X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • silly rabbit
    • Oct 2005
    • 3.8.x

"midphase.com"s basic package . .

Ok, being new as a potential VBulletin Admin and reading here as much as I could (before posting a redundant question) I've settled on midphase as my 'hosting company'.

Seems like a very good deal with good reviews - anybody care to comment on my 2'nd most important choice (VBulletin being the 1'st)?? Anyone with personal experience with midphase.

I plan on running a private, employee based board that will primarilly be 'text messaging' with little or no attachments/downloading involved.

My Company Employee Count -> 80,000 plus . . .
    Last edited by silly rabbit; Wed 12 Oct '05, 2:47pm.
  • silly rabbit
    • Oct 2005
    • 3.8.x

by way of an 'up'

Also, I am concerned about privacy/security not so much from the vbulletin software point of view cause I understand VB security is GOOD but from a 'hosting' point of view. Before I decide on a host & domain(the name i want is avail) can anyone offer tips/current hosting features avail/ a simple 'point of view'??

Be It Known I Am Absolutely Not Planning On Doing Anything Illegal Whatsoever - my board will be dedicated/directed towards the employees of a particular company(mine) but I most certainly DO NOT want anybody from my company being able to determine who is indeed running the domain nor the identity of any of the employees who are using/posting on the domain.

I already have a 'front man' - my father - who has nothing to do with my CO but is there any other considerations/things I should perhaps do??

In Effect, I Will Be The Admin Only . . .

Thx In Advance!!

Comment

• svp1
      • Feb 2004
      • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 4

I saw Midphase in the title of your post and had to chime in. Trying their service was the worst experience in my ten years of dealing with hosting companies.

One piece of software they advertised wasn't available after I opened the account and after it took too long for them to make it available I decided to cancel the account as per their 14 day money-back guarantee. They NEVER honored it after many emails and several phone calls, making up excuses like "you are on a waiting list" and "our office is being moved".

Then, a year after the account was cancelled they actually charged my card again (even though they didn't have the current expiration date).

Read their contracts very carefully. THEY own your domain if you register it through them and they've written in that they can charge you all kinds of fees if you try to chargeback your initial fees (which you would have to do because they will not honor refunds).

I considered sueing them but did not want to expend any more time and effort then I already had.
      Last edited by svp1; Tue 11 Oct '05, 2:44pm.

Comment

• silly rabbit
        • Oct 2005
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by svp1
        I saw Midphase in the title of your post and had to chime in. . . . .
        Thx svp1 for the input - I have decided against midphase not so much because of your observations but rather I discovered why their domains are 'free'. While it seemed on the surface that they would fulfill my 'privacy concerns' very well They do retain legal registered status for themselves so if I ever had a falling out of any sort like the one that you described I have in effect lost my domain name if they decide to 'sit on it'!!

I see asmallorange has got many good reviews here and believe it or not I actually stumbled onto them on my own and decided to use them if for no other reason they are local to me in ATL.

Can anybody explain to me(in a nutshell) how GoDaddy's 'privately registered' proxy domain service works?? Will I and my address/phone info remain entirely private from prying, public view or should I indeed use somebody's else's name in my place(ie:my fathers) to ENSURE autonomity?? I'm sure a simple 'accusation' of legal wrongdoing by anyone involved(true or not) would be enough to give my registered name/address UP and I want to avoid that at all costs!!

If I buy a domain from GoDaddy I do not have to 'transfer' it do I"??? I understand it is only a DNS 'redirect' to the asmallorange servers???
        Last edited by silly rabbit; Wed 12 Oct '05, 3:12pm.

Comment

• tinjon
          • May 2005

silly rabit, my friend has privately registered through godaddy and it works! when people search for the domain, they see generic information, so his info remains hidden.

as for hosting, DO check out http://surpasshosting.com

(the OC plans) http://www.surpasshosting.com/ocplans.php

very good service. the best of all i've used in 5 years.

Comment

• feldon23
            • Nov 2001
            • 3.7.x

Godaddy registration might be ok, their hosting is not.

Is it really worth saving $20 to gamble with your domain name?

Comment

• ILTK
              • Aug 2005
              • 3.7.x

Before you use godaddy, do a google for:

godaddy, link trade

Comment

• Above Top Secret
                • Jul 2005
                • 3.5.x

If you are looking for a good host, at a good value, then I suggest you take a look at either Vizaweb.com or DreamHost.com (Notice: I have been a customer of dreamhost for a year now (Unless you count back in 98, when I hosted with them for 6 months), and they sent me a $40 gift certificate! (Which was not expected at all.) I have two dreamhost accounts and 1 Vizaweb account, both are top notch in my opinion- though I would have to place dreamhost as being the top at customer service. Oh, and I forgot, I also have hosted a site/forum at HostGator.com and they have good customer service. .
                Last edited by Above Top Secret; Thu 13 Oct '05, 11:48am.

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                  • Sep 2001

Remember if any registrar or hosting is served a supena (sp?) they will give over any relevent info they have. So even if your name is hidden from people doing a 'whois', its still in a database somewhere along with your credit card # for payments, etc.
                  Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• xmitchx
                    • May 2004
                    • 3.8.x

DreamHost.com I have never been happier. Amazing packages at a very low price.

Comment

• adguru
                      • Jul 2004

Site5.com
                      =)

Comment

• silly rabbit
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
                        Remember if any registrar or hosting is served a supena (sp?) they will give over any relevent info they have.
                        Shinra, thx for your previous post - I think I was confusing my Megs & Gigs hehe. I understand the 'supena' part which is why NOTHING, including billing, is in my name. As for administrative/technical contact/mail forwarding I assume 'admin'@'mydomain.com' will work ok - jeeze, you'd think I was planning on doing something ILLEGAL!!

As far as Vb is concerned a security question -I am planning on running a private, employee based forum and will devise some method of actually verifying that the members indeed do work for the company that I also work for. Does Vb have a way to 'screen/filter' connecting IPs?? Meaning if I didn't want anybody actually connecting to my board FROM A WORK SITE(which is monitored) is there a way built in that will allow me to do just that??

Thx for all the recommendations as to other 'host' sites - am not in a hurry right now so will definately look into all.

Rabbit
                        Last edited by silly rabbit; Fri 14 Oct '05, 5:49am.

Comment

• feldon23
                          • Nov 2001
                          • 3.7.x

subpoenas... As bad as they sound.

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                            • Sep 2001

Does Vb have a way to 'screen/filter' connecting IPs?? Meaning if I didn't want anybody actually connecting to my board FROM A WORK SITE(which is monitored) is there a way built in that will allow me to do just that??
                            Yes just add in your IP block to the banned IP address in the admincp.
                            Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Zonex
                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
                              Remember if any registrar or hosting is served a supena (sp?) they will give over any relevent info they have. So even if your name is hidden from people doing a 'whois', its still in a database somewhere along with your credit card # for payments, etc.
                              not quite
                              theres a few that offer full anonymity
                              the only info collected is your email so you can correspond with them

u pay with cash, egold or other untracable methods
                              no logs are kept, a dinky office is set up in a safe haven or sorts to make it truly offshore
                              a shredder is always close by

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...