X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Auric
    • Jan 2007

Database space required, web space???

I'm confused on these.

Can someone with knowledge on what I need to have a growing site let me know if www.CanadianWebhosting.com

has enough space for me to run vbulletin and have lots of space for my site and forum to hold what it needs to? I know their php and MySQL is high enough for vbulletin but I don't know if they will offer me enough space for a growing site. (right now with a different site I have with them, I have the Starter plan with 1000mb)

I think I'll have to Leave yahoo, but I've emailed them to find out if they have higher versions of php and MySQL I can run vbulletin on.
  • DJDarknez
    • Mar 2005
    • 3.7.x

Yes, leave Yahoo. I think you meant http://www.canadianwebhosting.com/

How many users do you have, how many more are you expecting?

I'd go with their medium sized hosting plan, the $8.95 CAD/month plan. Attachments and a possible gallery can suck up space quite quickly.

Comment

• Auric
      • Jan 2007

I don't have any members yet because I haven't started the forum, I didn't buy it yet. But say if in the next 2 months I have 100 active members with avatars etc, plus maybe some podcasting capabilities and people uploading some attachments each month.

What I don't get is how can I find out what is the difference between web space and database space... it seems yahoo offers a lot of data transfer each month 200,000 mb, and 5000mb per month of disk space, and canadianwebhosting isn't anywhere near this. So I'm really confused on what to do and I'm not sure how much database space canadian webhosting offers. the 8.95 CAD plan offers 1000mb, is that enough? that's only 1 gig - does that 1000mb mean database space or webspace I'm really not sure about this.

Comment

• TheFrienzNetwork
        • Jan 2007
        • 3.6.x

You gotta be kidding me, you paid almost 10 dollars for a host like this? I can get you MUCH better for a cheaper price and it's really good. I'm using it for something else than my current forum. Not to mention that you get a free life time domain.

If you order now, your host will be working in the next 30 minutes. For domain, it's only two hours.
        Make love not war, condoms are cheaper than bullets.

Comment

• feldon23
          • Nov 2001
          • 3.7.x

I cannot recommend 1and1 hosting.

Comment

• mcm-never-dies
            • Apr 2006
            • 3.8.x

me neither, 1and1 is a huge overseller, and going with an overseller is allways a bad idea. No garantuees, bad support, and sometimes they just kick you off for whatever reason

Comment

• feldon23
              • Nov 2001
              • 3.7.x

and 1and1 is guilty of the bizarre practice of measuring MySQL database space and webspace differently, specifically limiting databases to only 100MB each. This is unusual in the web hosting world and a real hindrance to growing any serious website.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...