Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brewhaus
    • May 2007

Problems in setup

We have just installed MySQL and PHP in order to make the transition to VB, but have hit a couple of problems. First is with testing of the server to make certain that it is ready to accept VB. We have placed the vb_test.php file in the root of the web, but when we try to open it in IE, we get a 'page not found' error. We can do an 'open with', although there is a lot of garble on the page. Any thoughts on either of these issues?

My second question is how to go about testing the server. When opening the file, it requests four pieces of information for MySQL-

MySQL Server
    MySQL Database
    MySQL Username
    MySQL Password

We were required to set up a password for MySQL, although we did not need to create a DB, leaving us with only the MySQL Server information available at the moment. Do I need to create a DB, or leave the last three blank?
  • antotony
    • Dec 2006
    • 3.6.x

well if it states that you need the MSql pass,username,etc. then you might wanna create a db and try it out.. i am not an expert in this field, but just try!!

Comment

• feldon23
      • Nov 2001
      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Brewhaus
      We have just installed MySQL and PHP in order to make the transition to VB, but have hit a couple of problems. First is with testing of the server to make certain that it is ready to accept VB. We have placed the vb_test.php file in the root of the web, but when we try to open it in IE, we get a 'page not found' error. We can do an 'open with', although there is a lot of garble on the page. Any thoughts on either of these issues?
      I am guessing you have a Microsoft Windows PC or Server and are installingIIS, MySQL, and PHP yourself? Or perhaps you are setting up your own web server in a corporate setting? Otherwise, most people buy web hosting on a web server that already has MySQL, PHP, etc. properly configured.

I believe you can post in the MySQL or PHP or Server Configuration forums here at vBulletin.com before you buy vBulletin. If not, I guess you can continue to post in this thread with your questions about getting PHP properly installed. To install MySQL and PHP on a Windows PC, many people use tools like LAMP which automagically installs Apache, MySQL, and PHP.

My second question is how to go about testing the server. When opening the file, it requests four pieces of information for MySQL-

We were required to set up a password for MySQL

MySQL Server
      MySQL Database
      MySQL Username
      MySQL Password
      The server is typically "localhost" or the IP address of the server.
      The password, you have.

Instructions on how to create a MySQL database are given in the vBulletin User Manual.

We did not need to create a DB, leaving us with only the MySQL Server information available at the moment. Do I need to create a DB, or leave the last three blank?
      You need to create a MySQL database to do a complete test.

Comment

• Brewhaus
        • May 2007

No- not able to post to the PHP or Server Configuration threads, so I hope nobody minds helping me here.Yes, I am installing on Windows SBS 2003. I downloaded MySql 5.0.41 with Setup.exe file. I went through the setup, and assumed this to be sufficient. Please let me know if I am incorrect here.PHP was version 5.2.2, with installer. Again, I used the installer to set this up. I do not have Apache on the system- is this necessary on a Windows system?I am able to open the vb_test.php file by right-clicking it, yet cannot open it by location for some reason. I am not sure if something was not completed properly, or if there is some other issue.

Comment

• feldon23
          • Nov 2001
          • 3.7.x

PHP and MySQL can work just fine with Microsoft IIS Web Server.

PHP needs to be installed and connected with IIS so that both PHP and ASP pages can be served and rendered properly.

I am not familiar with the steps necessary to do this, but based on how many people have got the same setup as you, this is certainly doable and people run vBulletin on such a platform all the time.

Comment

• Brewhaus
            • May 2007

Okay, I found the problem with PHP- I need to allow some CGI extensions that are not currently allowed. I do not wish to allow all unknown CGI extensions, so is anyone able to tell me how to go about adding only those necessary?When I temporary allowed all unknown CGI extensions, the page opened correctly. Next is to create the DB, but I want to take one step at a time.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...