Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JayCorcy
    • Mar 2005

Comparing Features... Need Advice

I have been looking at vB for 1 week now. I have been search for other forum scripts as well.

If I am to buy this I want it to be worth it. During my search I found MyBB which is so close. But its missing only two features. The advanced editor and one other thing.

Then there is IPB and phpBB. I dont think i'd pick phpBB. I want to make sure vB is worth it before I spened the money.

I have also looked at the support side and phpBB and IPB dont win with that. So far vB and MyBB win there.

Maybe some staff or members could help me think this over. I'm not wanting to spened 100+ on vBulletin if i'm not happy with it.

I am going to make a general chat/computer help forum. My server meets every thing that vB needs.

I've compared support, Admin CP, and price. So far MyBB and vB win on all three. So i've narrowed it down to those two.

Help please. Any people that could tell me why vB is worth it? How is vB better then MyBB. I mean only two features are missing.

This would be big money i'm speneding so. Any comments why those two features are needed? Or why vB is worth 100+...
  • Quillz
    • Nov 2004
    • 5.0.X

Both vB and MyBB are great pieces of software. And, yes, it seems MyBB can do just about everything vB can do, minus dHTML menus (which is being considered for MyBB Gold) and WYSIWYG editors (also being considered.)

MyBB has the advantage in price- it's free. vB can cost upwards from $85. But remember, you get what you pay for. And vB has some of the best support around. I'm not actually a vB customer, but from what I've seen, it's awesome. MyBB has good support, as well, but the community is smaller, and the software is still in release candidate stages, so the support won't match vB's.

I think you'll find vB is more established, which gives it a sort of "prestige," whether that's fair or not. I think what it really comes down to is how much you are willing to invest in your site. Basically, if you can afford it (and effectively make up for the cost), get vB. If you can't, then go with MyBB. Both will help to make a successful community!
    Forums

Comment

• JayCorcy
      • Mar 2005

Well I have made my mind up. While waiting for someone to help I got some hosting. Deticated Server with cPanel. That will be around 120 a month.

So since I am speneding 120 on hosting i'm going to go with MyBB. Now that I know they might add some more things from vB thats why.

I would of liking some posts from users and staff but it seems they didnt like what I said. I thank you for awnsering.

Maybe if MyBB goes down hill i'll buy vB but not right now. It was hard to choose but I did it after all.

But I do wish Jelsoft the best of luck with the vB project. Hope it all goes well and thanks for the help.
      Last edited by JayCorcy; Sat 19 Mar '05, 7:15pm. Reason: Spelling Error

Comment

• Quillz
        • Nov 2004
        • 5.0.X

I'm sure Jelsoft understands vB isn't for everyone.

MyBB is just getting started, so I think you'll have some fun with it! It won't be going downhill anytime soon.
        Forums

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

Thanks Jay,

Sorry to hear you did not decicde to go with vBulletin.

But if I may ask, why are you going to spend 120 a month on hosting?

I was on shared hosting for 2 years, I am still on shared hosting (altho I do rent the server myself, but i host others on it)

Unless you already have some sort of huge fan base, and then at that point you might want to go with some sort of forum package that has the support backing it.

Comment

• JayCorcy
            • Mar 2005

Well I have heard that when forums get big bandwith and taking a toll on the server is a issue.

Just so I dont have to switch later on I am getting the 120 package now. The deticated servers have more support and you get more options in cPanel.

I'm sorry I didnt pick vBulletin and i'm sure its a great forum software just kinda high in price.

If I was to get vBulletin that would be alot of money going towards the forum. So thats why.

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

When forums get big, bandwith can be a toll on the forum, but I am not sure if its THAT big of a toll.

