X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Forum Dude
    • Feb 2006
    • 5.5.x

vbulletin: Run an Invision

Some qestions I had, to see if I should convert..

1. Are old version still able to be used?
    2. Are any versions currently free, but are more powerful than an InvisionFree board that's current?
    3. On the Admin Demos, you can't acess SQL query, and something right below it. Why is that, and what do they do?
    4. What are the codes for the vbulletin site/forum? I'm trying to start a personal web page/forum type thing.
    5. Finally, to host a domain (EX.
    Code:
    [URL="http://www.elaugh.com"]www.elaugh.com[/URL]
    ) you need to purchase it? And I mean a domain, totally up to you. And can you do this with vbulletin?

I'm new to vbulletin-like running one-but I am a member of a vb forum and wanted to find these out.
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

Hello,

1- When you buy a license you currently still get access to download the latest version 2.x, 3.0.x and 3.5.x

2- No, we have no discounted or free versions. The only discount I can offer you is if you purchase multiple licenses at the same time. Our script costs money because it is written by professional developers for professional web site owners. That's what makes it so powerful.

3- This is done to prevent hackers to try and abuse the system. When you are the owner of your own license you will have full access to all the features and options of the software.

4- What codes are you referring to? vBulletin is written in PHP - www.php.net and stores the data in a MySQL database - www.mysql.com

5- Yes, we only offer the bulletin board system software we call vBulletin. We currently do not offer domain name registration or hosting solution services. You can use any domain you want with vBulletin license. You can also change it at any point. Upon purchase a domain name is not required. No, you can not register a domain with vBulletin.

Welcome to the vB community and using the admin demo and our pre-sales forum should give you a pretty good impression how it will work on your own web site. Adding a community to your personal web site is a great way for your visitors to give you feedback and to communicate with you. vBulletin is the solution you're looking for if you want your own forum.

Comment

• Forum Dude
      • Feb 2006
      • 5.5.x

Originally posted by Floris
      4- What codes are you referring to? vBulletin is written in PHP - www.php.net and stores the data in a MySQL database - www.mysql.com
      Yeah, I guess that helps. Thanks, And one more question. I was thinking on creating a forum, as powerful as possible, but for personal use. I was partly hoping to use vBulletin as a beginning start, Since I have minimal experience in web making. But I would only be able to do that, legally, by getting a License? I'm, well young compared to others here, and liek broke. But getting a license would be the only way?

Comment

• KingSpade
        • Aug 2005
        • 3.5.x

You will only be able to use the software once it is purchased, it is not offered free of charge to anyone or at a discounted rate to anyone beyond those that purchase multiple licenses (this includes viewing the source of the software, or otherwise editing it).

If you wish to use the software, you will need to process your order like the rest of us .

Comment

• Forum Dude
          • Feb 2006
          • 5.5.x

Yeah, I kind-of figured. And a few final questions, before I make up my mind. Getting it from someone else is illegal, correct? And, is there like a list of servers that have never been used? And, one license equals one board, so if you buy one license you may only have one board?

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

1. The only legal way to get vBulletin is to purchase it directly from us, or have a legal license transferred to you by the legitimate owner.

2. Each license is good for one installation of vBulletin, i.e., one set of vB files on one domain with one set of vB database tables. As per the license agreement:

"vBulletin license grants you the right to run one instance (a single installation) of the Software on one web server and one web site for each license purchased. Each license may power one instance of the Software on one domain. For each installed instance of the Software, a separate license is required. Modifications to the software or database to circumvent the one-license-one-board rule are prohibited."

You can view the license agreement here:

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Forum Dude
              • Feb 2006
              • 5.5.x

Thanks for the link. And finally, hopeing that this will be answered, Copying, editing, running the software is against the law, unless the edits are completely re-done?

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                • Jun 2002

What exactly do you mean by "Cutting, editing, running the software"?
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Forum Dude
                  • Feb 2006
                  • 5.5.x

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                  What exactly do you mean by "Cutting, editing, running the software"?
                  1. Coping-not cutting

2. I mean like..
                  -Copy the php
                  -Edit it for your own ideas for your forum
                  -Using it afterwards

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                    • Jun 2002

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that you just because you buy a vBulletin license, the license does not grant you exclusive rights to use the code for another platform other than vBulletin here.

I might be wrong.
                    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      Former Customer Support Manager
                      • Jul 2000

You cannot use vB code - modified or not - in other applications.
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Sovereign
                        • Jun 2004
                        • 3.7.x

You could modify vB and build another app on top of it (vBAdvanced CMPS is an example. www.vbadvanced.com) Note the other app was built ON TOP of vB, not vB being twisted into something else. And with plugins it's easier than ever to make vB totally the way you want it.

Comment

• whitetigergrowl
                          • Jun 2004
                          • 5.1.x

Man did I misunderstand the title to this thread..lol

Comment

• Floris
                            • Dec 2001

As a licensed owner you are free to edit the source code to your needs of your running instance. But you can't rebrand the software or rewrite it and sell it as if it is your own.

Comment

• Forum Dude
                              • Feb 2006
                              • 5.5.x

Yeah, ok. Wondering on that thought. And one more final question. WHat codes are used on the baords? I mean likea code to allow someone to post, a smily code, etc. NOt the actual writing, but how many and what types? I know there's the welcome code, but like what others?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...