X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimMM
    • Aug 2006
    • 3.6.x

Who are messages to?

Is there a way to tell who the intended recipient of a message or reply is? Is there a user or admin setting that can be set to show if the intended recipient has read the message yet or not? If this is not a feature of the software, is there a plug-in that accomplishes this capability?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

What message or reply are you referring to?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• feldon23
      • Nov 2001
      • 3.7.x

Are you talking about Private Messages?

In vBulletin 3.5 and earlier, the Recipient field was an implied BCC. Any entries you put in there would receive the message with no knowledge of other recipients. Starting with vBulletin 3.6, you have the choice of CC or BCC. You can request a read receipt on Private Messages since vBulletin 3.0 so you can find out if the message has been read or not.

Comment

• JimMM
        • Aug 2006
        • 3.6.x

Any message that is a reply.

Comment

• JimMM
          • Aug 2006
          • 3.6.x

No, public.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

Sorry, I still don't understand what you are asking.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• feldon23
              • Nov 2001
              • 3.7.x

Threads/Topics are not meant for 1 person. They are public. So there is no way to know which users have read a Thread/Topic or Reply to a Thread/Topic.

Comment

• karlm
                • Jun 2006
                • 5.3.x

in admincp, you can set the database to record (as oppose cookies) whether a user has read a thread (or replies to) or not.
                So i'm sure a plugin could be created that would be able to read the database contents and then use a new screen (should be admin/mod only accessible) which would inform the viewer (of that page only) who has read it. If it's intended for a specific user to read (but also open to anyone else to read), then a variable could be set for the database to record this information, so a red tag-line could be displayed as a warning *user-xyz has not yet read this*, or similar.
                I've seena plugin on vb.org which allows 'user specific' (or group specific) threads to be created, if they can create a tool to limit users who can view, then i'm sure a tool can be created to monitor too.
                VB 5.4.1 - PHP 7..2.4 - MySQL 5.5.56
                No Addons - none at all.

Comment

• JimMM
                  • Aug 2006
                  • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                  Sorry, I still don't understand what you are asking.
                  If I reply to a message, is the person I'm replying to designated as the recipient of my reply in the database?

Is there a way to designate a recipient on a new message that is not a reply. How would I address a message to you, or to Admin? ... or a specific member?

Comment

• TygerTyger
                    • Aug 2005
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Jim Maki
                    If I reply to a message, is the person I'm replying to designated as the recipient of my reply in the database?

Is there a way to designate a recipient on a new message that is not a reply. How would I address a message to you, or to Admin? ... or a specific member?
                    Type their username in the Recipient Username(s): box. A drop-down suggest list will appear for auto-completion of the username if your browser supports Javascript and both it and forum AJAX is enabled.

Comment

• feldon23
                      • Nov 2001
                      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Jim Maki

I think maybe you don't understand the purpose of a forum?

Or maybe you are wanting a messaging system rather than a forum?

Comment

• JimMM
                        • Aug 2006
                        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by feldon23
                        I think maybe you don't understand the purpose of a forum?

Or maybe you are wanting a messaging system rather than a forum?
                        I've been managing forums since 1984, so I know a couple things about them.

There are many very good reasons it's good to know who a message's intended recipient is.

Comment

• JimMM
                          • Aug 2006
                          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by TygerTyger
                          Type their username in the Recipient Username(s): box. A drop-down suggest list will appear for auto-completion of the username if your browser supports Javascript and both it and forum AJAX is enabled.
                          Thanks! Appreciate the useful reply!

Comment

• JimMM
                            • Aug 2006
                            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by karlm
                            in admincp, you can set the database to record (as oppose cookies) whether a user has read a thread (or replies to) or not.
                            So i'm sure a plugin could be created that would be able to read the database contents and then use a new screen (should be admin/mod only accessible) which would inform the viewer (of that page only) who has read it. If it's intended for a specific user to read (but also open to anyone else to read), then a variable could be set for the database to record this information, so a red tag-line could be displayed as a warning *user-xyz has not yet read this*, or similar.
                            I've seena plugin on vb.org which allows 'user specific' (or group specific) threads to be created, if they can create a tool to limit users who can view, then i'm sure a tool can be created to monitor too.
                            You would think, yes ... thanks so much for giving me hope! Maybe vB will realize the value of including features like this.

Comment

• feldon23
                              • Nov 2001
                              • 3.7.x

I have never heard of a public topic being addressed to a specific user and it being important to know whether that specific user has read it. Interesting.

I wish I knew more about what exact solution you were doing.

For instance there are Helpdesk and Trouble Ticket type add-ons to vBulletin.

Comment