPB. Invision equals Innovation and vBulletin has not innovated anything in a long time. That is the main reason I left.
              That is not true. More uses in AJAX and their recent moves show innovation. I personally hate IPB Profile templates and template system in general...

Comment

• GHOwner
                • Jun 2007
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by whitetigergrowl
                The social networking side I'm still on the fence about as its still early and looks...blah at this point until the modders get ahold of it.
                I agree the templating could use work to make it look more friendly/attractive. I've got plans for my upgrade and might release the template code on vB.org

Comment

• MRGTB
                  • May 2005

And allowing users to add tags to a thread...whats the point. You'll get so many stupid, useless and pointless tags it's not even funny. Thus defeating the purpose of them. Like some of the ones in this thread that say 'Vbulletin it's best' or 'Woltlab'. Etc. Even though its a VB vs. IPB thread. Useless at this point.
                  Thats why I said in another thread, the ADD TAG option really should be limited to the thread starter only in my opinion. As a thread starter is more likely to use the tag system correctly to add TAGS that match what his threads are about. And it will stop others from adding stupid tags later on in replies. If they only have permission to add tags to their own threads started.

It's not a perfect solultion, but I think that would be the better option to go with. At least then if you see stupid TAGS posted, you know the only person who could have added them to that thread was the thread starter. So you can deal with him. Otherwise you would not have a clue who addedthe bad tags when everybody replying to a thread can add them

Comment

• Sysop9001
                    • Jul 2005
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by MRGTB
                    Thats why I said in another thread, the ADD TAG option really should be limited to the thread starter only in my opinion. As a thread starter is more likely to use the tag system correctly to add TAGS that match what his threads are about. And it will stop others from adding stupid tags later on in replies. If they only have permission to add tags to their own threads started.

It's not a perfect solultion, but I think that would be the better option to go with. At least then if you see stupid TAGS posted, you know the only person who could have added them to that thread was the thread starter. So you can deal with him. Otherwise you would not have a clue who addedthe bad tags when everybody replying to a thread can add them
                    Totally agree, this is stupid and very bad for SEO.

Comment

• RvG
                      • Jan 2007
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by chaselafon
                      Are you still deciding? Let me sum it up for you:

- Larger Customer Base
                      - Better Support (as you can see with Steve Machols' 100,000+ post)
                      - More Widely Used
                      - Appease to their Customers (as you can see in 3.7, and we're getting a new ACP and default style in 4.0)
                      - Excellent Security
                      - Larger Modification Community
                      - More Software Compatible with vBulletin (vBadvanced, vBSEO, v3 Arcade, IPB Arcade, Ad Management, etc.)
                      - Instant Patches

IPB is the second best software available, but it still isn't up to par with vBulletin, and never will be, especially with their slow pace of developing their software. My guess is that 4.0 will be out before their 3.0.
                      Want more???

Figures had spoken out!

I got the answer here when I was deciding which one have to buy... IPB or vB.

Comment

• whitetigergrowl
                        • Jun 2004
                        • 5.1.x

I'm just curious why members/users would be allowed to add tags beyond the thread starter. How is it beneficial. I know I don't want to spend all of my days deleting useless tags because of members trying to be funny or don't know wth theya re doing. Especially as the forum grows and gets more active. This is really something that should have not gone farther than the thread starter or mod/admin/owner.

Comment

• Floris
                          • Dec 2001

I'm just curious why members/users would be allowed to add tags beyond the thread starter. How is it beneficial. I know I don't want to spend all of my days deleting useless tags because of members trying to be funny or don't know wth theya re doing. Especially as the forum grows and gets more active. This is really something that should have not gone farther than the thread starter or mod/admin/owner.
                          whitegrowl: this is a pre-sales thread about vb vs ipb, not about specific features.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Floris
                            whitegrowl: this is a pre-sales thread about vb vs ipb, not about specific features.
                            It's also controlled by usergroup permissions.
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• NoDRaC
                              • Jun 2005

we're getting a new ACP and default style in 4.0
                              is it true? I dont believe my eyes. if it is true. Please use css div and web 2.0 graphics i dont want to see tables its disgusting.

And also vbulletin company have to make new diffrent things. new featueres on 3.7 have been done before.with zoints tag system. is profile system etc...

I think there can be an option to connect vbulletin board each other...

Comment

• c0bra
                                • Apr 2001

Originally posted by NoDRaC
                                is it true? I dont believe my eyes. if it is true. Please use css div and web 2.0 graphics i dont want to see tables its disgusting.

And also vbulletin company have to make new diffrent things. new featueres on 3.7 have been done before.with zoints tag system. is profile system etc...

I think there can be an option to connect vbulletin board each other...
                                Web 2.0 graphics? Nothing wrong with tables either.... but I guess they are going to change to almost all CSS after all the whining on here.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...