X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raydar
    • Oct 2005

Branding Fee?

Hi People

I just went to purchase a copy of Vbulletin and when I continued to the next page it offered an option for sale saying that the Vbulletin logos could be removed for an extra fee?

So does that mean I can't remove the Vbulletin logo like the one up the top of this page unless I pay for it to be removed?

Regards

Reg
  • ManagerJosh
    • Jun 2002

No you can change that without purchasing branding free. The branding free option allows you to remove the copyright in the footer.

It's the "Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.0, Copyright ©2000 - 2005, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. " part

If you opted not to purchase it, you gotta have that copyright
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Raydar
      • Oct 2005

Thanks for the speedy reply Josh.

Why do people not want the Vbulletin thing at the bottom? Its only two lines of text right? I'm surprised people pay so much for it to be removed.

Anyway don't even answer that if you don't want to, I'm just thinking out loud.

Cheers

Reg

Comment

• ManagerJosh
        • Jun 2002

I really have no idea why some people do pay for it. Honestly, I like showing off that I'm a vBulletin owner
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Colin F
          • May 2004

People have different reasons for removing it.
          If you run a corporate website, you might not really want to display it. Or if you just want to remove it so that the page is a tiny bit less cluttered.
          Best Regards
          Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• cbiweb
            • Apr 2004
            • 4.1.x

What about having it in the tiniest font size possible, just a few shades darker than white so it is barely visible, with no extra padding or white space above and below it, and place it at the very end of the footer template so it's the very last thing on the page?
            ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

• Colin F
              • May 2004

cbiweb,

It's against the License Agreement to make the copyright text 'barely visible'. While it doesn't have to stand out, it does have to be normaly visible and readable.
              Best Regards
              Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• feldon23
                • Nov 2001
                • 3.7.x

Branding Fee doesn't say anything about logos.
                This allows you to remove all vBulletin/Jelsoft branding from this vBulletin Forum installation.
                This is kind of confusing since 'all vBulletin/Jelsoft branding' is one line of text.

Comment

• cbiweb
                  • Apr 2004
                  • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Colin F
                  cbiweb,

It's against the License Agreement to make the copyright text 'barely visible'. While it doesn't have to stand out, it does have to be normaly visible and readable.
                  I wasn't being serious.
                  ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
                    • May 2003
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                    I really have no idea why some people do pay for it. Honestly, I like showing off that I'm a vBulletin owner

Wish it would distinguish leasers and owners (if the footer text has got to be there, might as well advertize if an owner holds a permanent or leased license as well).

Chris
                    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
                    is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
                    ~~~
                    Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• Removed-1078464
                      • Oct 2004
                      • 3.6.x

If a branding free license is purchased do they give you instructions after the purchase as to how to remove all this stuff?

Also I noticed that when you do a "view source" it shows Vbulletin all over the place. Is there anyway to get it to hide vbulletin from the view source?

Thanks

Doug

Comment

• Marco van Herwaarden
                        • Nov 2004
                        • 3.8.x

You could start by removing the meta keywords, or replacing them by your own.
                        Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
                        Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

• Removed-1078464
                          • Oct 2004
                          • 3.6.x

Heck I removed all the meta keywords in the admin cp along time ago.

I think this is just a little more technical then that if you ask me.

Doug

Comment

• adrianchew
                            • Feb 2001

FWIW - I've used vbulletin as a keyword in Google searches simply to locate a forum about a particular subject I'm interested in... I mean, why not search for a forum that runs the best of breed forum software?

Removing the metawords/branding really helps you get less people to your forum IMO.
                            vB 3.6.4 (No hacks), RedHat Enterprise 3 (+hotfixes), Lighttpd 1.4.13, PHP 5.2.1 (FastCGI, gzip), MySQL 4.1.21, P4 2.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB IDE disk

Comment

• Removed-1078464
                              • Oct 2004
                              • 3.6.x

NOT removing the meta tag information might be a good idea for "most" forums, but our forums are "restricted" and we dont want just anyone popping in and joining our site.

We only let in people who are legit and not just curious as to what we are about.

I am SERIOUSLY considering purchasing the branding free license but if i cant remove ALL traces of Vbulletin from the site for the $120.00 that im paying then I am not interested in forking out the extra money.

Is there a way to remove Vbulletin from the "view source"?

Thanks

Doug

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...