Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redtaz
    • Jul 2006

What do i need before i buy vb?

OK i understand i need some stuff before i buy vb: this does offer everything i need for vb http://www.sh3lls.net/web_plan.htm the platinum. Of course i know the domain must be seperate but does that offer evrything i need or do i also need something else?
  • feldon23
    • Nov 2001
    • 3.7.x

Just based on the specs (no idea on their reputation, quality of service, downtime, etc.) that looks ok to me for your first year or two of hosting a website and forum. The lack of Telnet/SSH means you will need to write a little backup script to perform backups of your forum but I don't think that's too much of a concern.

I'd do a quick search of WebHostingTalk.com and maybe a "sh3lls.net sucks" search on Google.

Note that www.sh3lls.net is the same as http://www.freebsd.org.in/web_plan.htm

Comment

• redtaz
      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by feldon23
      Just based on the specs (no idea on their reputation, quality of service, downtime, etc.) that looks ok to me for your first year or two of hosting a website and forum. The lack of Telnet/SSH means you will need to write a little backup script to perform backups of your forum but I don't think that's too much of a concern.

I'd do a quick search of WebHostingTalk.com and maybe a "sh3lls.net sucks" search on Google.

Note that www.sh3lls.net is the same as http://www.freebsd.org.in/web_plan.htm
      Oic hmm well someone told me about this company they have a forum that is run on this and i was wondering is this a better than sh3lls: http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/we...ing-plans.html i was thinking of getting the deluxe plan or would i need more GB and MB space?
      Last edited by redtaz; Mon 7 Aug '06, 4:16pm.

Comment

• feldon23
        • Nov 2001
        • 3.7.x

vBulletin uses around 8 MB when installed. After 5 years, my vBulletin forum including attachments (uploaded pictures, etc.), avatars, profile pics, etc. is less than 400 MB. The main reason to jump ship on a host and move to another is if your forum gets busy enough that vBulletin is using more memory (RAM) and execution cycles (CPU) than your host feels is worth $10 a month.

How fast do you think your forum is going to grow? It's not the number of members, posts, it's the number of concurrent sessions. How many people are actively using your forum every day.

Comment

• redtaz
          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by feldon23
          vBulletin uses around 8 MB when installed. After 5 years, my vBulletin forum including attachments (uploaded pictures, etc.), avatars, profile pics, etc. is less than 400 MB. The main reason to jump ship on a host and move to another is if your forum gets busy enough that vBulletin is using more memory (RAM) and execution cycles (CPU) than your host feels is worth $10 a month.

How fast do you think your forum is going to grow? It's not the number of members, posts, it's the number of concurrent sessions. How many people are actively using your forum every day.
          I dont think it will grow to fast maybe within 5 months or so. Wow so as my site goes going bigger i can just buy more MB space but if the 2 which would you recomend?

Comment

• Maxpayne0312
            • Sep 2005

If I may recommend a host, www.servage.net is great. I am an admin on a forum running on that host and it's excellent. The deal is great, the ticket response times are 10-20mins and the service is great. We have not been down once since we started hosting with them (few months ago).

Comment

• Leapfrog
              • Jul 2006
              • 3.6.x

There are a number of hosts that offer sponsorships. I dont mean like forumrunner or others.

Dotservant.com will grant a sponsored hosting account to alot of young aspring webmasters. They require a few text ads being placed on the your site in excahge though.

I no longer use them for my main site, as a site I administrate is hosting it in exchage for my helping with there site. However several of my sites use the sponsored program by Dotservant. Uptime is good and vB will work just fine with them.

Dotservant

Might be worth a look.

Comment

• Mr Mostafa
                • Aug 2006

There are a number of hosts that offer sponsorships. I dont mean like forumrunner or others.

Dotservant.com will grant a sponsored hosting account to alot of young aspring webmasters. They require a few text ads being placed on the your site in excahge though.

Comment

• ScĀ®iPt
                  • Aug 2006
                  • 4.2.X

---
                  To Be Smart ، Play With Smarter
                  Mahmoud Elklmawy

Comment

• redtaz
                    • Jul 2006

OK ill be getting VBulletin very soon and i found this one web hosting site which says its no. 1 for vbulletin hosting this is the site: http://www.siteground.com/ is this hosting services really no. 1 for vbulletin hosting? If so do you recommend i get this hosting for when i purchase vbulletin?

Comment

• ---MAD---
                      • Jun 2005
                      • 3.8.x

If you are looking for a good, reliable host, go with www.lunarpages.com

They have outstandings support, great servers, great offers however they may cost a few dollars more than you would want to spend but they are reliable and outstanding! I have had great experiance with them for 2 years, maybe 30 mins downtime (when we switched severs by requested).

Thanks
                      MAD

Comment

• redtaz
                        • Jul 2006

OK im down to 2 choices: http://www.lunarpages.com/windows-hosting/ that one or this 1: http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/we...ing-plans.html (The Deluxe Plan)

Which do you think is better?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...