Yahoo Webhosting doesn't support vbulletin?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Auric
    • Jan 2007

Yahoo Webhosting doesn't support vbulletin?

I'm with Yahoo webhosting. I just looked into what Yahoo webhosting offers for php -4.3.11 and MySQL is lower than what vBulletin requires too.

So what does this mean for me? Will vBulletin not work with Yahoo webhosting at all? Will it be slower? What exactly does the support versions affect if it's too low?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Yes, it does work but you need to be on a server that meets the minimum requirements.

Personally I would recommend finding a real webhost though, i.e., someone who's main business is web hosting.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Auric
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      Yes, it does work but you need to be on a server that meets the minimum requirements.
      I don't understand what Yes means if I need to be on a server that meets minimum requirements.

on Yahoo MySQL only runs at 3.3 and vBulletin requires 4.0.

So I can't use vBulletin unless I switch hosts?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

Yes, means that if Yahoo puts you on a servert that has the minimum requirements for PHP and MySQL it will work. They have more than one server.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Auric
          • Jan 2007

Considering I'm going to have to likely switch hosts (I've been having issues with Yahoo anyway, and if they don't offer what I want it's better to just leave sooner than later)

Can I still purchase vBulletin, work on it, get things organized, layout etc, then upload it to my new webhost, or do I have to have everything plugged into my webhost to configure it the way I want to have it?

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

You will have to have a web server with the correct versions of PHP and MySQL installed in order to install and run vBulletin.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• feldon23
              • Nov 2001
              • 3.7.x

You are, of course, welcome to install Apache/PHP/MySQL on your PC and run a test copy of vBulletin there. People usually use a package like WAMP which installs all 3 programs and configures them for you. It can still be daunting to get a webserver and website setup on your PC though!

Comment

• LostTrucker
                • Feb 2007
                • 3.6.x

Yahoo:
                PHP 4.3.11
                MySQL 4.1.12

Minimum:
                PHP 4.3.3
                MySQL 4.0.16

Recommended
                PHP 4.4.2 or 5.1.2 or later
                MySQL 5.0.19 or later

so why do you say it isnt supported by Yahoo?

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                  • Jun 2002

It's based on experience. Yahoo does something to their PHP that makes it sorta tricky for vBulletin owners to install vBulletin.
                  ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                  Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• nexialys
                    • May 2004
                    • 1.1.x

not only tricky, but obsolete settings...

the PHP installed on all yahoo webhost packages is with minimum configurations... no GD, no ImageMagick, no curl, etc... so it is mostly impossible to run any kind of website that use the up-to-date features of PHP...

also, having a "number" as a reference for versions is not only important, version 4.3.1 is later than 4.4... so it is obsolete... (and 3 years old... the internet is running at lightspeed!)
                    oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...