Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vaga
    • Sep 2005

external authentication

Everybody told good about VB, but I've the problem of an extenal authentication.
    I've allready read the previous articles about the same problem, but no answer satisfy me. I'm a programmer (PHP), so develop new lines is not a problem.

The requirement
    - add a forum to the main site
    - minimum/no modification to forum SW

The goal:
    - disable login form
    - If "my allready authenticated user" reach the forum the first time, a new "forum's user" will automagically created and set authenticated by the forum
    - If "my allready authenticated user" reach the forum the n-th time, will automagically set authenticated by the forum.

The idea
    - create a "simple" PHP on forum web that make all the job, set the cookie and redirect to the VB's "index.php"
    - put a link to ".../simple.php" on main site

The question:
    - is there any API/documentation/library/class to create a new user?
    - is there any API/documentation/library/class to log-in a user (AKA create a new session on DB and send a cookie to the browser)?

TIA
    Vaga
    Last edited by Vaga; Fri 30 Sep '05, 10:49am. Reason: syntax error
  • feldon23
    • Nov 2001
    • 3.7.x

There is nothing simple about synchronizing vBulletin's login/session/cookie system with an existing authentication system.

However if you are willing to write your script and use vBulletin's authentication, it's really very easy.

I believe there are now built-in systems in vB 3.5 which let you create a user.

Comment

• belak
      • Sep 2005
      • 3.5.x

Has anybody found any solution on this issue? vB seem to have an API for creating new users but how do I solve the log-in process? Any ideas about how to write the API/script for this purpouse?

/M

Comment

• Marco van Herwaarden
        • Nov 2004
        • 3.8.x

It is possible to use he plugin system for external authentication.

For asistence on this, please ask at www.vbulletin.org.
        Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
        Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...