Is putting in for the Free Branding option worth it?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • webgeek247
    • Mar 2006
    • 5.7.X

Is putting in for the Free Branding option worth it?

If by removing the copyright info it helps increase my rankings due to not linking to jelsoft, etc I will put in for it. If all it is is paying £80 just to remove copyright text I'll leave it though...!?

So, will I benefit by putting in for the Free Branding option? Yes or No?
    Web Hosting Forum | Fastest Hosting | Backup Storage
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

The copyright has no links, it does have a few words. Though im not sure how or why it would help your rankings,

Comment

• webgeek247
      • Mar 2006
      • 5.7.X

Originally posted by Zachery
      The copyright has no links, it does have a few words. Though im not sure how or why it would help your rankings,
      True, but the words are there permanently, surely Google, Yahoo, MSN and all other major Search Engines pick up that vbulletin isn't related to my Electronic Dance Music Website. That's what it's all about though isn't it - making sure you have right content and not linking to sites not related to your own etc...?

Comment

• webgeek247
        • Mar 2006
        • 5.7.X

I'm linking back to vBSEO in the footer on my forum. Maybe I should remove that first and see if my ranking increases? lol

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

For an SEO company they have an awful odd default branding.

Comment

• webgeek247
            • Mar 2006
            • 5.7.X

I don't understand what you mean by that? Please explain...

Comment

• feldon23
              • Nov 2001
              • 3.7.x

If having "vBulletin Copyright Jelsoft, etc." is bad for SEO (which I think is baloney), then why does vBSEO have such a large copyright notice?

Comment

• PcosKat
                • May 2002
                • 3.7.x

Originally posted by feldon23
                If having "vBulletin Copyright Jelsoft, etc." is bad for SEO (which I think is baloney), then why does vBSEO have such a large copyright notice?
                The op is asking about OUTBOUND links, not inbound.

Of interest:

Craig Harper asks – Thanks to the tips provided by yourself, Yaro, and Aaron Wall I’ve just managed to finally crack into the top ten on Google for my keywords ‘motivational speaker’. I read over on Yaro’s site here about the importance of outbound links being targeted at your niche. ...more

Personally, I see no upside to removing the Jelsoft branding.

I know that when I search for a message board on a particular topic, I google it as follows: topic, vbulletin

Sometimes it's easier to get what I'm looking for if I start with message boards.

Comment

• Quillz
                  • Nov 2004
                  • 5.0.X

I really don't see the branding free option worth the price, especially for the average consumer. It's really been geared more towards businesses and corporations that run a board on their intranet, for example, and want absolutely no third-party branding at all. By default, the copyright footer has no actual links to Jelsoft, and it hardly gets in the way, why would people want to spend so much money removing two small lines of text?
                  Forums

Comment

• Cyber Smoke
                    • Aug 2004
                    • 4.2.X

It is my belief that this option is solely intended for the use at the boards of large companies/corporations, where their own products are the main focus of marketing and copyright affairs. What does a reference to "Jelsoft" do? It increases the company's potential to draw additional customers. Does it have anything to do with your own forum? No.

Removing that option on a medium visited forum that's not daily engaged in the business will have no effect. And personally, I wouldn't remove it even if it was a commercial site, simply because I like the product & wish to support the folks who are working on it.
                    Last edited by Cyber Smoke; Tue 7 Aug '07, 7:38am.
                    The specifics of custom design

Comment

• greersfos
                      • Jul 2006
                      • 3.6.x

It may even be an advantage to leave the branding info. Your visitors will know you have quality software that is well maintained and that you are using the latest version.

I doubt that it makes any difference in your search engine rankings.

Jeff
                      http://docfortress.com

Comment

• ---MAD---
                        • Jun 2005
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Quillz
                        I really don't see the branding free option worth the price, especially for the average consumer. It's really been geared more towards businesses and corporations that run a board on their intranet, for example, and want absolutely no third-party branding at all. By default, the copyright footer has no actual links to Jelsoft, and it hardly gets in the way, why would people want to spend so much money removing two small lines of text?
                        I agree. You can tell if a site is vBulletin forum very easily anyway (if you use forums often) .

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...