X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ~Volvagia~
    • Jul 2006

Is vBulletin free?

I've been wanting to make a vBulletin board for some time now, but was wondering if it was free, or it costs money. The thing is, at a young age, I'm not able to purchase anything from the Internet. I also presume vBulletin is American, which is even more difficult for me to find out about due to my Australian heritage. I've tried other forum hosters, but I don't like any of them, so that's why I've come here to find out if this great vBulletin is free or not. So, is vBulletin free, or does it cost money?
  • I-Web
    • Mar 2004
    • 3.6.x

No it costs $$$

Comment

• ~Volvagia~
      • Jul 2006

Ah, well then, I guess I'll have to use a different host.

Comment

• Creepshow
        • May 2005
        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by ~Volvagia~
        Ah, well then, I guess I'll have to use a different host.
        If you have a birthday coming up soon, why not ask your parents for a vBulletin license?
        "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

• ~Volvagia~
          • Jul 2006

That's a good idea, but my mum wouldn't let me. Especially if it's only avilable for purchase over the Internet. I could always ask my nanna, since this is her computer. Then again, if vBulletin is American, that makes things alot more difficult, as I live in Australia and we have different currency here.

I just had my fifteenth birthday awhile ago.

Comment

• Creepshow
            • May 2005
            • 3.5.x

That's a good idea, but my mum wouldn't let me. Especially if it's only avilable for purchase over the Internet. I could always ask my nanna, since this is her computer. Then again, if vBulletin is American, that makes things alot more difficult, as I live in Australia and we have different currency here.

Currency shouldn't be a problem if you use PayPal or something similar.
            "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

• kurtbarker
              • Nov 2005
              • 3.7.x

I've been wanting to make a vBulletin board for some time now, but was wondering if it was free, or it costs money. The thing is, at a young age, I'm not able to purchase anything from the Internet. I also presume vBulletin is American, which is even more difficult for me to find out about due to my Australian heritage. I've tried other forum hosters, but I don't like any of them, so that's why I've come here to find out if this great vBulletin is free or not. So, is vBulletin free, or does it cost money?
              Hey mate, I saw this and thought 'I gotta comment'. I'm aussie too

vBulletin has 2 payment options
              -Leased licence - $85 [1 year, after that period you cannot have your vBulletin board on the internet unless you pay another $85]
              -Owned licence - $160[your forever and ever, you can have it publically presented on the internet till after you die, lol].

Being in australia you will have to work out the conversion, and unfortunatly it is more expensive. As a guide I usually add another quarter to the original cost.

So:
              Leased: $106
              Owned: $200
              - Use as a rough guide for Australian Purchases only.

I was using invisionFree for a couple of months before I moved to vBulletin. Invision did the job, but it's just those little 'features' in vBulletin that you get used to, and invision just never seems good enough. The money I put into vBulletin to get my owned licence is something I don't regret. The support is great, and the updates never stop coming...

If it's possible, present, or parents, I would highly recommend the vBulletin software. However I also understand your situation...

If vBulletin isn't a financial option, then I hope you find suitable forum software.

Kurt

Comment

• kurtbarker
                • Nov 2005
                • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Creepshow
                Currency shouldn't be a problem if you use PayPal or something similar.
                Paypal still works out the conversion rate... A rough guide to Australian prices is in my post above...

Comment

• Creepshow
                  • May 2005
                  • 3.5.x

Originally posted by kurtbarker
                  Paypal still works out the conversion rate... A rough guide to Australian prices is in my post above...
                  I never said it didn't. I was simply stating the fact that when using PayPal currency is really not an issue.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                    • Jun 2002

FYI, Jelsoft is a UK based company, not a U.S. based company.
                    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• kurtbarker
                      • Nov 2005
                      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                      FYI, Jelsoft is a UK based company, not a U.S. based company.
                      Well look at that, the things you learn, lol

Comment

• ~Volvagia~
                        • Jul 2006

Heh. What excatly is Pay Pal anyway? I've heard of it, but don't actually know what it is.

Comment

• Creepshow
                          • May 2005
                          • 3.5.x

Heh. What excatly is Pay Pal anyway? I've heard of it, but don't actually know what it is.
                          See www.paypal.com

Comment

• ~Volvagia~
                            • Jul 2006

Thanks. I'll go take a look now.

Comment

• wii
                              • Sep 2000
                              • 3.8.x

Why donĀ“t just use a nice free forum code, like http://www.simplemachines.org/ - when you have build a good community and saved some money, you can move everything over to a vBulletin.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...