X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AleinBEEN
    • Aug 2007

vBulletin vs. IPB

I have an IP.Board (Invision Power Board), currently and I was curious what would be the benifits to switching over to vBulliten.
    Last edited by AleinBEEN; Wed 15 Aug '07, 11:20am.
  • Comtech
    Banned
    • Nov 2004
    • 3.6.x

There are no true benefits from switching from IPB to vBulletin and that is my honest opinion. I've owned a vBulletin license since 2004 and recently sold my license and went to IPB. Invision equals Innovation and vBulletin has not innovated anything in a long time. That is the main reason I left.

I want to be with a software company that takes a step towards innovation and is willing to take chances. Not a company that is happy with playing it safe.

vBulletin is technically the same as it was when I first bought it - just with a few added features like the plugin / hook system - which IPB will soon be having as well.

If you have 2.3.1 of IPB then stick with it.

But either of the two are great professional, community software.
    Last edited by Comtech; Wed 15 Aug '07, 10:59am.

Comment

• AleinBEEN
      • Aug 2007

What are the plugin, and hook systems?

Comment

• Comtech
        Banned
        • Nov 2004
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by AleinBEEN
        What are the plugin, and hook systems?
        That is one of the actual great parts of vBulletin.
        It enables you to add modifications to your forum software, without having to actually touch any code. For the most part, unless a lot of template changes are made, then these Plugin products should be able to hook into the latest editions of vBulletin.

vBSEO is an example of a product using the Hook system. You simply upload the vBSEO files and then upload the plugin xml file - and you are up and running. The hook system does all the code changes for you.

Comment

• Chousho
          • Jan 2004
          • 3.8.x

From my experience, benefits of VB are mainly:
          Stable Price
          Professional attitude
          A very good collection of plugins/addons (vbulletin.org)

This is just from what I've noticed, anyway.

Comment

• Comtech
            Banned
            • Nov 2004
            • 3.6.x

Stable Price
            Both have this. Invision did raise their prices, mainly because they are the #1 community software of professional Businesses. Including nVidia, Nasa - among others. I've yet to see a large percentage of multi-million / Billion dollar companies using vBulletin.

Why is that?

On the other hand, vBulletin has remained the same price since day one.

Professional attitude
            Both have this

A very good collection of plugins/addons (vbulletin.org)
            vBulletin does have the largest collection of great plugins and other modifications.
            I'm paying several coders to recreate some of the plugins / modifications I used while on vBulletin.

I hope that we are helping you make a choice. I am Pro both software companies, as you really can't go wrong with either. I simply grew tired of the same ole, same ole.
            Last edited by Comtech; Wed 15 Aug '07, 11:55am.

Comment

• AleinBEEN
              • Aug 2007

I do like my IPB, but for the topic of my board, vBulletin seems better. I already know ways I can use it to better help the board to a bigger and better place for the members.

Comment

• Jobe1986
                • Jan 2007
                • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Discussions
                Stable Price
                Both have this. Invision did raise their prices, mainly because they are the #1 community software of professional Businesses. Including nVidia, Nasa - among others. I've yet to see a large percentage of multi-million / Billion dollar companies using vBulletin.
                Im yet to see any proof of your claim there. vBulletin is used on many companies sites just with branding free... and/or with heavy template modifications can be made to hide even the feel of vBulletin.
                http://data.collectiveirc.net/status/user/Jobe.png

Comment

• Comtech
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2004
                  • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Jobe1986
                  Im yet to see any proof of your claim there. vBulletin is used on many companies sites just with branding free... and/or with heavy template modifications can be made to hide even the feel of vBulletin.
                  This thread is not for debates.
                  It was for answering questions and he made his mind up to purchase a license.

Comment

• FreshFroot_
                    • Jul 2005
                    • 3.8.x

I think either board is great.. really! If you have a IPB then I'd keep it. If you have a vB then keep it. Both to me seem like great boards. The Pro's and Con's of both boards pretty much cancel each other off.

The "main" thing you need to look at is which board will progress futher. It seems IPB has done that earlier and now vB is starting to head the same way.

Comment

• Comtech
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2004
                      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by FreshFroot_
                      I think either board is great.. really! If you have a IPB then I'd keep it. If you have a vB then keep it. Both to me seem like great boards. The Pro's and Con's of both boards pretty much cancel each other off.

The "main" thing you need to look at is which board will progress futher. It seems IPB has done that earlier and now vB is starting to head the same way.

I agree...

It is a race between two winning companies and two winning products.
                      Either way, you end up choosing a product that is professional and can supply you with what you are looking for.

Comment

• Dilly
                        • Mar 2005

This thread is not for debates.
                        Maybe not, but posting incorrect information helps noone.

Comment

• Comtech
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2004
                          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Dilly
                          Maybe not, but posting incorrect information helps noone.
                          What I posted was not knowingly incorrect and I stand behind what I said.

Nasa uses Invision.

nVidia uses Invision.

Yahoo uses Invision.

I can't think of any Multi-Million / Billion dollar companies that use vBulletin.

Again, this is not a debate area for Vb-fanboys to spin things around. This is to answer questions. I gave my 100% honest and personal opinion. With facts.

If you or anyone has an issue with what I said, then post a huge company that uses vBulletin - one that can match up with either of the above three.
                          Last edited by Comtech; Wed 15 Aug '07, 4:08pm.

Comment

• martynjd
                            • Mar 2004

is that the almighty famous leo, i no this isnt a debate, but it should be..

I wonder why the big companys tend to stay away from vbulletin? - not like they can't afford it.. Its weird, is vbulletin sending out the wrong single, or is vbulletin only for personal, small buisness forums?

Comment

• Zachery
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Discussions
                              What I posted was not knowingly incorrect and I stand behind what I said.

Nasa uses Invision.

nVidia uses Invision.

Yahoo uses Invision.

I can't think of any Multi-Million / Billion dollar companies that use vBulletin.

Again, this is not a debate area for Vb-fanboys to spin things around. This is to answer questions. I gave my 100% honest and personal opinion. With facts.

If you or anyone has an issue with what I said, then post a huge company that uses vBulletin - one that can match up with either of the above three.
                              There are some, though we don't like to spoil our customers privacy

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...