X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mattrix18
    • Aug 2006

Age specific forums

Hi,
    Is it possible for an administrator to create a forum on their website which only allows people of a certain age to enter and which also masks on the forum index what is being said inside?

For example, if I wanted to set up an adults only section, could I make it so only people with a date of birth which puts them 18+ could enter that specific forum while letting them in the others?

If this isn't possible, this is a request for a future update.
  • Colin F
    • May 2004

You can disallow guests from viewing what's in a forum, but there's no function to disallow registration for users under x years.
    There might be a plugin that does this on www.vbulletin.org though, I recommend you ask there.
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• feldon23
      • Nov 2001
      • 3.7.x

I'm sure there are plugins. It's also trivial to write a couple of conditionals that block access based on age. Of course anyone can get around those age restrictions if they are so inclined.

Comment

• Mattrix18
        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by feldon23
        Of course anyone can get around those age restrictions if they are so inclined.
        Yes but that isn't my concern. My concern is Australian law which is very strict when it comes to online adult content. Users can fake their date of birth all they like as far as im concerned.

People cant even host X-Rated content on Australian web servers.

Comment

• nexialys
          • May 2004
          • 1.1.x

for your request you will need to activate the entire COPPA process in your admincp and force all members to verify their age via the COPPA system.

btw, even with laws and enforcements, you will have people faking their age on the internet. if your goal is to have adult content on a forum, you may have to use payement as a filter, and use a payement system that use credit cards to verify the age of members. (and even there, you will have kids that use faked credit cards to force the system)...
          oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• Mattrix18
            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by nexialys
            for your request you will need to activate the entire COPPA process in your admincp and force all members to verify their age via the COPPA system.
            COPPA stands for Children's Online Privacy Protection Act.

We don't have that here and the rules are differen't. That magical number of age 13 is totally irrelevant.

My rules are this: "You agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of the Commonwealth of Australia and the State of New South Wales, Australia."

Comment

• feldon23
              • Nov 2001
              • 3.7.x

I would never run a website in Australia or Germany because of the absurd, nonsensical laws getting passed there. I'd run it offshore.

Comment

• Dilly
                • Mar 2005

That still doesn't protect you from Australian law.

Comment

• Eagle Creek
                  • Apr 2003
                  • 3.6.x

Originally posted by feldon23
                  I would never run a website in Australia or Germany because of the absurd, nonsensical laws getting passed there. I'd run it offshore.
                  But then he's still an Australian citizen?
                  http://www.nucia.nl/forum/
                  The best way to kill malware; is to kill it together.

Comment

• Carlos X
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Colin F
                    You can disallow guests from viewing what's in a forum, but there's no function to disallow registration for users under x years.
                    There might be a plugin that does this on www.vbulletin.org though, I recommend you ask there.
                    You know, after reading a few times the original post.....

I'm inclined to say, I don't think you know what he's talking about. I think he wants his board public. But, he wants to make a private forum, for ages OVER 18. He wants to know if you can let REGULAR members that are age requrement(s) met, but keep out the ones that DON'T meet the requirement(s).

But I think you don't know the answer. So, I'll give him a solution.

Original Poster: Follow these steps.

-Create a usergroup.
                    -Create the adult forum.
                    -MASK the forum to only [insert usergroup's name here].

But in order for the others to be kept out of the forum, edit the separate memberships, member, COPPA, viewers, etc.

And if they want to be members of that usergroup, make a thread about it, make the rules, make sure you tell them to PM you, so that you can manually change their membership from the regular usergroup, to the adult usergroup.

Yes, I have some Administrative experience.
                    Last edited by Carlos X; Mon 7 Aug '06, 10:28pm.

Comment

• Eagle Creek
                      • Apr 2003
                      • 3.6.x

Looking for this: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=118496 ?

Comment

• Eagle Creek
                        • Apr 2003
                        • 3.6.x

Guess not?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...