Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ms.Rachel
    • Mar 2007

Lincense differnces?

Okay, before i purchase a liscense, i was wondering if for the first year you can have the Leased License then be able to upgrade or would you have to buy the Owned License? How does that work? And i dont know if this is okay to ask, but people buy used licenses, how would you know if it is okay?
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in the vBulletin Forum Software and for contacting vBulletin Sales.

The owned license is $160
    The leased license is $85

The leased and owned licenses are both the same. The only difference is that the leased license is valid per 12 months. And renewal (if you choose to continue to use it) is $85 for another 12 months.

The owned license does not require renewal, you're allowed to run an instance of vBulletin for an unlimited period of time. With an owned license the renewal is optional, and refers to the downloading of newer versions that are released. Renewal fee is $30, but again, not required in order to keep running vB.

If you buy a leased license you pay $85. If you choose to upgrade to an owned license it is $160 to upgrade. However, if you upgrade to owned within the first 60 days after your purchase of the leased license, the upgrade fee is only $85.

Buying second hand licenses is a risky business. Even months after you've purchased one from an unofficial party you run the risk of losing it. They can then still do a chargeback on the license.

To lower the risk of fraud, simply a) don't buy from them and only buy directly from us. Or b) have them provide their full name, email address and the license number they want to sell. Then check with sales from vBulletin.com if that name is linked to that license, with that email address. And if that license number is valid, active, and eligible for a transfer. Is it ok? Yes, we permit selling of second hand licenses (not through our web site) but if it is okay ..... you never know, you can get scammed every minute of the day by someone. And the scam / fraud rates are high. People even sell pirated versions. I strongly recommend to not run that risk and get a new full license with full support and 12 months free download access to newer versions, and not have to worry about getting scammed.

All the best,

Comment

• Ms.Rachel
      • Mar 2007

wow..thanks so much!!

Comment

• Floris
        • Dec 2001

You're welcome. And if you need any more information just ask

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
          • Sep 2001

The best value for your money is the owned license if you are thinking of what to get between the two.
          Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• bmc
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
            The best value for your money is the owned license if you are thinking of what to get between the two.
            I second this statement without hesitation.
            The Relationship Forum
            The Relationship Forum is the best online forum for getting advice and help about romantic and non-romantic relationships, dating and marriage advice, and love.

Comment

• Link00seven
              • Aug 2004
              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by bmc
              I second this statement without hesitation.
              Third, because even if in a year you don't believe your site is still going to be up, you'll always have the license for any future projects you may want to do!

Comment

• Ms.Rachel
                • Mar 2007

I really want to get the owned one..i just dont have that much money right now..it would be awesome if they had promo's for it..this is wierd..but im trying to sell my pool table so i can get the owned one (and also bc my brothers moving). thanks so much!!

Comment

• Zachery
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Jul 2002

You can buy a leased license and within 60 days pay an additional 85 (so 170 total) to upgrade yourself to an owned license.

Comment

• Subah
                    • Mar 2007
                    • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Ms.Rachel
                    I really want to get the owned one..i just dont have that much money right now..it would be awesome if they had promo's for it..this is wierd..but im trying to sell my pool table so i can get the owned one (and also bc my brothers moving). thanks so much!!
                    So wait untel you can get the owned one , and thin if you feel that you don`t need it you can sale in again

Comment

• manning
                      • Apr 2007

I just purchased the owned license ($160)

According to the website "The owned vBulletin Forum license allows you to run the software on your site indefinitely. " But, I just received my license info via email and it states [VBXXXXXXXX -- vBulletin (Owned License); expires: Apr 02nd '08].

Whats with the expiration date if I am permitted to use the software indefinitely? Are we going to be required to return and renew the license?

Comment

• Onimua
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by manning
                        I just purchased the owned license ($160)

According to the website "The owned vBulletin Forum license allows you to run the software on your site indefinitely. " But, I just received my license info via email and it states [VBXXXXXXXX -- vBulletin (Owned License); expires: Apr 02nd '08].

Whats with the expiration date if I am permitted to use the software indefinitely? Are we going to be required to return and renew the license?
                        It just refers to access to new upgrades. You can download free updates all the way through until April 2008; after that, you will need to renew for $30 in order to get another year's access to new updates.

This fee is optional, and you can still run the software with your current version without penalty.
                        Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

• Ms.Rachel
                          • Mar 2007

okay, so i want to get the forum going asap due to the stress of free forums..if i purchase the leased one and upgrade within 60days, how do i upgrade..? And will i have to get new software or what..? i will be able to upgrade by the end of the month. Im eager to get vbulletin.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            Former Customer Support Manager
                            • Jul 2000

You would not have to do anything else. This would only affect the status of your license, not your forum or files itself.
                            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Knight Rider
                              • Feb 2007
                              • 3.6.x

To upgrade, all you do is go to your members panel, click upgrade, pay and its upgraded. Its simple.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...