X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dholaholic
    • Jun 2005

phpBBFM to VB3

Hi all!

I'm looking forward to purchase vBulletin 3.07 (latest version) for my site as im re-launching it...

I currently run phpbbFM (fully modded) and now i think it's not exactly good enough to what i would like etc... i really am fond of using vBulletin from now on and before making a payment for my lisence.. I would like to know how would i convert my phpbbFM database into vB3's database without loosing any members / posts / topics etc...???

Could anyone help me out on how to do this successfully as im not really into mysql etc.. i know a little bit about it and saving stuff etc.. lol but i do not know it inside-out... I really do appriciate it if someone could help me out urgently as i want to re-launch the website for Monday.. and this includes me actually buying the forum (vBulletin) and uploading it, testing it, restoring the DB.

Thanks in advance! and sorry if this topic has been made before but i cuddnt find a proper answer on how to come around this problem.
    • Jan 2005

phpbbfm's basic db is structure is the same as per base phpbb's. However I'd first suggest you go from phpbbfm to stock phpbb and then to VB. I've done it and imported over 100,000 posts.

Comment

• dholaholic
      • Jun 2005

ahh crap lol so now im assuming i will have to go on either the phpBB forum or phpbbFM forum on how to convert the fully modded phpbb forum into a normal phpbb forum??

Are there any alternatives of convertining phpbbFM straight to vB?? if not then i guess il have to ask on the other boards.. some one let me know what would be the ideal thing to do please.

Thanks.

Comment

• Ace
        • Apr 2004
        • 4.2.X

Because FM is so totally modified, there's no chance IMPEX will be able to bring over ALL of your data.

ie: You won't get any more imported than a standard phpBB import. You shouldn't have any problems getting your members/posts/topics over...just the sparkley things that FM has won't come with them.
        My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
        vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• dholaholic
          • Jun 2005

Hi Kall,

Thanks for your post.

To be honest i really am not bothered about the suprise features FM has.. lol

All i want really is the members with their details, topics created and the posts and you know the normal stuff... you recon there's an easy way out of this? iv looked into my phpbbFM database via phpmyadmin and i am beginning to save the standard tables that a normal phpBB forum database would have. by doing this i am leaving out all the addons that FM has but in those tables there must be links to the other tables which will not work.. would that cause errors later on if i was to use them tables (coverted) for vB? or you have a better way of getting the relavnt information i need?

Comment

• daemon
            • Jun 2003
            • 3.5.x

Originally posted by dholaholic
            Hi Kall,

Thanks for your post.

To be honest i really am not bothered about the suprise features FM has.. lol

All i want really is the members with their details, topics created and the posts and you know the normal stuff... you recon there's an easy way out of this? iv looked into my phpbbFM database via phpmyadmin and i am beginning to save the standard tables that a normal phpBB forum database would have. by doing this i am leaving out all the addons that FM has but in those tables there must be links to the other tables which will not work.. would that cause errors later on if i was to use them tables (coverted) for vB? or you have a better way of getting the relavnt information i need?
            You actually don't need to do that. vBulletin's importer system is only aware of the stock phpBB installation data. Everything else will be ignored by the system because it doesn't know that it exists. So as long as the regular old phpBB tables are in-tact the import should be able to go without you modifying your existing database. I took a look at both the phpBBFM and the phpBB MySQL table schemas and it does not appear that any of the default table columns have been changed.
            Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

Comment

• Razz
              • Jun 2001

Posted what was said above..doh

Comment

• dholaholic
                • Jun 2005

Originally posted by daemon
                You actually don't need to do that. vBulletin's importer system is only aware of the stock phpBB installation data. Everything else will be ignored by the system because it doesn't know that it exists. So as long as the regular old phpBB tables are in-tact the import should be able to go without you modifying your existing database. I took a look at both the phpBBFM and the phpBB MySQL table schemas and it does not appear that any of the default table columns have been changed.
                Oh cool nice one

So where does this phpbb > vB importer exist? any where i can find it etc..??

Comment

• daemon
                  • Jun 2003
                  • 3.5.x

It's in the Members' Area which you will have access to once you purchase a license. You can find out about what the phpBB importer will import here. And if anything goes wrong with your import, the support staff and the importer developer will probably be able to help you sort it out .
                  Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

Comment

• Semere Liif
                    • Apr 2003

Once you buy vb you can download both vb and the impex importer deisgned to work with vb they are both in the members section.

Comment

• dholaholic
                      • Jun 2005

Wicked

Thanks guys, hopefully by tomorrow now i should get vB.. can't wait to install it now

Thanks for the support. Appriciate it.

Comment

• etterra
                        • May 2005

I'm in the same situation.

I have the Attachment mod installed... will the import into vB loose all the attachments?

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                          • Jun 2002

The current importer for phpBB does import attachments. See http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...06&postcount=2 for details on the phpBB importer
                          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...