X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tyler_d
    • Aug 2006
    • 3.6.x

Will License work w/Test Server?

I noticed that purchasers have to put a specific URL where vB will be used when making a purchase and I assume that has something to do with where the license code will allow the s/w to work.

Okay, lets say my license is for: www.tylers-domain.com/forums/

and I have a test server set up at: test.tylers-domain.com/forums/

Will my vB license also allow my s/w to work on the test server for that sub-domain which I also own?

Also, do we get to download and use the vB beta releases w/our licenses?
    Last edited by tyler_d; Thu 3 Aug '06, 12:15pm.
    -Tyler D.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Yes, the license agreement allows you to set up a test board:

"If you have a valid license, you may set up an additional test forum in order to test code, template and database modifications. To make this clear to us and our license verification procedures, place it in a directory called 'testvb' and be sure to password protect it. It must not be accessible by the general public."

And yes, customers have access to current Beta versions but these are removed from the Members Area as soon as the next beta is released or the final is released.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• tyler_d
      • Aug 2006
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      "If you have a valid license, you may set up an additional test forum in order to test code, template and database modifications. To make this clear to us and our license verification procedures, place it in a directory called 'testvb'.
      As far as my dilemna regarding a licensed URL and how it will work with my test server, if I register my URL as tylers-domain.com/forums instead of www.tylers-domain.com/forums will this allow me a wildcard as to the subdomains on which the license will work?

Such as test.tylers-domain.com/forums or testserver2.tylers-domain.com/forums

Just curious if the "www." prefix has to be specified when registering the URL for the license and what flexibility the license will allow for subdomain testing usage if the "www." subdomain is NOT specified.

A 'testvb' directory would be easy to create (and pw protect) on the subdomain test server, but my real concern is whether the license validation algorithm will technically allow me to conduct tests on a test subdomain. Need to know if a wildcard subdomain will work for the URL location when registering.
      Last edited by tyler_d; Mon 7 Aug '06, 2:39am.
      -Tyler D.

Comment

• Colin F
        • May 2004

A simple testvb subdirectory will suffice. There should be no technical problems with the installation.
        The URL isn't checked during the installation, so a wildcard isn't needed.
        Best Regards
        Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...