Question based off the one instance one install rule, I already read above post

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisGuthrie.net
    • Jul 2005

Question based off the one instance one install rule, I already read above post

So if I had two forums

One at GamingVidz.com which isn't up yet anyway

And another say at Gamealamaavids.com

But each one was a different style, And neither of them pointed at each other, but shared the same users. Does that still mean I have to buy two since they share the same users? I assume it means yes.

If I have to buy two thats not that big of deal I just trying to understand better. Also, if I have several websites all say, centered around gaming is it easy to once someone registers at one site, they don't have to register at the other?
    ChrisGuthrie.net - Forums and Blogging
  • Sovereign
    • Jun 2004
    • 3.7.x

If the two setups of vBulletin are not completely identical (same styles, posts etc) you need two licenses (I think Jelsoft allows multiple copies that show the same forum for server load balancing, don't quote me on it)

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

This would require two licenses. Each license is good for one installation of vBulletin, i.e., one set of vB files on one domain with one set of vB database tables. As per the license agreement:

"vBulletin license grants you the right to run one instance (a single installation) of the Software on one web server and one web site for each license purchased. Each license may power one instance of the Software on one domain. For each installed instance of the Software, a separate license is required. Modifications to the software or database to circumvent the one-license-one-board rule are prohibited."

You can view the license agreement here:

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• wbear
        • Aug 2003

I believe it's per domain. Two domains, two licenses, but they could share one database between them.

[edit] Too slow...Steve is on the case.. [/edit]

Comment

• feldon23
          • Nov 2001
          • 3.7.x

And you're not going to be able to get 2 copies of vBulletin to share users between them.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...