Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Santana™
    • Mar 2006

What do I need to know/get to run a VB?

I really new to V-Bulletin forums and I don't know what to do.I heard something about mySQL but I don't know what that is.Could someone help me find out what I need to learn so I can make a good VB forum?
  • Champster
    • Feb 2006

I was informed that you do not need to know mysql to operate vbulletin.

A good place to start would be the vb manual on the main page. Its under documentation under support services.

Comment

• Creepshow
      • May 2005
      • 3.5.x

You may not need to know MySQL to administrate vB itself, but you certainly need to know when running a serious forum. What happens when a database error occurs and you need to fix it? You will need to know MySQL one way or the other.
      "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

• Rob B
        • Dec 2005
        • 3.6.x

Well, I am looking into vB but don't have a clue about MySQL. I know how to set up and back up a database but thats it. If i got a database error I would probably come here and ask, and I would pick it up as I go along. Which is what most people do I am sure.

Comment

• feldon23
          • Nov 2001
          • 3.7.x

I disagree with Creepshow. You do not need to know MySQL to run a vBulletin forum.

Comment

• Creepshow
            • May 2005
            • 3.5.x

Originally posted by feldon23
            I disagree with Creepshow. You do not need to know MySQL to run a vBulletin forum.

I'm afraid you do. What happens when things go wrong? It is essential to know MySQL to keep your forum healthy.

Again:

Originally posted by Creepshow
            You may not need to know MySQL to administrate vB itself, but you certainly need to know when running a serious forum.
            "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

• roosevelt
              • Jul 2004
              • 5.0.X

Forget MySQL Query languages, at least you'll need to know how mysql works. How the datas are stored in the database. In addition you might need to know how to use the phpmyadmin interface since its way easier than mysql command window.

You basically do not need to know MySQL's core but it would be helpful if you know how mysql works, know to make frequent backups and have knowledge about the World Wide Web and how websites works.
              Out to Change the world!

Comment

• nVaux
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Creepshow
                I'm afraid you do. What happens when things go wrong? It is essential to know MySQL to keep your forum healthy.

Again:
                I disagree, this forums are designed to work without programming and mysql knowledge. If you know that stuff its a big plus but not necessary.

If something goes wrong, there's always technical support which you get when you buy a vb license.
                http://www.bitmonkeys.com - Visit us

- nVaux

Comment

• Zachery
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Jul 2002

You do not need much, if any technaical knowleged to run vBulletin. Needing to know html, css, php, mysql are not nessary, but anything you do know won't hurt.

It is more than possible, to run, and setup a vBulletin forum without knowing any mysql or php.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...