Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KidneyBoy
    • Jun 2005

Could this *Legally* be possible?

On eBay, there's somebody claiming to sell a package with vBulletin along with hosting and the whole works for 8.99 ( http://cgi.ebay.com/Vbulletin-forum-...QQcmdZViewItem ) (I hope posting the link is okay) otherwise please edit away.

I just don't understand how this could *LEGALLY* be possible. I did notice that the seller is from Israel, so is this an issue of lax piracy laws? In any case I'm next to positive this is a "too good to be true" issue, but I'd like to know the "official" word on this.

Thanks
    KidneyBoy
    (Still waiting for 3.5 all nice and shiny to come out)
  • Hellspire
    • Jun 2005

Nah.. they are most likely using nullified versions, unless this is some multimillionare who bought like 100 different licenses or something like that... (the former is MUCH more probable :coolguy

Comment

• acidburn0520
      • Mar 2005
      • 3.6.x

I think it's legal for a consumer to resell their vB license. Although, I don't know why on Earth someone would resell it for such a low price. So I think, yes... this is "legally" possible. If it is an actual license he's reselling and not a pirated one.

Comment

• Incendium
        • Apr 2004
        • 3.8.x

Heh, look at the forum they 'claim' to host. They don't host them, not even in the same IP range. That and they don't even host their own website. It's a scam if you ask me.

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

It's highly improbable that this is a legal license. We are investigating.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Creepshow
            • May 2005
            • 3.5.x

That has got to be illegal. I mean $8:99?
            "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

• Rob-Morgan
              • Dec 2004

Remember that this bills every month. In the end per year thats $107. With a leased licence, there is still a chance that the seller is making money, although minimal.

Comment

• KidneyBoy
                • Jun 2005

Yeah, but you also have to factor in the server costs, as well as making some sort of profit -- at least to make doing such a thing worth while. On top of that, (nitpicking) the fees for credit card transactions. It would seem there's just not enough profit margin to motivate someone to do this. Unless he's requiring ad's banners and/or popups on the sites with the proceeds going to the company/person running this business. And in that case, he's taking a gamble that the sites will generate a fair amount of traffic. I noticed that he offers skins for 3.00 a month. I haven't investigated it, but I wonder if those skins were done by other authors and being re-sold like this. Also, it didn't really mention the ability to add modifications or your own skins (so I wonder if that means you don't have access to vbulletin.org or what?)

Anyway that's just my 2 cents. The more and more I think about it, the more and more I'm sure I'm just going to buy an owned license with Jelsoft, and mantain the annual subscription for updates.

KidneyBoy

Comment

• Rob-Morgan
                  • Dec 2004

Get an owned, dont be a fool like me!

Comment

• lewisbeech
                    • Apr 2005
                    • 3.6.x

why do people do this?!?
                    all they will do is get into trouble for selling a nullified vBulletin, i am not saying it is, but it is more than likely.

Comment

• brinnie

"Pre-Sales" inquiry?

Comment

• KimmiKat
                        • Jul 2003

When in doubt, snitch 'em out!

While you may get some deals on eBay, I wouldn't get a vB from there.

Also if he's using a leased license, what he's doing seems to be in violation of the license agreement...

"The Software is licensed only to you. You may not rent, lease, sublicence, sell, assign, pledge, transfer or otherwise dispose of the Software in any form, on a temporary or permanent basis, without the prior written consent of Jelsoft."
                        Last edited by KimmiKat; Sat 13 Aug '05, 6:05am.
                        Kim

Comment

• albn
                          • Aug 2005
                          • 3.6.x

Looks fishy to me.

Comment

• poolking
                            • Aug 2002

It could be made legal if he wanted to shell out for hundreds of licences. Nice bit of revenue for jelsoft.

You might see his prices go up quite a bit though.

Comment

• Sovereign
                              • Jun 2004
                              • 3.7.x

Just buy vB direct from the source, IMO. No issues there!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...