X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sobe
    • Jan 2006

Before purchasing

Ok, I'm currently using PHP-Fusion
    as my CMS. And I WILL say that I have not seen an up-to-date PF site hacked. However, it does lack features.. Especially permissions, etc. for forums and such. That is why, I am looking at vBulletin. I plan to have an HTML coded custom site, with vBulletin as my forums board. But, with paying $160, why is it only a year of updates?

I just want to know the boundaries, etc. before I jump up and spend this much..
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

160 USD gets you a license for life, you can use it untill the sun dies and if you wanted never install and or upgrade if you are happy with it. We do publish fixes for more recent versions in both the members area and the forums.

The 30 USD covers continued updates and new versions for another 12 months, you can let your download access to new versions lapse at any time and choose to renew at a future point.

Comment

• sobe
      • Jan 2006

Ok, now the biggest thing that comes to my mind is in question. Do I have to register for a single domain? I only plan on using it one place, but if I change my domain name... That would be my biggest worry really.

Comment

• feldon23
        • Nov 2001
        • 3.7.x

You are allowed to run one installation of vBulletin publicly. You can change the domain, move it to another server, etc. as long as only 1 public version is running. You can also have a test/debug version which is private.

Comment

• ComputerVitals
          • Oct 2005
          • 3.8.x

Correct me if I am wrong.

I can have my vB installation. Register my domain with vB.
          But I have have as many domains point to that installation as I want to correct?

Comment

• sobe
            • Jan 2006

What about SQL disk space? My host has a 100MB SQL disk space limit. With PHP-Fusion, my users, posts, downloads, articles, news, etc. I am using only 0.41MB of SQL disk space. With 3.6MB starting off for vBulletin, how far would 100MB get me....

Comment

• gbhedges
              • Oct 2006
              • 3.6.x

Hey Sobe its me Sbhedges from PF (Different Username) 100MB would get you far for Space if you don't use Saving for Avatars (Were it saves them to a folder) and just use normal image coding (image.php?img=blablabla). SQL at that much you would be at well it depends on how many people join. Good luck!

Comment

• VietLang
                • Aug 2005
                • 3.5.x

It depends on many factors, really. But in my experience, 100 MB should probably get you anywhere from 70,000 - 100,000 posts.

Comment

• feldon23
                  • Nov 2001
                  • 3.7.x

Originally posted by sobe
                  What about SQL disk space? My host has a 100MB SQL disk space limit. With PHP-Fusion, my users, posts, downloads, articles, news, etc. I am using only 0.41MB of SQL disk space. With 3.6MB starting off for vBulletin, how far would 100MB get me....
                  It is highly recommend that you ditch 1&1 web hosting. You know why I know it's 1&1, because no other web hosting company is stupid enough to put a SQL limit like that. They have very poor support if you have any problems with SQL database usage.

Spacewise, if you store attachments, etc. in the file system you should be able to run for 1-3 years. But if you have support problems they won't be very helpful.

Comment

• feldon23
                    • Nov 2001
                    • 3.7.x

Originally posted by ComputerVitals
                    Correct me if I am wrong.

I can have my vB installation. Register my domain with vB.
                    But I have have as many domains point to that installation as I want to correct?
                    As long as you aren't concealing that it's 1 forum. You can't hide and show forums based on which domain you came from. It has to be obvious that it's all part of 1 forum. You can have different styles in different parts of the forum, and you can link each domain to a subdomain on your forum, as long as you can get back to the "top".

Comment

• sobe
                      • Jan 2006

Well, I've recieved excellent support from 1and1 representatives, including issues regarding MySQL, etc.

And for the hell of it, can you guys recommend some quality hosts then? My biggest "need" is the bandwidth. With my 1and1 package currently, I get 100GB of webspace and 1,000GB monthly bandwidth. 1and1 also seems to do good as you get 2domains with my package, but I am willing to switch of I can find a better host for a decent amount. Shared hosting of course, I plan on purchasing a dedicated server in the future
                      , but just not now.
                      And I was looking at servage.net, but they seem to limit so many queries per hour.

Comment

• feldon23
                        • Nov 2001
                        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by sobe
                        With my 1and1 package currently, I get 100GB of webspace and 1,000GB monthly bandwidth.
                        I'm paying $109/mo for this. Curious what you're paying.

Comment

• sobe
                          • Jan 2006

$4.99/month, $59.88/year

I have the Linux 1and1 Home package, they recently upped their storage and bandwidth amounts. I've been using them for over a year now, and the service is spectacular I must say. And with my package, I get 2 domain names, etc. Of course though, this is shared hosting... And you probably have dedicated.

Comment

• feldon23
                            • Nov 2001
                            • 3.7.x

Yes, it's a dedicated server from ServerMatrix.

Comment

• MoMan
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by feldon23
                              Yes, it's a dedicated server from ServerMatrix.
                              You just can't beat the speed of dedicated, or even VMS for that matter. Godaddy have good rates, and Softlayer have extremely high performance.
                              Adam

Admin of PentaxForums.com, premiere photography forum for Pentax users (Big-Board).

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...