X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kingnoob
    • Dec 2005

2 licenses = 2 downloads ?

I've just purchased a second owned license, and there are now two seperate download links in the members area.

Do I have to download another copy for the second license? I was hoping I could just work from one version of the source, and not keep track of two downloads of the same version.

hope my question is clear enough, thanks..
  • RichM
    • Jan 2003
    • 4.0.x

Originally posted by kingnoob
    I've just purchased a second owned license, and there are now two seperate download links in the members area.

Do I have to download another copy for the second license? I was hoping I could just work from one version of the source, and not keep track of two downloads of the same version.

Providing you have a license and enter in the correct URL, there should be no problem in this particular case as far as I'm aware.

Comment

• TheMusicMan
      • Oct 2002
      • 3.7.x

I would always use two downloads if I had purchased twice. It only takes a few minutes to download yeah, and you are then are 100% not out of compliance with your vB license agreement. Sure, as Rich says, as long as you have kept your details and URL up to date in your vB Customer area you shoudd be fine - but there really is no harm in doing it correctly eh!
      John

Comment

• kingnoob
        • Dec 2005

Thanks for the info. Working from two copies of the original source willcomplicate my development procedure a little bit, which is why I'm hoping for a more unified solution.

Comment

• Fusion
          • Aug 2001
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by kingnoob

Actually, as far as I know, owning two licenses means you need to download and use the correct source with the corresponding site. Each copy is branded and cannot be interchanged between sites. Doing so would violate the license agreement.
          Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Cromulent
            • Oct 2005
            • 3.8.x

There is a different license number for each copy, and this is shown in each of the files. I think that your license number must match the URL provided in your members area.

Comment

• Colin F
              • May 2004

As long as you enter the URLs you are running vBulletin on in the members area you can also use the same set of files for both instances.
              Best Regards
              Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• Fusion
                • Aug 2001
                • 3.8.x

Sorry?
                Then why list two separate copies, with separate license numbers, for download?
                Why not simply use one license number but allow 2 or n instances of the same, which is, in essence, what you are saying, Colin.

From the license agreement:
                vBulletin licence grants you the right to run one instance (a single installation) of the Software on one web server and one web site for each licence purchased. Each licence may power one instance of the Software on one domain. For each installed instance of the Software, a separate licence is required.
                and

From time to time, Jelsoft may inspect your registration integrity. This will be done without collecting any information whatsoever about your server or your users. The only information verified will be your licence number and the domain on which the software is run. Should Jelsoft discover discrepancies in the software usage, be aware that you may lose your licence and may face legal actions for Software Piracy.
                Clearly, this does not conform with your statement.
                Last edited by Fusion; Sun 2 Jul '06, 5:33am. Reason: Added quotes from the license agreement.
                Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Colin F
                  • May 2004

The idea is that each instance uses it's own files, but to not complicate things for our customers we don't enforce that.
                  Best Regards
                  Colin Frei

Comment

• Fusion
                    • Aug 2001
                    • 3.8.x

You'd rather complicate things for the anti-piracy guys? ¨
                    Asking customers, one and all, to actually abide by the license agreement isn't complicating things, it's the least you'd expect.
                    Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Colin F
                      • May 2004

Thanks for your concern, but you don't really know how our anti-piracy and license system is set up, so you can't really judge if this is a complication or not
                      Best Regards
                      Colin Frei

Comment

• steven s
                        • Jul 2004
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Colin F
                        As long as you enter the URLs you are running vBulletin on in the members area you can also use the same set of files for both instances.
                        This is contrary to what I have been told before by a Jelsoft member.
                        vBulletin licence grants you the right to run one instance (a single installation) of the Software on one web server and one web site for each licence purchased. Each licence may power one instance of the Software on one domain. For each installed instance of the Software, a separate licence is required. Modifications to the software or database to circumvent the one-license-one-board rule are prohibited.
                        Using the same installation is against the license agreement.

Whether it is enforced is obviously up to Jelsoft.
                        ...steven
                        www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                        bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                        "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• Fusion
                          • Aug 2001
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Colin F
                          Thanks for your concern, but you don't really know how our anti-piracy and license system is set up, so you can't really judge if this is a complication or not
                          Quite true, I don't.
                          I was pointing out the discrepancies between your statement and the license agreement, and while you're free not to enforce it, I must say I find it worrying that you indicate that you enforce it to a varying degree depending on the customer.
                          Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Colin F
                            • May 2004

I've pointed this thread out to Steve and asked him to comment on this.
                            Best Regards
                            Colin Frei

Comment

• feldon23
                              • Nov 2001
                              • 3.7.x

Is it in Jelsoft's best interest to complicate things for vBulletin users?

What is physically different between two copies of vBulletin? The license number in the header of each file?

This will become even less important if Jelsoft ever releases a version of vBulletin that can share users amongst multiple installations.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...