Limitations in number of forum categories ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr B
    • Mar 2007
    • 5.3.x

Limitations in number of forum categories ?

Are there any limitations in number of forum categories? If there are limitations, how many forum categories and child forums can i set up ? Can it work with 1000 categories ?

Will the forum performance be affected with a lot of forums ? In that case, what are the recommended server set up for approx 50 main categories with 20 child forums ?

Best regards from A. Bergman
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

There is no theoretical limit but the reality is that you will may start having issues once you go over 1000 forums or categories. This is a server issue processing that many forums.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Mr B
      • Mar 2007
      • 5.3.x

Thank you for the fast response ! Just wanted to check before i buy another license.

Best regards / A. Bergman

Comment

• nexialys
        • May 2004
        • 1.1.x

if you don't display the whole list of categories and forum in the main page, there is not much problems because you can split the display to have like 50 forums in a page without a serverload... remember also that the more you display forums, the more data is transfered to the visitors...
        oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• Mr B
          • Mar 2007
          • 5.3.x

Originally posted by nexialys
          if you don't display the whole list of categories and forum in the main page, there is not much problems because you can split the display to have like 50 forums in a page without a serverload... remember also that the more you display forums, the more data is transfered to the visitors...
          The though is to show one main category (with child forums) at the time so it should not be more than maximum 50 categories at the time. But there will be alot of main categories. If you understand what i mean.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

You'll want to turn off the forum jump menu.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• cbiweb
              • Apr 2004
              • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              You'll want to turn off the forum jump menu.
              Can you imagine!
              ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...