Of some big forum owners i know.

www.cosforums.com about 200GB a month and they are on the smaller side of what is considered a LArge forum

Comment

• whitetigergrowl
                • Jun 2004
                • 5.1.x

The question is, is your site already that big to have a need to pay $120 for hosting, or are you just playing it safe? Because honestly if it's already not using a lot of bandwidth, it would just be a waste of money on your part to pay that much for webhosting. I pay $100 a month for dedicated hosting, with Cpanel and the whole shebang. I get 1 GB bandwidth, 80GB hard drive...etc etc. And the ONLY REASON it uses even half of that bandwidth is because I have large files available for download. I also have 2,800+ members that are active.

Regardless, I wouldn't count my chickens before they've hatched. It took me 1 year just to reach 2,800 members. Paying that much a month for something that hasn't even taken off IS a waste of money, money that. But to each their own. It sounds to me that unless you already have a successful site, you are getting way ahead of yourself IMO.

I also may not be an expert with MYBB, but how easy to use and how good is their skinning system? Are there alot of good skins available that would be of use or be able to integrate with your site easily? BTW, have you tried VB's admin demo?

Comment

• JayCorcy
                  • Mar 2005

Well if you would like to know the biggest reason why I picked MyBB. I read a story about a vB forum getting hacked.

The hacker said he/she got in by just typing in the Admins username. Then created a new account and deleted the rest.

I read this story just 3 days ago and since then the site has been shut down.
                  I think this was version 3.0.7.

Which is the latest version I think. I have never heard such a thing before! It scared me out of using vB.

If the forum would get a lot of visitors there is a high chance of the forum getting hacked.

Comment

• whitetigergrowl
                    • Jun 2004
                    • 5.1.x

It's not that easy to hack a forum, or mine woulda been hacked a long time ago. Especially with how many members my site has. It sounds like a story to me too. My site has used VB3 for about a year with 2,800+ members and I have had no known hack attempts. SOme people use small/short/easy to figure out passwords and blame someone for hacking their forum...when in reality it was their shortcoming. It's no easier to hack a VB3 board than it is a MYBB or IPB 2 board. Or any board for that fact. Typing in just someones admin name will not grant a person access to their account. They would need to crack the password. And too many people use short and easy to figure out passwords.

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

Can you point me specificly to this post/thread?

There are going to be security issues, with every product.

even if you have the most secure forum software in the world, prefectly coded, no issues, no bugs.

You still have server security, and other software on the server that could be the reason of the problem.

At the present time there are no known security issues with vBulletin 3 that can do that sort of damanage.

However, if one does arise, we will fix it and make a patch avaible as soon as humanly possible. In the past most security issues we have been notified of are fixed within 24-48 hours. Its what you pay for.

Comment

• JayCorcy
                        • Mar 2005

I'm not sure what to think of it. I found it on google while researching and it make me think...

I dont want my last post to scare others out of vB tho. I just was shocked and the hacker made the post on his/her blog.

It said she/her only put in the username and nothing else and it paused for a long time and then loaded to the admin screen.

It just shocked me and I didnt want to take the chance. I just was going "What?" and then read some good things about vB.

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by JayCorcy
                          I'm not sure what to think of it. I found it on google while researching and it make me think...

I dont want my last post to scare others out of vB tho. I just was shocked and the hacker made the post on his/her blog.

It said she/her only put in the username and nothing else and it paused for a long time and then loaded to the admin screen.

It just shocked me and I didnt want to take the chance. I just was going "What?" and then read some good things about vB.
                          That is not possible with a stock instalation.....

Comment

• whitetigergrowl
                            • Jun 2004
                            • 5.1.x

I'm just curious why you pay so much for a dedicated host if your site hasn't (as I understand) had a chance to even start or grow. Start small then go big if you need to. It'll save you alot of money in the end too.

Comment

• JayCorcy
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Zachery
                              That is not possible with a stock instalation.....
                              I searched "vB Hacks" and I remember it took me to a site and then I folllowed another link to a blog.

There was the post and I dont remember the URL. I have no idea if it is true or not. I'm thinking some how he/she got the password.

I'm happy to bring this to your attention if it is a issue that needs fixed. But as far as I know its true.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...