X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeadShurtugal
    • Nov 2006

Why Paid?

Why does vBulletin have to be paid. I, personally, don't think it is fair to make you buy it to use it. Yes I know there are a lot of features in vBulletin, but their are also a lot of features in SMF (Simple Machines) to and it is free. There are going to be a lot of new features in phpBB v3, but it is free. I really want to use vBulletin, but I don't want to buy it in order to use it, so I am not going to use it unless it can be free.

If it has to be bought, then you should make new versions be bought (like php-Nuke). And the previous versions free. I am just stating my opinion, and if that is wrong on this forum then delete my account.

-LeadShurtugal
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

You're more than welcome to state your opinion, unlike SMF phpBB and other solutions, we provide support and code updates and the team that does this is paid to do so. When you buy vBulletin you are not only getting code that is written by indivudals who are dedicated to their jobs and at developing just vBulletin, but you are also getting support from professionals who are dedicating their time to make sure if you have a problem, or need pointed in the right direction you get it.

I could use the same argument for windows vs linux vs etc. Why pay for windows when linux is free? Or OSX when linux is free.

Comment

• Shouzen
      • Aug 2006
      • 3.5.x

Yeah, I have been using Invisionfree, phpp anf all those other forum softwares when I was new to forum and when I cam across vbulletin, man was it the best thing the web gave me. Vbulletin may not be free but it's good, hell it's the best and phpp and smf doesn't come close to VB.

~Shouzen

Comment

• LeadShurtugal
        • Nov 2006

well what I basicly mean is, the Hight price for it. $80 for it :O with the cost of my webhosting, I just can't afford it. Maybe $40 I could see, just not $80.
        <random>
        I have another question. Does vB have an automatic installer like SMF?
        </random>

Comment

• Ati2
          • Jan 2006
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by LeadShurtugal
          Why does vBulletin have to be paid. I, personally, don't think it is fair to make you buy it to use it.
          <irony on>

I was always wondering why I have to pay for bread. It should be free. It's not fair that it's not.

In fact, I would like a house for free please. I don't care that people worked weeks to build it. They probably get everything for free too, so it's not fair that I have to pay for it.

<irony off>
          Queosia - Hódító - Hódító fórum - Spirituális fórum - Spirituális oldal

Comment

• LeadShurtugal
            • Nov 2006

Well the latest versions, I could see 'being paid'. Past releases, though, should be made free of charge and open to the public, sort of like php-Nuke. The latest release of their product (php-Nuke) always had to be bought. But after another release came out, the previous release was open to the public, free of charge.
            In fact, I would like a house for free please.
            Actually in Kingsley, Mi there is a house that is free. You just got to move it.

-LeadShurtugal
            Future writer of 'The War Begins'
            Last edited by LeadShurtugal; Sat 4 Nov '06, 6:51am.

Comment

• Chousho
              • Jan 2004
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Zachery
              I could use the same argument for windows vs linux vs etc. Why pay for windows when linux is free? Or OSX when linux is free.
              Haha. Yeah, but how many people use the support MS offers compared to Jelsoft percentage wise?

In regards to the OP - If you think it's too expensive, dont' use it. You say you want to use VBulletin. Is that because it's a good quality product? After having it for over a year, I say it's worth more than the $160 that was paid.

I'm thinking from the way you speak that you might be in your teens? Try to work for some money, mowing lawns, doing odd jobs, etc. You don't have to pay for housing or food, so it's not as much of a burden compared to others who have electricity, water, insurance, car and rent bills that come.

Comment

• RichM
                • Jan 2003
                • 4.0.x

vBulletin should go up in price, not down.

vBulletin also provides features to help earn money. vBulletin on my forum has long paid for itself. I now have other issues to worry about. ($219 a month server bills)
                Last edited by RichM; Sat 4 Nov '06, 7:23am.

Comment

• LeadShurtugal
                  • Nov 2006

Yeah I am in my teens. I am asking for my parents for like MS Frontpage for christmas, as I am good at web designing.
                  Ok you can lock this topic if you want.

Comment

• Ati2
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 3.8.x

Well the latest versions, I could see 'being paid'. Past releases, though, should be made free of charge and open to the public, sort of like php-Nuke. The latest release of their product (php-Nuke) always had to be bought. But after another release came out, the previous release was open to the public, free of charge.
                    I don't see why people should run out-of-date, perhaps even bugy software on their sites. If someone wants that, there are plenty of such free software out there, try phpBB, for example.

Maybe we should also try to convince Microsoft to start giving Windows95 for free, I'm sure many people would love the idea.

Sorry, I'm more ironic than ever, it's probably the weather... But still, if you want a free forum, you can find many-many out there on the net. If you want lots of features, and still want to have a good night's sleep without worrying whether your site will still be up tomorrow, you have to pay for it. vBulletin is pretty cheap, compared to other products (not just forums), I think it is worth the money.
                    Queosia - Hódító - Hódító fórum - Spirituális fórum - Spirituális oldal

Comment

• simsim
                      • Nov 2005
                      • 3.6.x

Why you don't simply use SMF or phpBB then? Since it is obvious that you've recognized vBulletin superiority over the other alternatives, you should expect that quality software does cost money to be produced. Your reasoning looks like as if you don't pay for anything in your life! BMW has more features than FIAT, does it have to be free?
                      You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

• LeadShurtugal
                        • Nov 2006

I have paid webhosting with Lunarpages thank you very much. And I do use phpBB and SMF. I was looking at vBulletin, until I found out you had to buy it. Just please lock this topic, or even delete the topic. And you guys didn't answer one of my questions, does it include one of those auto installers like SMF. So we don't have to install modifications manually.

Comment

• Kelmas
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 4.2.X

I would compare that to webhosting. You can find many for free, you can buy cheap shared hosting, you can choose more expensive VPS and of course as your needs grow, purchase dedicated that you think costs a fortune.

If you are not making money from your site, then most probably quality of hosting is not that much important. But as each and every minute of downtime and lazy support costs you, you can not doubt what to choose.

Long ago I thought that free host was just perfect for my site. Later I noticed need of fast support and moved to shared server (paid of course). Now I got a VPS to study the way Linux servers work and then I'll move to a dedicated.

If two years ago someone could say me I'll move to at least VPS, I would have said "Are you insane? It costs a fortune!". And now I even think about dedicated.

Same with vBulletin. I still run one forum on phpBB but only because that project hasn't big budget. And I run my own site's forum on vBulletin. Because that is quality software that absolutely meets my needs. None of the others did.

What do you mean "autoinstaller"? Yes, vB can easily update software, compare and fix templates, convert data form other boards etc etc.
                          Gytis Repecka
                          NFS Tuning webmaster
                          Need for Speed and Car Tuning forum | AutoNews | Need for Speed

Comment

• Dilly
                            • Mar 2005

No. Why would it? vBulletin doesn't support modifications.

Perhaps try at vbulletin.org

Comment

• Zachery
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • Jul 2002

I have paid webhosting with Lunarpages thank you very much. And I do use phpBB and SMF. I was looking at vBulletin, until I found out you had to buy it. Just please lock this topic, or even delete the topic. And you guys didn't answer one of my questions, does it include one of those auto installers like SMF. So we don't have to install modifications manually.
                              Never heard of an auto installer per-se, however we do have a plugin system which any additional templates, queries, and code modifications can be done via it. It reduces the ammount of work required to add modifications.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...