Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NYU02
    • Aug 2004

Before I buy - Quick Video Question

I'm all set to purchase vBulletin and just had a quick question about some features that im not sure if they are included:

In my forum I want users to have the ability to upload video in their posts. Is that possible? If so, how easy is it? Can they make their own videos or do they have to pull them from YouTube?

I am a novice when it comes to computers so the most elementary explanation and details on how to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for your insight,
    NYU02
  • Colin F
    • May 2004

Hi

Users can upload videos through the attachment system, but they won't play inline like at youtube.com.
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• MRGTB
      • May 2005

There is a custom uTube BBCode here somewhere that you can add to play them in posts. I tried it and it works fine

Comment

• ---MAD---
        • Jun 2005
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by MRGTB
        There is a custom uTube BBCode here somewhere that you can add to play them in posts. I tried it and it works fine
        I have heard that causes security issues?

Comment

• MRGTB
          • May 2005

ah, I didn't know that

Comment

• NYU02
            • Aug 2004

thank you everyone for your speedy replies:

A couple of follow up questions:

1) What do you mean they won't play inline like in youtube. A use can upload or link a video from youtube and it will or won't play in the post?

Is it just a simple button in the software that says "upload video here" or is it a complicated procedure?

Thanks,
            NYU02

Comment

• MRGTB
              • May 2005

If you post a URL link to play it in a new browser from there site, yes.

But there was some BBCode that would let you play the video from within your own post on your own forum. And you didn't upload anything. It just played it in your posts taken from there site

Comment

• ---MAD---
                • Jun 2005
                • 3.8.x

Uploading a video directly onto vb is not a hard procedure no, its just like uploading any other attachment. You can try uploading an imagine the test forum here:

Comment

• NYU02
                  • Aug 2004

MAD & all-
                  Thanks, I don't have any video on this computer to test it out but I will try later. If i just attach a video like any other file where is says "attach file" it will play the video within the post? or it will just be a link? Does this solve the BBcode issue?

Thanks again,
                  NYU02

Comment

• ---MAD---
                    • Jun 2005
                    • 3.8.x

No, it doesnt solve the bbcode issue. I am not sure if you can upload videos on vbulletin.com forum but you can set that in admincp when you download your copy of vbulletin for your site .

Comment

• NYU02
                      • Aug 2004

MAD,
                      Thank you very much for all your insight!

I have one more off the topic question:

I was all set to have someone setup my vbulletin for me - customizing the layout and design. Unfortunately, the lines of communication with that person are no longer there. How hard is it to setup yourself? I am close to a complete novice when it comes to web publishing and building a website. If it is too difficult, can you recommend a company?

Thanks,
                      NYU02

Comment

• syrus.xl
                        • Jun 2005

There are numerous modifications available over at www.vbulletin.org - most will play video footage inline without you messing around with BBCode. There's a new one thats quite popular and just converts video links from sites like YouTube, Google Video, and many others. Simple to install, and usergroup specific.

Comment

• NYU02
                          • Aug 2004

Thanks Syrus,
                          Do you know the name of that new software.

Thanks again for everything,
                          NYU02

Comment

• syrus.xl
                            • Jun 2005

It's actually a modification product which extends vBulletins capabilities. It's called AME - Auto Media Embedding developed by TheVbGeek. The modifcation is available from this url: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=150863

Comment

• ---MAD---
                              • Jun 2005
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by NYU02
                              MAD,
                              Thank you very much for all your insight!

I have one more off the topic question:

I was all set to have someone setup my vbulletin for me - customizing the layout and design. Unfortunately, the lines of communication with that person are no longer there. How hard is it to setup yourself? I am close to a complete novice when it comes to web publishing and building a website. If it is too difficult, can you recommend a company?

Thanks,
                              NYU02
                              Making a unique skin is quite hard specially for a new vBulletin administrator. You need to be able to make graphics and stuff to achieve something of good quality so I do suggest you get someone to make it or buy an already made one. There are lots of companies out there. Make sure you ask on vbulletin.org and over here before buying a skin from a company to see what people say about that company if its good or not etc .

Other things like installing mods etc you can hire people to do that, theres a paid request forum over at www.vbulletin.org .

Good luck!

Thanks
                              MAD

Comment