Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cbiweb
    • Apr 2004
    • 4.1.x

A robots.txt file is the best way to keep people out.
    ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

• Removed-1078464
      • Oct 2004
      • 3.6.x

Thanks for the tip on the robots file info.

But honestly my main concern right now is not meta tags and such, but how to get the Vbulletin stuff NOT to show up in the "view source".

Does anyone know?

Thanks

Doug

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

There are no instructions to do this, nor is the branding free option designed to remove every instance vBulletin in the files and the view source. I'm afraid doing this will require a whole lot of editing.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
          • Jun 2002

if privacy is a huge concern, you may also consider running your forum via SSL.
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Removed-1078464
            • Oct 2004
            • 3.6.x

Steve,

Your just the person I wanted to hear from.

Thanks for replying.

So a lot of work then, huh?

What would you suggest looking at doing for starters?

Where would I find this Meta Name Generator at in Vbulletin so that maybe I could look for some settings or text to remove?

I dont care about seeing any of the other code except for the places it shows Vbulletin, especially the Vbulletin version number.

Here is some text from view source...

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
            <html dir="ltr" lang="en">
            <head>
            <!-- no cache headers -->
            <meta http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache" />
            <meta http-equiv="Expires" content="-1" />
            <meta http-equiv="Cache-Control" content="no-cache" />
            <!-- end no cache headers -->
            <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" />
            <meta name="generator" content="vBulletin 3.5.1" />

<meta name="keywords" content="" />
            <meta name="description" content="" />

<!-- CSS Stylesheet -->
            <style type="text/css" id="vbulletin_css">
            <!--
            /* vBulletin 3 CSS For Style 'Default Style' (styleid: 1) */
            body
            {
            background: #E1E1E2;
            color: #000000;
            font: 10pt verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
            margin: 5px 10px 10px 10px;
            padding: 0px;
            }

Comment

• Removed-1078464
              • Oct 2004
              • 3.6.x

if privacy is a huge concern, you may also consider running your forum via SSL.
              What benifit would I gain from SSL other than encryption?

I dont understand the advantage of that.

I basically just dont want anyone knowing what I am using for bulletin board software and am trying to cover up anyway of them figuring it out. Nothing more nothing less.

Thanks

Doug

Comment

• Steve Machol
                Former Customer Support Manager
                • Jul 2000

You will need to look in every file and every template. As I said it's a lot of work, and frankly I doubt it would be worth it.

For instance, changing 'vbulletin_css' alone would mean extensive editing of the vB scripts and significantly complicate upgrading.

Since this involves hacking, you might want to try asking over at vbulletin.org.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Removed-1078464
                  • Oct 2004
                  • 3.6.x

Im not really interested in extensive hacking, like you said it makes upgrading too complicated.

I think I will set this one out.

Thanks for the info though Steve.

Doug

Comment

• roosevelt
                    • Jul 2004
                    • 5.0.X

I was planning to buy the branding fee option too in future. Steve I think you should alert the vbulletin core deveopers to develop a version which might completely erase vbulletin's visible codes or replace it with the codes we want it to show as. Say if I go to view source and see vbulletina_css. So, may be when we apply the branding fee option, from the control panel we can rename the vbulletin_ to anythingwewant_. Just a idea to make the software better.... . You know some scripts allow us to have custom prefix like IPB. So same might got for vbulletin's visible vbulletin texts.
                    Out to Change the world!

Comment

• Removed-1078464
                      • Oct 2004
                      • 3.6.x

Thats a great idea!

Or something where you get an "activation code" from Vbulletin and you enter that code somewhere in the admin cp as legit verification and when you do that it changes your board into a branding free mode which adjusts and removes ALL signs of it being Vbulletin including in the view source areas.

Which all this would put a stop to the hacking of files and removing the copyright code manually, plus im sure it would be a way for Vbulletin to rest ashured they get their money from everyone who removes the copyrights from their program.

What do ya say Steve? Agree with us on this idea? If so PLEASE pass this idea on to the developers/coders.

Thanks

Doug

Comment

• cbiweb
                        • Apr 2004
                        • 4.1.x

Just out of pure curiosity, why would someone want to completely erase all traces of any mention of vBulletin? I'm not making any accusations here, but the only reasons I can think of is for something underhanded or illegal. What legal reason would make it worth the time and effort?
                        ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

• Floris
                          • Dec 2001

Fortune 500 companies prefer to have only their own copyright on their web sites.

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
                            • May 2003
                            • 3.6.x

With the branding free option, the instances of vBulletin in the "view source" can be removed -- like the meta tags and footer.

What can't be removed is the vBulletin names in the php/js files. But no one sees those but you (or your administration staff), so that isn't a concern.

The branding free option is best suited for those who'll customize their forum to not look like another too -- as just removing the name doesn't remove the look and feel of a forumware (folks will know it's vB by it's layout and functions, for example). It's a nice option if you're a designer or own a shop and don't like any instances of any other businesses on your site too (<-- good in keeping track of your site SEO without any outside influence).

Chris
                            "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
                            is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
                            ~~~
                            Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• feldon23
                              • Nov 2001
                              • 3.7.x

Realize that you are allowed to remove every trace of vBulletin (except the Copyright notice at the bottom) without paying the branding free fee.

Comment

• Removed-1078464
                                • Oct 2004
                                • 3.6.x

With the branding free option, the instances of vBulletin in the "view source" can be removed -- like the meta tags and footer.
                                Can this be done a simple way or do i have to edit every file in Vbulletin like Steve had mentioned?

Doug

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...