X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bratz-Designs
    • Jul 2005

'Copyright'

Hey all,

First off...sorry i couldnt find the right section to post this is so i picked this one. I am really sorry if its wrong.

The question is:
    Can i remove the version # from the forumhome? So the copyright text looks like:

Powered by vBulletin
    Copyright ©2000 - 2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

-------------

The reason i would like to do this is to secure it a bit more from hackers

Bratzer
  • Cromulent
    • Oct 2005
    • 3.8.x

Yes you can remove the version number, but thats it.

Comment

• Alteran Ancient
      • May 2005
      • 3.8.x

Why would you want to? It's not gonna stop hackers. If anything, it's gonna make them want to try and hack you even harder.
      1. Because they know you're afraid of being hacked from removing the Version number

2. They may as well try and hack you anyway, regardless of what version you're running.

It really leaves a false sense of security, so I don't know why you want to do it.
      -- David.

If I spend much more time browsing these forums, I could be subjected to: 1. Burnt retinas, 2. Angry customers, 3. Lack of moderation, 4. Arguments.
      This used to be a nice place; what the hell's gone wrong?

Comment

• TheMusicMan
        • Oct 2002
        • 3.7.x

AA: he doesn't need your permisison to have whatever message he is entitled to show on his site. Does it matter to you why he wants to? No, of course not, then why challenge him if he wants to do this... it is his site just as yours is yours.
        John

Comment

• Alteran Ancient
          • May 2005
          • 3.8.x

He doesn't Need my permission. I'm just saying that it might just be giving an unsent invitation to Hackers. I'm not challenging him, I was just using a rhetorical question for impact. Don't tell me off, as it upsets me. I'm Not B-Ds mentor. I'm just suggesting the risks that go with editing the version number, as did Steve Machol, who said it leaves a false sense of security. I think it was him, but one of the Staff definitely said it, so would you just stop sassing me? Lastly, it's not a message, it's a version number. Anyone can do what they want, as long as they don't remove the copyright notice.
          -- David.

If I spend much more time browsing these forums, I could be subjected to: 1. Burnt retinas, 2. Angry customers, 3. Lack of moderation, 4. Arguments.
          This used to be a nice place; what the hell's gone wrong?

Comment

• Cromulent
            • Oct 2005
            • 3.8.x

The point is if you remove the version number you also remove a (very small) security risk that someone will visit your forum and see that you are running an out of date version and then decide on the off chance to hack you.

It still requires you to keep up to date, but makes it that little bit harder to find what version you are running. Whether or not it makes much of a difference is not really the point. Why have a sign on your front door saying your out for the day when you could just leave the house without anything on it at all.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
              • Jun 2002

Having a version number is not a security risk.
              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• TheMusicMan
                • Oct 2002
                • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Alteran Ancient
                He doesn't Need my permission. I'm just saying that it might just be giving an unsent invitation to Hackers. I'm not challenging him, I was just using a rhetorical question for impact. Don't tell me off, as it upsets me. I'm Not B-Ds mentor. I'm just suggesting the risks that go with editing the version number, as did Steve Machol, who said it leaves a false sense of security. I think it was him, but one of the Staff definitely said it, so would you just stop sassing me? Lastly, it's not a message, it's a version number. Anyone can do what they want, as long as they don't remove the copyright notice.
                Hi AA... I am sorry if I upset you - I quite honestly had no intention of doing that, please accept my sincere apologies.
                John

Comment

• Allan
                  • Feb 2005
                  • 3.8.x

Administrator vBulletin-Ressources.com,
                  French vBulletin Resources.

Comment

• Joe Page
                    • Sep 2002

It's personal preference really as well as security, why not remove it?

Comment

• Gomjaba
                      • Jan 2005
                      • 3.5.x

When people wants to hack the forum, they do it either way.

Also, when people don't change the admincp URL you get the version anyway :
                      Attached Files
                      I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol like some thinkle peep I am!

Comment

• Blue-inc
                        • Mar 2006
                        • 4.0.x

I think the point he is trying to get over is that either way if the copyright is removed you're still going to get hacked. But who says your going to get hacked in the first place.
                        Armored Vehicles . My Blog . Obama 2012 .

Comment

• Cromulent
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by utw-mephisto
                          When people wants to hack the forum, they do it either way.

Also, when people don't change the admincp URL you get the version anyway :
                          Have an .htaccess file password protect the AdminCP and ModCP. That sorts that problem out.

Originally posted by Blue-inc
                          I think the point he is trying to get over is that either way if the copyright is removed you're still going to get hacked. But who says your going to get hacked in the first place.
                          Its just a small thing that makes it that much harder to do. As I said before, why leave a sign on your door advertising the fact. When you can just hide it away, or at least make it that much harder to find out.

I guess it is down to personal preference though.

Comment

• Zachery
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Jul 2002

Removign the version number and possibly re-arranging the copyright can make it look much more clean. Nothing wrong with that.

Comment

• Quillz
                              • Nov 2004
                              • 5.0.X

Originally posted by Zachery
                              Removign the version number and possibly re-arranging the copyright can make it look much more clean. Nothing wrong with that.
                              I agree. I have edited the copyright so it's all on one line.
                              Forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...