Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skeptical
    • Oct 2000

forum hosting

I'm interested in setting up a community of free online forums (not downloadable). Am I allowed to modify the code so that people can set up their own online forums? They won't be able to download anything, just set up their own forums online (some features disabled).

I know phpbb will let me do it, but I think vB is a much better product so I thought I'd ask.
    Well, there it is.
    - Keeper of the Grove
  • RagnarokDensetsu
    • Nov 2005
    • 3.7.x

Each separate community would require a separate vBulletin license, so the answer to this is "no."

Sites like http://myfreebulletinboard.com/ can not legally be created with vBulletin... unless you're willing to spend $160 for each user that signs up with it

Comment

• Skeptical
      • Oct 2000

Can I get an answer from a staff on this? I remember asking a few years ago and I was told it's ok to do that. Thanks.
      Well, there it is.
      - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

• Marco van Herwaarden
        • Nov 2004
        • 3.8.x

If it will appear as a seperate board, then it will require a seperate license:
        License Agreement
        vBulletin licence grants you the right to run one instance (a single installation) of the Software on one web server and one web site for each licence purchased. Each licence may power one instance of the Software on one domain. For each installed instance of the Software, a separate licence is required. Modifications to the software or database to circumvent the one-license-one-board rule are prohibited.
        The Software is licensed only to you. You may not rent, lease, sublicence, sell, assign, pledge, transfer or otherwise dispose of the Software in any form, on a temporary or permanent basis, without the prior written consent of Jelsoft.
        Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
        Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

• feldon23
          • Nov 2001
          • 3.7.x

"Forum Hosting" is strictly prohibited by the vBulletin license agreement. Maybe some day there will be a license that allows this, probably $1500+.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...