X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kafi
    • Apr 2004
    • 3.6.x

Multi country/national forum

I have quite succesfull vbulletin page run only in my country (not english).
    I would like to start new global site with same content but...

How to run one site for multi country/languages? Additionally I expect that most of the topics will differentiate according country although it is the same content (this is because each country has specifics and users will be more comfortable with native language - this is EUROPE .-( not America).

Then I need to have some sort of separate forums with separate things like "New Posts", members searchable by country, national FAQ and so on.
    I want to keep it on one site.

What is your best suggestion or experience? Do you deal with same problem?
    If you can, please post example links .-)
    Thank you!
  • kafi
    • Apr 2004
    • 3.6.x

Nobody has this problem?

Comment

• LloydApter
      • Mar 2009

Yeah, exactly...

Did you ever get an answer?
      Energy, Ecology, Economy Co-operative
      www.eee.coop

Comment

• feldon23
        • Nov 2001
        • 3.7.x

Not sure why this never got answered.

Beyond choosing a language or style in the dropdown menu at the bottom of the forum, and beyond having separate subforums for each language, yes, you will have some issues like New Posts will be a mixture of German, French, etc.

You can modify the New Posts link to only show posts from certain subforums, and you could add some nice links between your forum sections to say "Show all new posts in this forum".

Comment

• LloydApter
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by feldon23
          Not sure why this never got answered.

Beyond choosing a language or style in the dropdown menu at the bottom of the forum, and beyond having separate subforums for each language, yes, you will have some issues like New Posts will be a mixture of German, French, etc.

You can modify the New Posts link to only show posts from certain subforums, and you could add some nice links between your forum sections to say "Show all new posts in this forum".
          I see, so creating a multi-language/country site using VB CMS is not as easy as I'd hoped. The work around you suggested will definitely help but getting to a point where I can use VB CMS to manage a German market section of the site and a separate Italian market section of site - each section with all VB CMS features having content specific for that market is a whole other story...
          Energy, Ecology, Economy Co-operative
          www.eee.coop

Comment

• kmohamed
            • Nov 2007

love is like a war; easy to begin, hard to end, and impossible to forget

Comment

• feldon23
              • Nov 2001
              • 3.7.x

Oh yes, buying multiple licenses of vBulletin and using 3rd party unsupported hacks to link their databases is WAY easier than writing a few template conditionals. O.o

Comment

• paulnicholson
                • Mar 2010

This link is my personal solution to country / state / region selection but does not answer the language question:

Comment

• Alfa1
                  • Dec 2005
                  • 3.8.x

I hope we will see multilingual support for vb4.x at some point. So that articles, forums, blog categories, group categories, etc can be linked to their versions in other languages. For example:
                  Article 1 in English links to Article 1 in German, French and whatever languages you may have.
                  Forum 1 in English links to Forum 1 in German, French and whatever languages you may have.

Some flags would be nice to interlink content in different languages.
                  I buy 420 forums

Comment

• we_are_borg
                    • Aug 2004
                    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Alfa1
                    I hope we will see multilingual support for vb4.x at some point. So that articles, forums, blog categories, group categories, etc can be linked to their versions in other languages. For example:
                    Article 1 in English links to Article 1 in German, French and whatever languages you may have.
                    Forum 1 in English links to Forum 1 in German, French and whatever languages you may have.

I have requested that in the tracker a few days ago for the CMS http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-9604. But you are right it should function like that for all of the software.

Comment

• valerios
                      • Jan 2010
                      • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Alfa1

That is the problem, the cms and blogs.

Have the forum in different language is easy, just create a new forum section that speak only that language, and also, recreate the structure of the main forum inside it and just watch it how to populate!

the real problem are:

1) the cms: if you run the vbulletin cms and you have a lot of article in italian for example, the english users will keep watching that articles without understands.
                      If you start to populate with english language article, the cms Homepage will be a mess...
                      Yes of course you can have section there too, and once int he section the users will see only the english articles, but the front page, and the widgets will be a total mess(maybe you can organize that too.

2) the forum title, meta description, meta keywords...
                      What you would write there?

because google will show you in the search engine index through that words, it will be possibile to show the meta relative to the language that the article will be indexed?
                      Maybe with vbseo,

If we have a solution on this last issue maybe we can run some tests.
                      Last edited by valerios; Fri 29 Apr '11, 8:11pm.
                      VOTE ->Allow to rotate and tag the album pictures
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Official vbulletin Italian Group on vbulletin.com, Join us HERE
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Helping people to settle in Australia:
                      www.australianboard.com
                      The community of the people that dream Australia:
                      www.australianboardcommunity.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...