Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stubbsie
    • Apr 2006

Transferring a forum to vbulliten?

I am no computer wiz by any means, so Im saying this at the risk of sounding like an idiot.

I own a forum at the domain of www.nrlrant.com the forum is hosted by www.jconserv.net (a free forum hoster). The forum has grown a great deal over teh past year and I am contemplating purshing the a vbulliten forum.

What I am not sure of is that if I do purchase the vbulliten forum is there anyway of transferring the content (posts, threads, members etc) of my current forum to teh new vbulliten format?

Thanks in advance.
  • Boxy
    • Oct 2002

Yes, we have an importer tool called ImpEx that will migrate the data from your existing phpBB board to vBulletin.

You can find out more about ImpEx in the online manual, http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex

Comment

• feldon23
      • Nov 2001
      • 3.7.x

I read over at http://www.jconserv.net/ and I don't see anything indicating that they will give you a copy of your phpBB forum data. Unless you can get the data from them, you are stuck.

I'm still digging around on their support forum but JConServ.net is excruciatingly slow for me.

For a while, you could get data from JConServ free forum by Paypaling $10 to them. But now it looks like that feature is gone. Now if you were willing to get your website hosted at HostGator.com, apparently they will do a one-time transfer of your forum data over there.

Free forums (EZBoard, Yuku, ProBoards, etc.) suck because they typically refuse to give you the data even if you offer to pay them so you have to kiss years of work goodbye to switch to professional forum software.
      Last edited by feldon23; Fri 7 Apr '06, 9:27am.

Comment

• Stubbsie
        • Apr 2006

WEell im looking into buying the forum off jconserv and if that all works I will get Vbulliten. Thats only if its guranteed that I can transfer the forum.

Comment

• harishankar
          • Dec 2005

Yeah, that's one of the problems with free hosts. You don't have control over content.

Isn't there any way you can get a backup out of your admin panel? I'm sure phpBB has a database backup option.

Comment

• Stubbsie
            • Apr 2006

I con only backup if purchase something they call some admin acess thing. Does that mean if I can backup the database I will be able to transfer the content to Vbullitin?

Comment

• nVaux
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Stubbsie
              I con only backup if purchase something they call some admin acess thing. Does that mean if I can backup the database I will be able to transfer the content to Vbullitin?
              yes, if you can get a backup of your forum, you are very likely to transfer it over.
              http://www.bitmonkeys.com - Visit us

- nVaux

Comment

• Stubbsie
                • Apr 2006

Ok awsome. Ill get it done as soon as possible.

Comment

• Stubbsie
                  • Apr 2006

Would I be able to transfer my forum to Cbulliten if I purchased this from Jconserv.

Comment

• matiasdavyt2
                    • Nov 2006
                    • 3.6.x

And is there any way in which the names of the tables in the database and the name in the columns in the tables stay like they are?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      Former Customer Support Manager
                      • Jul 2000

No, because vB has it's own table and column names.
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...